U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:23 PM

2,626 posts, read 1,784,951 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why so many people think that Austin has such horrible drivers because that's never been my experience. I find the drivers in Austin to be extremely courteous, especially when you're trying to change lanes or pull out onto a busy street, most motorists will patiently let you change lanes or pull out.

I think the worst drivers in Austin are people who don't live in the Austin Metro area. It's the people who aren't use to Austin or know their way around and are unsure of exactly where they are suppose to be going. Austin can be an intimidating city to drive in for a person who is not familiar with Austin or familiar with driving in big city, fast-moving traffic, can make a driver pretty nervous, and when a person is nervous driving in heavy traffic, that's when they make dumb mistakes and cause other drivers to become annoyed with them.

For example, Friday afternoon on Southbound Mopac at the light at Wm Cannon. I was on the inside lane of a double left turn behind a nice looking late model F-150 truck with a Seguin Matador sticker in the back window when after the light turned green, the driver started to go straight instead of turning left onto Wm Cannon, and he nearly hit a Toyota Camry that was on the outside lane of the double left turning left. If the driver of the Toyota Camry hadn't laid on his horn, that truck would have hit it. I assumed the driver was from Seguin - (due to the Seguin Matador sticker in the back window) - wasn't use to Austin traffic and might not have even heard of a double left turn. Double left turns aren't near as common in small towns like they are in Austin and Houston and other big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 AM

4,910 posts, read 2,408,309 times
The drivers in Austin are a bunch of incompetent, dangerous fools. I thought people in miami drove bad until I moved here. Its horrible.

The worst thing that pisses me off are the people that will turn in front of you when your going 65 mph , causing you to slam on your brakes.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:28 AM

53 posts, read 50,971 times
I moved here from Atlanta a month ago and I'm so happy with the drivers here. I can actually relax while driving now!

Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 AM

661 posts, read 280,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
^ itís hot just an interstate thing. The drivers are incredibly inconsiderate and ignorant throughout be metro. Iíve treuly never seen anything like it. If you thought the southern charm was something that austin was apart of well my god are you wrong. It doesnít need to be a big city for a rat race. More road rage then anywhere.
Spend a day in Houston if you want to see actual inconsiderate and ignorant drivers

Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 AM

12,161 posts, read 27,866,639 times
I have worked all over the country.

Everyone thinks they have the worst drivers, more or less (or think they have the absolute best). Doesn't seem to be any difference, really - many areas have quirks that require a bit of a learning curve, but drivers are not across the board better or worse anywhere that I have worked/lived.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:18 AM

2,312 posts, read 1,442,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I have worked all over the country.

Everyone thinks they have the worst drivers, more or less (or think they have the absolute best). Doesn't seem to be any difference, really - many areas have quirks that require a bit of a learning curve, but drivers are not across the board better or worse anywhere that I have worked/lived.
This is so exactly right. All of these melting pot cities have the same issue. Adjust to how folks drive locally.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:17 PM

10,194 posts, read 9,425,145 times
New York is the worst lol...one of the drivers decided to merge suddenly, cars be damned, and caused my mom to go onto the shoulder.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:28 PM

65 posts, read 21,799 times
I don’t know about the skill of the drivers, but traffic in LA, Atlanta, HOUSTON, and DC are all significantly worse than Austin. Austin is bad (in certain spots at certain times especially), but it has nothing on some of the other major metros around.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM

311 posts, read 161,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't understand why so many people think that Austin has such horrible drivers because that's never been my experience. I find the drivers in Austin to be extremely courteous, especially when you're trying to change lanes or pull out onto a busy street, most motorists will patiently let you change lanes or pull out.

I think the worst drivers in Austin are people who don't live in the Austin Metro area. It's the people who aren't use to Austin or know their way around and are unsure of exactly where they are suppose to be going. Austin can be an intimidating city to drive in for a person who is not familiar with Austin or familiar with driving in big city, fast-moving traffic, can make a driver pretty nervous, and when a person is nervous driving in heavy traffic, that's when they make dumb mistakes and cause other drivers to become annoyed with them.

For example, Friday afternoon on Southbound Mopac at the light at Wm Cannon. I was on the inside lane of a double left turn behind a nice looking late model F-150 truck with a Seguin Matador sticker in the back window when after the light turned green, the driver started to go straight instead of turning left onto Wm Cannon, and he nearly hit a Toyota Camry that was on the outside lane of the double left turning left. If the driver of the Toyota Camry hadn't laid on his horn, that truck would have hit it. I assumed the driver was from Seguin - (due to the Seguin Matador sticker in the back window) - wasn't use to Austin traffic and might not have even heard of a double left turn. Double left turns aren't near as common in small towns like they are in Austin and Houston and other big cities.

There may be some outsiders like the truck you mentioned above but my opinion is that most of the "bad" drivers are actually the original Austinites. The people you call courteous are really the problem because when Austin changed from a small town to a relatively large city, they did not adopt. There are more cars that are trying to go to a place and if you let someone change lane from a left only lane to a straight lane, you are slowing everyone down. I see it on 360 crossing over 183 every day. If it were in Dallas, the person who went into left only lane would be forced to turn left, no cutting allowed. After one incident, the person would learn either to not trick others or to know his road. Here people tolerate lane cutting, red light running, and all kind of bad behavior. Sorry, that's not courtesy, it IS the problem.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 PM

1,090 posts, read 670,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I still think that the worst drivers are in Houston
Fair point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin