U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 AM

5,777 posts, read 8,231,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
just moved here without a car. Really like certain areas of austin but yes not worth major major drain in quality of life due to transportatoin, bus ride is an hour.; makes me sad that peopel are resigned to it. Please get to your councilmen and beto and ask for metrorail now,

it can be done, this town is bigger than dc, and we had amazing metro, people here are way t better an and too smart to accept this at face value, its unacceptable,except by bike of course if you live close to job, as a woman i fell unsafe after 8pm on bus, at 9pm on friday night in north lamar i was surrounded by sea of homeless poeple and i was ony woman on bus, i need to get a car yes but at this point i am not sure i can deem this a healthy lifestyle, sitting ain car or bus for hour each way not healthy. I miss running for a train,maybe austin healthy peop[le who care about enviornment willl create a sexy marketing campaign as did arlington virgina for people to start a car free diet and take the rail, if they can build skycrapers downtown in2months, with all these engineers and young people , you can build some rails and make it happen,

and yes i will get the op told you so, but for those people who have courage to try something new in a new plae, well its those people that got us to america ithe first place,,,,,love always
Beto didn't win the race. He has nothing to do with Austin. He represents El Paso, a good 10 hour drive from here. This is not the northeast, where people embrace public transportation. It's going to take lots and lots and lots and lots of work to get people on board with options other than car. Public transportation works for some people, it doesn't for others. Also, you said it yourself, we're larger then DC. It's a large geographical area, it costs money to do these things. The longer you live in Texas the longer you'll realize Texas is not a good steward of their money. We put it in different places that don't help the community as a whole. But that's another thread for another day.

As far as you not feeling safe after a certain time in a certain city, you need to do a bit more research. If you're in the area I think you are, you are in one of the more unsafe areas of the city. I wouldn't feel safe in that part of town by myself either, and I've been here three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 10:28 AM

20,085 posts, read 36,883,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
just moved here without a car. Really like certain areas of austin but yes not worth major major drain in quality of life due to transportatoin, bus ride is an hour.; makes me sad that peopel are resigned to it. Please get to your councilmen and beto and ask for metrorail now,

it can be done, this town is bigger than dc, and we had amazing metro, people here are way t better an and too smart to accept this at face value, its unacceptable,except by bike of course if you live close to job, as a woman i fell unsafe after 8pm on bus, at 9pm on friday night in north lamar i was surrounded by sea of homeless poeple and i was ony woman on bus, i need to get a car yes but at this point i am not sure i can deem this a healthy lifestyle, sitting ain car or bus for hour each way not healthy. I miss running for a train,maybe austin healthy peop[le who care about enviornment willl create a sexy marketing campaign as did arlington virgina for people to start a car free diet and take the rail, if they can build skycrapers downtown in2months, with all these engineers and young people , you can build some rails and make it happen,

and yes i will get the op told you so, but for those people who have courage to try something new in a new plae, well its those people that got us to america ithe first place,,,,,love always

So you're one of those who moves from New Jersey or some such to a state that is known for its love of cars, and promptly decide that we should change everything to suit you and where you came from and remake the city (and state, for all I know) to be in your image. Got it.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 PM

1,050 posts, read 846,737 times
It's pretty simple. If you keep building suburbs farther and farther away from the center, the traffic will suck. Period. No amount of additional lanes on I35 or Mopac will improve traffic. Look up induced demand. It's a proven theory that has shown over and over again that adding more lanes will only encourage more people to take the freeway during peak hours, and the additional demand will once again create terrible traffic.

Double-decking I35 and Mopac is also a terrible idea for several reasons. It's confusing, causes accidents, looks like a complete eyesore, and is needlessly expensive.

The only way the traffic situation is solved is by developing a comprehensive transit system that involves bus rapid transit, rail, and local bus routes. The object should be to get people that are willing to use public transit to get on the bus or rail rather than drive another car. Getting 20 people from a car onto a bus gets 20 cars off the road while only adding one bus. Now extrapolate that over several thousand commuters and you'll see the improvement in traffic.

Burying I35 won't improve traffic, but it will improve Austin by connecting a poorer East Austin with Downtown. It will also improve the lives of those who wish to live without a car.

Knowing Austin, people will keep voting down plans to improve public transit and continue moving to the suburbs and then complain that traffic is awful.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM

10,310 posts, read 9,597,465 times
Public transit isn't the best, but it'll do.

Round Rock/Cap Metro has added two additional buses to the 980, so now the transit center is only 12 minutes away from my house. Commute time is the same, but I get to sleep/work during traffic and only spend 12 minutes driving each way. Little wear and tear on the car, no money spent on parking. RR gets a big thumbs up.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM

9,665 posts, read 8,713,369 times
The solution to the traffic woes is to encourage development along SH45 and SH130. Those are tollways that are for most practical purposes not at traffic limits.

183S is making really good progress. The MoPac intersections are almost complete. 45SW is almost complete. They have started the improvements along 2222. The 51st St. traffic circle is complete and works marvelously.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:59 PM

47 posts, read 14,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

Round Rock/Cap Metro has added two additional buses to the 980, so now the transit center is only 12 minutes away from my house. Commute time is the same, but I get to sleep/work during traffic and only spend 12 minutes driving each way. Little wear and tear on the car, no money spent on parking. RR gets a big thumbs up.
^^^ the rail and bus service to the northern suburbs gives multiple options for low income and homeless people to get to and from employment. Big thumbs up for equality, and we need to see more of it.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 AM

20,085 posts, read 36,883,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The solution to the traffic woes is to encourage development along SH45 and SH130. Those are tollways that are for most practical purposes not at traffic limits.

183S is making really good progress. The MoPac intersections are almost complete. 45SW is almost complete. They have started the improvements along 2222. The 51st St. traffic circle is complete and works marvelously.

When they built 130, I recognized that paving over that particular bit of paradise was inevitable. And, of course, it started, with lots and lots of homes being added (which, of course, adds to the traffic - somehow people seem to miss that part of the equation in their lust for concrete). We can pave over the entire area with roads and it won't improve traffic, folks, because more people will come because that's what adding roads does, as mentioned above.

Until it makes Austin so unattractive that people start leaving in hordes for the next place to pave over. We never learn.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 AM

1,240 posts, read 534,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
When they built 130, I recognized that paving over that particular bit of paradise was inevitable. And, of course, it started, with lots and lots of homes being added (which, of course, adds to the traffic - somehow people seem to miss that part of the equation in their lust for concrete). We can pave over the entire area with roads and it won't improve traffic, folks, because more people will come because that's what adding roads does, as mentioned above.

Until it makes Austin so unattractive that people start leaving in hordes for the next place to pave over. We never learn.
I don't really believe paving roads is meant to improve traffic but to prevent nightmarish bottlenecks. For example where I came from (Atlanta), there's not many roads for a city its size but traffic is 20x worse than Austin currently is. I also believe alot of it is due to the design of the road infrastructure but at nearly 7 million people and no major road construction projects since the 90's (with the exception of adding HOV and Toll lanes) it's kind of difficult to buy that refusing to build or upgrade roads will prevent development given Atlanta's population has literally doubled since then.

In either case, transit is definitely the #1 solution... ....if people could be more willing to use it and I guess that brings me to another question.

If any of you had the opportunity to use Cap Metro Rail to commute downtown, would you use it, or would you drive? Just curious here. I used it once and it took longer to ride the train but was still fun and less frustrating.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:06 PM

5,777 posts, read 8,231,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

If any of you had the opportunity to use Cap Metro Rail to commute downtown, would you use it, or would you drive? Just curious here. I used it once and it took longer to ride the train but was still fun and less frustrating.
My job wouldn't allow that type of set-up. I've mentioned that several times. I work at several different places and need to be able to leave my office to go around the city. I also work later then the latest train takes off some nights.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:18 PM

10,310 posts, read 9,597,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissor_chavez View Post
^^^ the rail and bus service to the northern suburbs gives multiple options for low income and homeless people to get to and from employment. Big thumbs up for equality, and we need to see more of it.
As long as people pay fares anyone can ride. there are no free or reduced fare passes based on income level. Iíve yet to see a homeless person on an express bus or on the train for that matter. Just the local city busses. Homeless donít take either because seriously where are you gonna go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or