Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 12:30 PM

11,690 posts, read 7,862,815 times

Advertisements

So I know I'm probably going to sound like a hypocrite because I also have just moved here in May but I cant help but feel a bit concerned about this.

I-35's design pretty much from Round Rock to the Colorado river looks very outdated, although Round Rock section looks like improvements were made, it doesn't look like it has anywhere near the capacity necessary for traffic. Another issue is alot of I-35 traffic isn't Austin traffic but inter-regional traffic. From what it looks not alot can be done to I-35 without tearing alot of stuff down. Is it realistic / feasible to see I-35 with the same capacity as say a highway in Houston or DFW?

Another thing are some of the local streets. FM620 and Parmer (north of MoPac) are pretty rough. I sat about 45 minutes in traffic on FM620 just waiting on the FM 2222 light. On Parmer I'm not sure what can be done given its already 3 lanes each way.

Lastly, the train. I know a Green Line got approved but outside of that, are we likely to see any other routes and would these help traffic at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 03:25 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,613,112 times
There is work underway to fix the 183/35 intersection just north of downtown. If you drive south of the river there is construction going on near William Cannon and 35 to add an extra lane, not sure if it will be tolled or not (but I'm sure a google search could answer that). 183 east of 35 is getting a total overhaul with toll lanes all the way to 130. 130 is getting additional lanes in that area too. On the westside of town there is construction on Mopac to add more lanes and connect hwy 45 from mopac to 35. Isn't there something going on up around 620? Like that's one of the worst parts of the city. I've only been out that way to go to Lake Travis and to get my iphone fixed one time. Otherwie that's too far out for me.

There are plans for other projects but it's part of state budget and there's a lot of times when stuff is planned but there's no funding in place. Unless the governor decides to use his precious rainy day funds (which I am not advocating for) there's little to no money for construction, or if there is, it was allocated in 1990 or projects that were needed in 1980 and are just now wrapping up.

Highway construction is a never ending process and with the addition of something like 128 people a day in Austin it's only going to get worse. Did you research this before moving here?

Old 11-11-2018, 03:25 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,068,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
So I know I'm probably going to sound like a hypocrite because I also have just moved here in May but I cant help but feel a bit concerned about this.

I-35's design pretty much from Round Rock to the Colorado river looks very outdated, although Round Rock section looks like improvements were made, it doesn't look like it has anywhere near the capacity necessary for traffic. Another issue is alot of I-35 traffic isn't Austin traffic but inter-regional traffic. From what it looks not alot can be done to I-35 without tearing alot of stuff down. Is it realistic / feasible to see I-35 with the same capacity as say a highway in Houston or DFW?

Another thing are some of the local streets. FM620 and Parmer (north of MoPac) are pretty rough. I sat about 45 minutes in traffic on FM620 just waiting on the FM 2222 light. On Parmer I'm not sure what can be done given its already 3 lanes each way.

Lastly, the train. I know a Green Line got approved but outside of that, are we likely to see any other routes and would these help traffic at all?
LOL to all of the above

and there is no green line approved.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:54 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,046,948 times
Something like 85% of all traffic on 35 is local. And there is developed (ie expensive private property) on all sides of 35, especially in central Austin, it really can't be widened. A single tolled HOV could be added and there are continual projects to upgrade and improve but it is hard to stay ahead of population growth. (the 183/35 interchange is under construction right now, as is 35/Oltorf.)

Local streets are a huge issue! Light timing can help sometimes but the underlying issue is simply too much volume of traffic at certain times of day. Being able to commute outside of peak times can help, as does developing a set of alternative routes.

Living near work is probably the best way to reduce the commuting burden.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Reread your relocation thread again. You picked a crap location to commute. That’s on you, OP.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:07 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,815,851 times
There is a 620 to 2222 Bypass road that is planned. They were supposed to start on the 2222 section of it this fall, but so far nothing...

Old 11-12-2018, 02:00 AM

11,690 posts, read 7,862,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedLines View Post
And when you were moving here, everyone tried to address your initial concern. Friday will have been your best drive. It will get progressively worse every day. The ship has sailed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Reread your relocation thread again. You picked a crap location to commute. That’s on you, OP.
Soooo I was re-reading my relocation thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...n-new-job.html -- not seeing where anyone warned me about traffic / commuting issues... just was was advised about gentrying neighborhoods and apartments.

Either way though just to clear stuff up. I live pretty close to work. It turned out the office I work at is not in Downtown Austin but in North Austin on Parmer so my drive is about 8 miles one way. Occasionally I have had to go downtown though and Google Maps always tells me to take F.M. 2222 but I've found it faster to just take US 183.

As for traffic issues and researching it? I kind of knew Austin had traffic problems (didn't know to what decree)... I wouldn't say its awful, I came from Atlanta - THAT place has awful traffic. My big concern isn't the current traffic but what will happen as Austin grows given how fast its growing and how seemingly little can be done about the certain roads.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:58 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,815,851 times
Interesting presentation here on the improvements to 620:

http://steinerranchna.org/wp-content...n-09.11.18.pdf

Some highlights:
* Jersey barriers at select curves
* CFI at Anderson Mill and 620 diagram
* Bypass Road update

Old 11-12-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Soooo I was re-reading my relocation thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...n-new-job.html -- not seeing where anyone warned me about traffic / commuting issues... just was was advised about gentrying neighborhoods and apartments.

We didn't advise you because you said you were okay with a long commute. But now you're saying otherwise.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:26 AM

949 posts, read 566,600 times
The only solution is less people. Stop thinking that money will solve this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin