U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 12:14 PM

10,296 posts, read 9,590,577 times

Advertisements

If you move farther out, it's with the understanding that your commute will be longer. Aquitaine was right in the other thread, the transit (specifically rail) window is closing each year. I'll be dead before Austin gets a comprehensive mass transit system, so I'm not holding my breath when it comes to rail. At least Round Rock and Georgetown have implemented bus service. I take that into downtown. My commute is still an hour door to door but at least I don't *have* to drive on 35. The downside is limited service, but it's in its infancy so we'll see. Municipal governments aren't going to pay for transit if people aren't going to take it and judging by the public response to RR getting bus service (where people were complaining about potential crime issues, homeless people, etc.) then the limited service will likely continue for some time. Oh well.

We sold our Pflugerville house three years ago and had the option to move closer in. However, we chose to move farther north (thereby adding an additional 13 mins to my commute) but in exchange we got the house we love, the lot we wanted, wooded area, etc. So I just deal with the commute because the house and area mattered more to me. It all comes down to what matters more to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 PM

1,231 posts, read 531,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
We didn't advise you because you said you were okay with a long commute. But now you're saying otherwise.
Apologies if there is a misunderstanding or something.

I'm not complaining about my specific commute. 90% of the time my commute is no more than 10 - 15 minutes with an occasional delay that at most has pushed it up to aprox 40 minutes. But I live pretty close to where I work - 8 miles (close to me, coming from Atlanta where I have commuted over 50 miles one way to work.)

Infact not really complaining at all, what I am trying to do is find out what will happen to these corridors as Austin grows mainly because it seems like they are already at their limits and Austin seems only to be just beginning as far as growth is concerned. I do not use regularly. F.M. 2222 I only use when I'm going downtown (I don't work downtown.). I do use F.M. 620 but is typically in the opposite direction of the flow of traffic during commute hours.

On a side note, how large do you think Austin will become? Is it unrealistic to think of it growing to the size of the current San Antonio?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-23-2018 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 PM

10,296 posts, read 9,590,577 times
Austin will not surpass San Antonio. That would only be true if San Antonio’s growth became stagnant or if it experiences a great migration, neither of which show any signs of happening. In fact San Antonio is experiencing tremendous growth as well-all the major Texas cities are-couple that with a higher population to begin with and no, Austin will not outpace San Antonio anytime in the near distant future.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:43 AM

5,765 posts, read 8,226,301 times
Quote:
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Travis county has a total area of 1,023 square miles (2,650 km2), of which 990 square miles (2,600 km2) is land and 33 square miles (85 km2) (3.2%) is water. Travis County is located in the southern part of central Texas, between San Antonio and Dallas–Fort Worth.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,256 square miles (3,250 km2), of which 1,240 sq mi (3,200 km2) is land and 16 sq mi (41 km2) (1.3%) is water.[4] Bexar County is in south-central Texas, about 190 miles (305 km) west of Houston and 140 mi (230 km) from both the US-Mexican border to the southwest and the Gulf of Mexico to the southeast.
Bexar county has more space then Travis county. Even if Travis county surpasses Bexar county it won't have the same feel. There's an extra 200 miles in Bexar county to stick people, whether its south, east or west (north is already pretty packed).

Old 11-14-2018, 12:10 AM

5,820 posts, read 6,755,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
So I know I'm probably going to sound like a hypocrite because I also have just moved here in May but I cant help but feel a bit concerned about this.

I-35's design pretty much from Round Rock to the Colorado river looks very outdated, although Round Rock section looks like improvements were made, it doesn't look like it has anywhere near the capacity necessary for traffic. Another issue is alot of I-35 traffic isn't Austin traffic but inter-regional traffic. From what it looks not alot can be done to I-35 without tearing alot of stuff down. Is it realistic / feasible to see I-35 with the same capacity as say a highway in Houston or DFW?

Another thing are some of the local streets. FM620 and Parmer (north of MoPac) are pretty rough. I sat about 45 minutes in traffic on FM620 just waiting on the FM 2222 light. On Parmer I'm not sure what can be done given its already 3 lanes each way.

Lastly, the train. I know a Green Line got approved but outside of that, are we likely to see any other routes and would these help traffic at all?
No, you are spot on. Austin infrastructure & pace of up-keep SUCK. There is not enough availability to even attempt to keep pace with traffic flow. And it's been this way for 30+ years, and will always be this way b/c it's citizens & elected local & state officials will NEVER be ok w/ fixing it.

It's possible to fix, but there will be huge delays, overpayment and people who get butt-hurt over the projects. But those are the same people who will complain about the traffic. A double deck on both I-35 & Mopac with each of the levels dedicated to one traffic direction would be a start. 10 lanes each way, would be a 250% increase in current capacity and yet barely keep up with current traffic requirements.

I've lived in the area for 30+ years for those who want to attempt to nay say it, and have lived in Dallas, Denver, Chicago & a brief stint in San Diego. They were all congested, but for a reason. They are HUGE metro areas. Austin...is not.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:30 AM

9,648 posts, read 8,705,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
No, you are spot on. Austin infrastructure & pace of up-keep SUCK. There is not enough availability to even attempt to keep pace with traffic flow. And it's been this way for 30+ years, and will always be this way b/c it's citizens & elected local & state officials will NEVER be ok w/ fixing it.

It's possible to fix, but there will be huge delays, overpayment and people who get butt-hurt over the projects. But those are the same people who will complain about the traffic. A double deck on both I-35 & Mopac with each of the levels dedicated to one traffic direction would be a start. 10 lanes each way, would be a 250% increase in current capacity and yet barely keep up with current traffic requirements.

I've lived in the area for 30+ years for those who want to attempt to nay say it, and have lived in Dallas, Denver, Chicago & a brief stint in San Diego. They were all congested, but for a reason. They are HUGE metro areas. Austin...is not.
I am so glad you are not the transportation manager for TxDOT. MoPac being double decked? No thank you, I prefer sitting in traffic to this. In all honesty, the MoPac Improvement Project worked just as intended and as long as they extend to the southern portion all will be okay.

The only long term solution for I-35 is to place it underground from Lady Bird Lake to around 290, just like the Big Dig in Boston. Put around 6 free lanes underground with 2 managed lanes underground as well. The surface street can be a boulevard with oak trees and fountains.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:21 AM

5,820 posts, read 6,755,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I am so glad you are not the transportation manager for TxDOT. MoPac being double decked? No thank you, I prefer sitting in traffic to this. In all honesty, the MoPac Improvement Project worked just as intended and as long as they extend to the southern portion all will be okay.

The only long term solution for I-35 is to place it underground from Lady Bird Lake to around 290, just like the Big Dig in Boston. Put around 6 free lanes underground with 2 managed lanes underground as well. The surface street can be a boulevard with oak trees and fountains.
And I am glad you are not as well, and if you enjoy sitting in traffic, well you've picked the right city. And it's absurd if you think 2 toll lanes have worked as intended, unless you mean as a cash grab for the State.

Ha, and good luck digging in Austin....might as well include free unicorns and cotton candy wisps for the ride at no charge at all also since we're throwing out ideas.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:19 PM

3,014 posts, read 6,311,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

I think the Mopac double deck might be unavoidable if TxDOT wills it. I was talking with someone working on the initial plans, and to paraphrase, he said that they were basically going to have public meetings until the protest died down. That was a few years ago, granted, so I hope things have changed since, but I had to pick my jaw up when I heard that.

Submerging I-35 is a very worthy project, but I imagine voters would vote it down when they saw a price tag of ~$10 billion, completely oblivious to the fact that it would be a practically unnoticeable sales tax increase.

Last edited by Westerner92; 11-16-2018 at 09:34 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 11:23 PM

7,934 posts, read 13,091,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Submerging I-35 is a very worthy project, but I imagine voters would vote it down when they saw a price tag of ~$10 billion, completely oblivious to the fact that it would be a practically unnoticeable sales tax increase.

Hard to believe it would be voted down when it's obvious that running IH35 underground will solve all its problems.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:47 AM

48 posts, read 44,255 times
just moved here without a car. Really like certain areas of austin but yes not worth major major drain in quality of life due to transportatoin, bus ride is an hour.; makes me sad that peopel are resigned to it. Please get to your councilmen and beto and ask for metrorail now,

it can be done, this town is bigger than dc, and we had amazing metro, people here are way t better an and too smart to accept this at face value, its unacceptable,except by bike of course if you live close to job, as a woman i fell unsafe after 8pm on bus, at 9pm on friday night in north lamar i was surrounded by sea of homeless poeple and i was ony woman on bus, i need to get a car yes but at this point i am not sure i can deem this a healthy lifestyle, sitting ain car or bus for hour each way not healthy. I miss running for a train,maybe austin healthy peop[le who care about enviornment willl create a sexy marketing campaign as did arlington virgina for people to start a car free diet and take the rail, if they can build skycrapers downtown in2months, with all these engineers and young people , you can build some rails and make it happen,

and yes i will get the op told you so, but for those people who have courage to try something new in a new plae, well its those people that got us to america ithe first place,,,,,love always
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or