Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:54 PM

949 posts, read 572,763 times

Advertisements

I hope it keeps the people away from here, but I doubt I will be that lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 02:38 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
I hope it keeps the people away from here, but I doubt I will be that lucky.

Last week gets them here, this week makes them question why they moved here. MOST Octobers sucks, from here down to Floresville and everywhere in between. I tried to find some averages and historic data but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. But, the years of 1998. 2001 and 2015 all make be think of wet gross Octobers. I'm sure there were others that were wet too, but those really stick out for me.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:57 PM

436 posts, read 570,699 times
This thread cracks me up, for personal reasons. A while back during a HoA (kinda) meeting for the neighborhood the residents were up in arms over the changes to curb level that the city did, knocked our 8 inch curbs down to 4 inches to save on paving cost when they redid the roads. Well we have some "hills" in windsor hills. These new curbs were not such a big deal at the top of the hills where I am at, but at the bottom....yea there was a problem. See do not have any major drainage system in place. The way this old neighborhood has always worked is the curbs channeled all the rain to the bottom of the hills and around to the creeks and ponds (which are lovely). Suddenly those curbs were....not so much any more. So cut to the meeting with the city and contractor, and I quote: "The Engineer for the contractor has assured us that there will be no problems with the curbs as long as we do not have any tropical storms".
*NEAR RIOT ENSUES*
As we quickly found out during the meeting the engineer was a recent transplant from California, She had not been in Texas for very long, did not bother to read up on its weather patterns and made some interesting assumptions with Texas being a "desert" and all. Curbs are still the same today, and they keep getting some damage down there from time to time.
I stopped going to the meetings about this time, too depressing and I had just about made my mind up to plan my exit from here.

For you new folks, Tropical Storms reaching Austin are not unheard of to put it mildly. If the coast gets hit with one or a Hurricane, we get the leftovers.

Snowpacked, buddy, that ship has sailed my friend.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Some of you don't remember the long stretch of dry weather we had from Mother's Day to Labor Day. It virtually didn't rain at all during that time. The lake dropped a lot. The weather is just making up.

Typically, Austin is rainiest in the fall and spring. October has ALWAYS BEEN a very wet month. Two years in a row it rained on Halloween and Onion Creek was the target. This is unusual that it rained in the Hill Country so much but I remembered 2009 was like this as well. In retrospect Onion Creek is getting a break this year.

This pattern looks to last for quite some time too.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:11 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
You know how every time you wash your car it rains? Well I bought a new car last month and it's been raining since! I don't mind the rain but I would like to see my new car clean for more than a day!

I guess I'll have my chance, someday.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:09 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Is it normally like this? It is rainier here than it was in Atlanta. I've always thought of Texas to be dry with occasional storms. Not complaining, but I didn't realize it rained so often here.
We left Atlanta in '08, just after a SERIOUS two-year drought. During the next year, ATL got 20 inches of rain in one day, flooding sections of the Interstates, putting Six Flags under water.

Mother Nature is a fickle mistress.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:21 PM

67 posts, read 58,277 times
runninjt

will you people stop with the bashing of Californians, your live and let live. is reallly the problem

Old 10-16-2018, 08:37 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Is it normally like this? It is rainier here than it was in Atlanta. I've always thought of Texas to be dry with occasional storms. Not complaining, but I didn't realize it rained so often here.
may of 2015 was worst than this (in my humble opinion)

Old 10-17-2018, 07:56 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
may of 2015 was worst than this (in my humble opinion)
Rain totals for the month of May 2015 in Austin was about 18 inches. https://www.weather.gov/media/ewx/wx...x-20150524.pdf

I am struggling to find the current month rainfall. I don't believe we've come anywhere near that as of yet.

However, these are two completely different scenarios. May was a flash flood event with too much rain at once. The ground could not absorb the amount of rain the area got. Currently, our ground is still recovering from our summer dry spell and with the slow steady rain we've had the past 8ish weeks the ground has had time to absorb all the rain, at least in Austin (Llano and northwest of Austin is another story). There may be a weather person out there that can say how much more rain we can absorb until we do start seeing the area flood.

These scenarios are so drastically different I think comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges. Two completely different set-ups. This is an over running situation where moisture from the pacific and the gulf have just stalled out on top of us. From what I recall from May was that it was mostly moisture from the gulf that heated up and trained over the south and central Texas area. Too much rain in too much of a short time (heck we missed the rain by about an hour as it started to pour right after the CapTex Triathlon). Another scenario that was similar to this was the Halloween flood in 2015, too much rain in too short of a time in one area, Onion Creek.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
...and it is all about where the rain falls - the rainfall IN Austin hasn't really been that bad; however, there are huge amounts of rain falling across the hill country this month. There is a large swath right over the Llano River basin that has had 10-13" of rain in the last two weeks. So while Austin has had 3" to 6" of rain in the same time period, it doesn't reflect the effects on the lakes at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin