Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityTodd View Post
My wife has lived here for 25 years, and she still loves it as much as I do. Some people just can't take change, and EVERY city is always changing.

And I arrived in 1969. In fact, we moved to the ranch (because 4 horses and growing wouldn't fit on and weren't allowed on our lot 5 minutes from downtown Austin) probably just after your wife arrived (while still keeping our house in town), and it was endangered then.

Yes, change is inevitable. But there is good change and bad change. Whenever someone says or implies that change in inevitable, I always think of Clayton Williams, who lost the governorship of Texas by comparing weather to rape, saying "If it's inevitable, just lie back and enjoy it." Sorry, but I'm not inclined to and didn't lie back and enjoy rape (of myself or of the City of Austin). Its character has been bought and sold like a mess of pottage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 10:05 PM

39 posts, read 77,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And I arrived in 1969. In fact, we moved to the ranch (because 4 horses and growing wouldn't fit on and weren't allowed on our lot 5 minutes from downtown Austin) probably just after your wife arrived (while still keeping our house in town), and it was endangered then.

Yes, change is inevitable. But there is good change and bad change. Whenever someone says or implies that change in inevitable, I always think of Clayton Williams, who lost the governorship of Texas by comparing weather to rape, saying "If it's inevitable, just lie back and enjoy it." Sorry, but I'm not inclined to and didn't lie back and enjoy rape (of myself or of the City of Austin). Its character has been bought and sold like a mess of pottage.

Amen!

Old 09-02-2018, 10:29 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Quote:
Well ... I mean, I would leave for Oregon/Colorado tomorrow if I could. The wife won't move so far from her family though ... and inside of Texas? There's nothing close to Austin for what I'm looking for in a city. I still think this is the best place in the state. Just too stupid hot ... but then that is the entire state. At least it's not doubled up with ridiculous humidity like it is in Houston.
Quote:
Obviously personal taste and all, these things are subjective. But as someone who lived in Houston for over 30 years, and whose children and grandchildren live there still so I'm back all of the time - I think it's a giant *&#@stain of a city that I would never willingly live in again. Traffic there is far worse than Austin. One of the ugliest cities anywhere. Of the 4 major metros in Texas, Houston is an extremely distant 4th to any of the other big 3.
I moved from Nashville to Austin in '75. You guys not experiencing Austin in the '70's have no idea of that legendary time and the charms of a small Austin with its big smorgasborde of entertinment and laid back diversions. You could go hear future famous people at Soap Creek Saloon where 360 and Bee Cave road now intersect. Or then famous people at the huge Armadillo World Headquarters and beer garden. You could ride your bike to the closest Good Food Store, all of which were in frame houses with trees and easy street access. The city was perfused with the sentiment "don't you just love it"

But about Houston. You know the watering restrictions in July/August up there, and droughts? We don't have them in Houston. I can keep my lawn green year round here. We can get rainstorms in August that take the temps down to 80 when you guys are at 98, admittedly causing humidity when it gets ack to the 90's. Plus Houston has a booming arts scene that Austin will never have nor any other city in the South for that matter. Yeah large parts of the city are ugly and any city with a gigantic lower middle class income population is going to have difficulty with beautification in those districts. But you know what? Those people need jobs and Houston provides for them. And parts are beautiful like the Museum District and residential neighborhoods inside the loop like Southhampton or West U or Bellaire or River Oaks or Upper Kirby. Austin nor any other Texas city have fabulous/ slightly funky urban districts comparing to The Heights or Montrose. More trees are planted every year in Houston than any other city in the country and it is becoming an urban forest. The city has probably a hundred miles or more of live oak lined streets like other Texas cities will never have. And frankly the shear vastness of the the place and its expansion is really mind blowing and does not detract from the historical character - unlike what growth has done to Austin. I find myself frequently asking questions of Houston natives about the history of the place, and I never did that in the two times I lived in Austin.

Last edited by groovamos; 09-02-2018 at 10:47 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 10:51 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I moved from Nashville to Austin in '75. You guys not experiencing Austin in the '70's have no idea of that legendary time and the charms of a small Austin with its big smorgasborde of entertinment and laid back diversions. You could go hear future famous people at Soap Creek Saloon where 360 and Bee Cave road now intersect. Or then famous people at the huge Armadillo World Headquarters and beer garden. You could ride your bike to the closest Good Food Store, all of which were in frame houses with trees and easy street access. The city was perfused with the sentiment "don't you just love it"

But about Houston. You know the watering restrictions in July/August up there, and droughts? We don't have them in Houston. I can keep my lawn green year round here. We can get rainstorms in August that take the temps down to 80 when you guys are at 98, admittedly causing humidity when it gets ack to the 90's. Plus Houston has a booming arts scene that Austin will never have nor any other city in the South for that matter. Yeah large parts of the city are ugly and any city with a gigantic lower middle class income population is going to have difficulty with beautification in those districts. But you know what? Those people need jobs and Houston provides for them. And parts are beautiful like the Museum District and residential neighborhoods inside the loop like Southhampton or West U or Bellaire or River Oaks or Upper Kirby. Austin nor any other Texas city have fabulous/ slightly funky urban districts comparing to The Heights or Montrose. More trees are planted every year in Houston than any other city in the country and it is becoming an urban forest. The city has probably a hundred miles or more of live oak lined streets like other Texas cities will never have. And frankly the shear vastness of the the place and its expansion is really mind blowing and does not detract from the historical character - unlike what growth has done to Austin. I find myself frequently asking questions of Houston natives about the history of the place, and I never did that in the two times I lived in Austin.
Shhhh!! Stop spreading the word about Houston. Let all the Californians continue to ruin Austin and DALLAS and leave Houston for us.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:38 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post

plus houston is only 30 minutes (or less) from the coast.

I really do like houston and would def be willing to live there.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:24 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
I thought it sucked when the old national guard armory that had been converted to a roller skating rink in the 1950s was taken over by Wilson and made into a hippie music venue. Lots of good high school memories were made while skating around with the girls.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:27 PM

71 posts, read 56,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
plus houston is only 30 minutes (or less) from the coast.

I really do like houston and would def be willing to live there.
Galveston has the worst beaches I've ever seen anywhere. You couldn't pay me to go there 🤢🤢

Old 09-03-2018, 07:13 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I thought it sucked when the old national guard armory that had been converted to a roller skating rink in the 1950s was taken over by Wilson and made into a hippie music venue. Lots of good high school memories were made while skating around with the girls.
Yeah right all those hippies like Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Willis Alan Ramsey, Charlie Daniels, they just ruined the place. They so much more boring than kids on skates.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:45 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
I wasn’t into Country or Outlaw in the 60s, was a Beatles fan.

But learned to love Waylon in the 90s.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:06 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I can tell you that most of the people that lived here in the 80s - artists, musicians, students, etc - were all trying to achieve better than what they were living in at the time. Most were very poor and not thinking 'wow, we love being poor, I hope it stays this way!'. Yes, it was 'cheap', but we all had to have roommates and share costs and eat ramen noodles because you couldn't find a job that paid more than minimum wage. We scraped money together to pay the rent and buy gas. Yes, we also managed to have a lot of fun, but the fact that times were very difficult seem to be somehow forgotten. I had many a friend that couldn't afford to stay and finish school even back then. Others, like myself, busted our butts waiting tables and trying to make ends meet. Sure, we had some free time to enjoy Austin, but it definitely came at a price.

For people that had money, it was, of course, great - cheap music! No crowds! Lots of college kids! But that was not the experience of most of the 80s Austinites. Those of us that lived here back then decided we did want to stay. We ended up making some money. We wanted to buy a nicer house and actually raise kids w/o hookers walking down our street in S. Austin. The Austin now is as much a result of the 70s and 80s residents as it is a result of people moving here from elsewhere.

The real comparison is to look at the college-aged kids now and compare to then...are they still struggling to pay rent? They still working jobs to make ends meet (and not quite succeeding)? Are they still having fun when they aren't working/studying/whatever? My bet is that they are, but in 30 years they will be bitching about the loss of the character of Austin and how it was destroyed by people moving here.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin