Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:23 AM

20 posts, read 20,094 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Austin due to a job transfer but we have been looking into Texas for some time. We have older children that attend college in Texas already. Can you please advise me on areas to look into my husband works from home so commute not a issue. Looking for a well ranked High school for our incoming Freshman. Good sports and welcoming feeling. Looking to spend $300k to $600k. We want beautiful views being a priority and also looking for amenities like swimming pools, tennis, basketball courts and Possible lake privileges. Looking for a welcoming area to new comers too. Love Bbq and music. We are outdoors type family enjoying Paddles Boarding, Walking trails and lakes. We also love the idea of being a flight away to Caribbean vacations during the super hot months of summer!
Thank u so much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 2,962 times
Bump it up to 600k for all that and expect stagnating (or falling) home prices for the next 5 years with rising interest rates. Caveat Emptor

Old 10-04-2018, 10:42 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,643,503 times
Maybe try a search of the forum.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:22 AM

234 posts, read 291,169 times
We are in Lakeway, and love it. Daughter started Lake Travis High School as a freshman this year.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:02 PM

20 posts, read 20,094 times
Thank you for response! How does your freshman like it ? Has she adjusted well with new friends?
That’s my only concern is taking our child away from a familiar setting and going some where new.
We are looking at Spicewood, bee cave, all around there. Any other areas you would recommend?
Any tips would be appreciated! I have been seeing prices between $350k to $600k do you think that’s possible?

Old 10-04-2018, 04:35 PM

My daughter really likes Lake Travis High School. This area is growing like crazy, so there are tons of new kids coming into the school every year. They have been very welcoming to the whole family. The principal is a straight shooter and really seems great so far!

Lake Travis High School is a really good school. Very large, like 3400 kids. The campus is like a small college. They are VERY sports-minded! To put it mildly. One of the best high school football teams in the country, certainly one of the top 2 or 3 in the state of Texas. Baker Mayfield played here, most recent Heisman Trophy winner and current "savior" of the Cleveland Browns... My daughter could not care less about football. Homecoming game is tomorrow night. I am going with my wife, daughter is hanging out with friends and not going

We were locked in on Old Lakeway from the start of our search. We've been coming up here to spend time on Lake Travis forever, so this is really the only place we looked. Can't really comment on the other areas you mentioned.

I think your budget might be OK, depending on how much actual house you want. Do you want new construction, or are you OK with an older home? Are you OK with a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom ranch house that is 2200 sf, or do you require a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom 4500 sf place? Beyond that, the biggest wild card is your desire for a "view". We have a panoramic Lake Travis view, and we spent above your budget. We really wanted lake front, but the costs are astronomical for a good lake front home. For example, there is a vacant lakefront lot for sale near me that is asking double what we paid for our lake view home. It is literally across the street from me. If you are cool with a good "hill country" view, that is not necessarily a lake view, that opens it up even more.

My advice is to work Zillow, and come for a visit to check out some homes. Given that your husband works from home and doesn't need to commute into Austin is a huge bonus for you. The biggest knock on this area is the bad commute into town. I am semi retired and work from home too, so it's all good for us!

I have a real estate agent that I like, if you are interested. Send me a private message if you want more...

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2018, 04:58 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,316,752 times
maybe Lakeway

Old 10-04-2018, 05:06 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,088,737 times
there are so many areas that meet your criteria. But the main hill country accessible schools that would have homes in your price range are dripping springs, lake travis, vandegrift, cedar park, and leander.

Check out steiner ranch. It is a master planned community with all the amenities you mentioned. Great views, the very end of steiner has lake austin access.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:52 PM

230 posts, read 543,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gang Panang Bang View Post
Bump it up to 600k for all that and expect stagnating (or falling) home prices for the next 5 years with rising interest rates. Caveat Emptor
You must be fun at parties.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson78641 View Post
You must be fun at parties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQI0E1WCLMU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin