U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:03 PM

19,898 posts, read 36,484,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
From the airport west on 71, 290, to Mopac, and in my neighborhood in SW Austin. Also up and down Lamar. Pretty much everywhere. I wouldn't have noticed either without the reference point of riding on smoother roads then returning. Sort of like when you visit Colorado and return and notice how ugly Austin is, how trashy our roads and streets look as well.

Sounds like you're burning out on the city, Steve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 02:02 PM

9,306 posts, read 8,459,213 times
I can't see that much trash on the roadways right now but I think it's because the grass is so high. Wow, it's like feet high in some medians. That's not to say the trash isn't there, it's just the trash is hidden underneath there. I'm sure when they mow it'll reveal lots of cut up trash.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:59 PM

2,605 posts, read 1,761,944 times
Quote:
From the airport west on 71, 290, to Mopac, and in my neighborhood in SW Austin. Also up and down Lamar. Pretty much everywhere. I wouldn't have noticed either without the reference point of riding on smoother roads then returning. Sort of like when you visit Colorado and return and notice how ugly Austin is, how trashy our roads and streets look as well.
I haven't noticed it. I was out earlier today on 38th Street, Guadalupe by UT, Menchaca, South Lamar, Westgate, and Wm Cannon, and made a concious effort to look at the condition of the streets I drove on and they all seemed ok. There were patches here and there but nothing like pot holes or bumps that made for a bumpy ride. Patches shows the roads are being taken care of. With no patches, the roads in Austin would be in bad shape.

Austin is not a poor city. Austin is a boom town with many potential high dollar income newcomers and plus all the tourists from all over the world who spend millions of dollars each year in Austin that the city won't allow something as important as the roads to fall into bad shape. Not too many things can make a town seem rundown and unappealing to tourists and potential newcomers than having many miles of city roads in a bad state of disrepair.

Our taxes are so in high Austin there's really no excuse for the city to just let the roads go. That's how I see it.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:22 AM

7,854 posts, read 7,850,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I can't see that much trash on the roadways right now but I think it's because the grass is so high. Wow, it's like feet high in some medians. That's not to say the trash isn't there, it's just the trash is hidden underneath there. I'm sure when they mow it'll reveal lots of cut up trash.
The city should darn sure get the community service crews out to really scour all those overgrown medians & right of ways to pick up the trash that is undoubtedly hidden there before mowing.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The city should darn sure get the community service crews out to really scour all those overgrown medians & right of ways to pick up the trash that is undoubtedly hidden there before mowing.
They can't and they won't...

Old 10-26-2018, 12:25 PM

268 posts, read 684,857 times
Ok, then TX dot should.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:20 PM

2,989 posts, read 6,237,259 times
I’m back in Austin this weekend after being away for almost a year, and I forgot how bad the roads were. Especially with how poorly the construction sites are managed, it seems almost third-world-y at times. I absolutely love this town, but after working in a few other states’ transportation industries in both design and construction, the roads are here legitimately embarrassing.

Colorado has the same issue with the gas tax not being raised since 1993 (all tax raises have to go to public referendum, even the set-price gas tax), but they’ve made up for it a somewhat with car registration fees and passing bonds.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:24 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,152,596 times
Quote:
Just returned from a week in California, where I had a rental car and drove a lot. I noticed while there in San Diego two things:

1) The uniformity and consistency of the road markings, intersections, signs, and general design and layout of roads is vastly superior to the disjointed, inconsistent and poorly thought out roads we drive on in Austin. I grew up in California and forgot how completely sensible and practical cloverleaf intersections are.

2) Upon returning, I also realized how bumby almost all the roads in Austin feel compared to those in San Diego.

I'm not for turning Austin into another California, but if that were to happen, I'll take the road system for sure over the mess we have. Has anyone else noticed this?

Steve
Maybe the car you rented had a smoother suspension?
Just a thought.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB817 View Post
Ok, then TX dot should.
We'll be lucky if TxDOT even cuts the grass.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:46 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,014,796 times
I noticed over the past several months several roads that turn left onto the IH-35 access road have been changed from double turn lanes to single, which makes it particularly bad during rush hours. I find it an odd decision seeing as we have just as much if not more traffic each week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or