Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 925 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone knows a good auto site that isn't filled with dealers or dealers posing as individuals?

I was looking through Craigslist and FBM for a used suv to have as a spare and came upon a one on CL with 143k miles that interested my HB. The ad stated the usual and that the seller's name was on the title. We went to look at it yesterday at a Walmart and it appeared to be in good condition and drove well. There were some strange issues though. The car had a temporary tag on it and when I asked why, the seller stated that he sold a car before with the actual plate and the buyer ran up toll charges he had to pay for. That still didn't explain it having a temporary tag but he started prattling on about something else.

During the test drive I asked if it had been in a wreck and he said no. I also asked if he was the only owner and he said no but it had been in his family since it was purchased brand new. His brother used it before. I asked if he bought a new car, was that why he was selling? He said not yet but he was looking for an Accord. (So where did the temp tag come from??) Keep in mind at this point, I had no idea dealers posed as regular sellers. The last car I bought was at an actual Acura dealer a few years ago. And before that was in college from a man who bought salvaged cars and rebuilt them. Well-known throughout the student popluation.

Anyway we get back to WM after the test drive and my HB asks if the price is negotiable. Seller asks what is he offering and I say that the Edmunds value is 3k. My HB offers 3500 cash right then. He was asking 4800. He immediately starts saying no, no, no that's not the value and tells me to look at KBB. They list it at 3500 to 5300. But I have been told many times KBB values are inflated.
I'm not interested anymore at that point but my HB still haggles with him. He offers 4k and guy still says no. The seller finally says he can do 4300. I tell my HB no, let's go we'll think about it overnight. As you should do!

So my husband still keeps saying 4k, it's a 2006 vehicle so it doesn't have a lot of life left in it. Guy says no, gets in the car and drives away. My husband was shocked at his behavior. I figured he wants what he wants, it's his car and he can sell it for whatever he wants.

So we talk for a while and he tells me to message the guy and offer 4200 final, which I still didn't agree with. Oh and the guy doesn't answer phone calls only texts. Twenty minutes later he agrees to 4200 so I ask for the vin (YES I know, should've asked for it to begin with). He sends me a blurry pic, then follows up with the wrong number. It was invalid according to Carfax. I ask him to send me a clear pic so he sends a pic of a portion of the title showing the vin which also listed the previous buyer's name. I pull the free report and see there is a mileage discrepancy noted during the emissions testing in mid August and also that a new buyer was registered Aug 1st. Upon further review the mileage was listed at 177k in 2016 and 157k in 2014, both at the Honda dealer. So someone messed with the odometer and I'm assuming the seller did. The previous buyer's name also didn't match up with one someone from the seller's ethnic group would have been given. 99% sure the person was not a family member. HB tells me to ask the guy about the mileage problem so I ask if he knows there is a mileage discrepancy on the Carfax report. He says it's probably an error but Texas doesn't require the mileage on vehicles over 10 years old. So he is familiar with the law about mileage exemption on a title. Then it was concrete that he was doing something shady.

I found him on FBM last night and saw he also had an Accord for sale lol. So I've been looking for regular sellers since but keep seeing these types of people. Like the wife lists a car and husband lists a different one. Brother lists another. That kind of stuff. It seems almost all the ads are like this. And I know it shouldn't matter if the car's a good deal and it runs, who cares how it was procurred as long as it's legal. The lying off the bat bothers me. Like saying you're selling your family car when you bought it at the auction last month. Does this bother other people or am I just looney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 05:04 PM

319 posts, read 346,246 times
Autotrader has both dealers and (a few) individuals.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:43 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Why not buy from a reputable dealer?
CarGurus has both dealer and individual listings, so that's another avenue.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:38 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Carmax usually has some pretty nice looking late model vehicles and the cars come with 5 day money back guarantee a 30 day repair warranty and you can pay extra for an extended warranty.

https://www.carmax.com/

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 09-23-2018 at 12:56 AM..

Old 09-23-2018, 05:46 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
I think your first problem is where you are looking, CL and Facebook are prime for scams and weirdos.

Car Max would be my first choice. My first two vehicles were from car Max. I was going to pick one up from the north Austin location this summer, but due to their solid no negocios policy it was just a bit too much so I passed. I wandered down to Kia if south Austin and got a similar car with a bit of dealing (with a few less bells and whistles) and I am happy with the results. If you are looking for something like a cash car (for something like 6k) there are a few dealers that have those types of cars. Search on car guru, caravana or autotrader for the price you’re looking at.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:22 AM

It has been a few years; but I had a smooth(relatively) transaction selling a vehicle on Craigs here in Austin. Buyer posted a WTB ad and I responded and all went well on a $2000 car.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:29 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
I've bought and sold a lot of cars on CL. Fake ads are usually easy to spot. Do your homework on type of car and be willing to pay for a report prior to pulling the trigger on a deal.

I won't pay a dealer for an older used car. The dealer bump in price is normally a deal breaker.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 AM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
Walmart should be a clue too. Reputable people do not do business in a Walmart parking lot.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Walmart should be a clue too. Reputable people do not do business in a Walmart parking lot.

Our deal was done in a Randall's parking lot. I would have been fine with a WalMart lot.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:50 AM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Our deal was done in a Randall's parking lot. I would have been fine with a WalMart lot.
Walmart gives me the creeps. That is all there is to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: