U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2018, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Holly Neighborhood, AUSTINtx
3,481 posts, read 5,153,568 times
Reputation: 2066

Advertisements

A lot of drivers don't carry cash or only have big bills. I wonder what would happen if I tried to pay them with food or clothing?

I think in Texas it is very hard to involuntarily commit someone to a mental institution. It could be looked at as a right "not to" coming from the other angle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2018, 01:00 PM
 
372 posts, read 291,507 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Theres entire refugee camps under every bridge from Pflugerville-all the way north.... starting to look like LA
South Austin on the sides of Ben White / 290 there are homeless camps that have to be cleared out by the city weekly, if not daily. I don't know what the answer is all I know it is much more prevalent now than when I moved here in 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 07:18 AM
 
479 posts, read 208,528 times
Reputation: 802
on its way to become the next SF or downtown LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2018, 08:41 PM
 
161 posts, read 76,048 times
Reputation: 208
A man and woman were tag teaming the SW corner of 183 & Ohlen the other day. The woman jumped out and started working on the first car in the left turn lane. Light turned green and she didn't finish until the cycle was almost over. I think two, maybe three of the 7-8 waiting cars got through. Furious honking by several of us ensued.

I ended up first in the line at the next red. I stared down the guy as he approached me. He walked by me and hit up the lady behind me. I watched in the mirror as she waved him off, turned on her wipers, honked and did everything she could to get him to back off and he still started wiping down her windshield. I was very, very close to jumping out of my car and causing a scene. Seriously considered calling 911 but pretty much figured that would be futile. Just bit my lip until the light changed, and still regret that I didn't get out to help that lady.

This garbage needs to stop or somebody's going to get hurt. Traffic is stressful enough in this town without having to put up with this nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 08:59 AM
 
1,710 posts, read 2,082,146 times
Reputation: 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
A lot of drivers don't carry cash or only have big bills. I wonder what would happen if I tried to pay them with food or clothing?

I think in Texas it is very hard to involuntarily commit someone to a mental institution. It could be looked at as a right "not to" coming from the other angle.

I give them V8 juice in hot weather, my wife has given then clean new T-shirts. Very positive reactions for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
176 posts, read 283,216 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
I watched in the mirror as she waved him off, turned on her wipers, honked and did everything she could to get him to back off and he still started wiping down her windshield. I was very, very close to jumping out of my car and causing a scene. Seriously considered calling 911 but pretty much figured that would be futile. Just bit my lip until the light changed, and still regret that I didn't get out to help that lady.

This garbage needs to stop or somebody's going to get hurt. Traffic is stressful enough in this town without having to put up with this nonsense.

This happened to me one time at the intersection of Riverside and PV. The guy approached my car and I was waving furiously and shaking my head to indicate that NO, I did NOT want him to clean my windshield. He went ahead and did it anyway, and when he stopped and put his hand out for payment I just shrugged my shoulders and yelled through the window 'No cash... I tried to tell you no.' He got super pissed and stormed off. I suppose I'm lucky he didn't try to damage my car or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 10:52 AM
 
Location: San Diego
1,112 posts, read 368,457 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB817 View Post
Tell me more about "metal heat care".
Its actually called "Metal Health Care" - its a a place for ex metal heads to go when they can no longer "thrash it out"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 12:06 PM
 
161 posts, read 76,048 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by noellestar View Post
This happened to me one time at the intersection of Riverside and PV. The guy approached my car and I was waving furiously and shaking my head to indicate that NO, I did NOT want him to clean my windshield. He went ahead and did it anyway, and when he stopped and put his hand out for payment I just shrugged my shoulders and yelled through the window 'No cash... I tried to tell you no.' He got super pissed and stormed off. I suppose I'm lucky he didn't try to damage my car or anything like that.
Right, that's the thing. Who knows what kind of metal state these people are in? Will they kick in your fender or throw a rock at the window? Will they try to physically enter your car and assault you? You don't know, so you capitulate and hand them a dollar or two essentially to buy them off.

This should not be allowed, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2018, 09:12 AM
 
479 posts, read 208,528 times
Reputation: 802
keep feeding the birds and they will stay - clothes, money food -why the heck leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2018, 09:33 AM
 
1,672 posts, read 655,031 times
Reputation: 3304
I’m not going to quote the post to save the folks that have their ignore list set up.

If you had any kind of education or experience at all, you’d know that surrounding cities dump their homeless in Austin. It’s not a matter of “feeding”, it’s scumbags driving or bussing them in and leaving Austin to deal with it.

But you don’t live here, nor do you have a remote clue about anything to do with Austin - so you wouldn’t know.

Go back to your little echo chamber and continue to jerk yourself off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top