U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 11:50 PM

1,749 posts, read 3,102,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I would have loved to stay in Austin but the prop taxes were no longer "doable". $1K here, $12K in Austin. That really makes a difference on a retirement income.
Yes. We’ve been here for over fifty years, so having to make that decision hasn’t been an easy one. My hat is off to younger generations who may be able to. I hope they always can. We could try, but it no longer makes sense for us.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:20 AM

4,981 posts, read 3,100,689 times
This thread makes me laugh.

I’ve spent close to eleven years here reading some of you maligning transplants to Austin, lamenting how they’ve “ruined” Austin. And now, for the past few years, I’ve read reports from those of you who moved away, or are thinking of moving away, never approaching the subject of how your move amounts to you creating the same problem for other people somewhere else.

People are funny. And also a little oblivious.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:01 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,857,148 times
^^^ No. San Angelo does not have a tech boom. There's no battle for housing. Home and land values and property taxes have not gone up 1000% over the last twenty years. Strictly economics for those with fixed incomes...

Old 12-17-2018, 08:02 AM

616 posts, read 492,820 times
I have lived all of over . Austin is no different than any other place. Some will love it others will hate it for different reasons. Have prices and taxes changed yes. Traffic yes. There are alot of choices for medical care, shopping, weather is not bad. Its what your use to or comfortable with that makes Austin a wonderful place to live.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:24 AM

9,604 posts, read 8,663,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
santa fe's median is a bit less than austin and the cost of living is less.

property tax is about .75%
income tax is about 5%
Santa Fe does have a winter but it's much better than the winter in Denver or CO Springs or KC or any East Coast city plus lots of sunshine year round.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:35 AM

9,604 posts, read 8,663,878 times
Natchitoches, LA: 15,000 people, home of Northwestern Louisiana State University, historic downtown is the oldest in the Louisiana purchase (older than New Orleans), Christmas festival attracts 100,000 people, inventor of the "meat pie", home to really great restaurants and plenty of land, very affordable. Mild (but humid) climate. Rated #1 small town in the South.

It ticks everything off your list.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:48 AM

305 posts, read 67,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Austin IS low cost compared to most big cities and has most of the criteria you want, steve. We moved from NYC to Austin. Austin is much less expensive than NY. Austin has less traffic, nicer people, college classes for seniors for free at UT, an airport, great hospitals, outdoor activities, music, and no state income tax.

I guess it depends on where one comes from when considering costs and benefits.

The only thing I don't like about Austin is the voters recently elected a city council that is 70% uber-liberal and 100% liberal. Depending on their policies, we may be forced to rethink our move here.
More people do not make anything better. The problem is that your an invader, we were fine without you being here and would survive otherwise. The Government surely make out like bandits, but the rest of us suffer horribly from all of the growth.
That's the issue.

Last edited by Snowpacked; 12-17-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-17-2018, 10:06 AM

2,482 posts, read 1,499,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I would have loved to stay in Austin but the prop taxes were no longer "doable". $1K here, $12K in Austin. That really makes a difference on a retirement income.
Doesn't the state income tax eat up some of that difference? We'll be going back to my home state of SC, and the state income tax eats a big part of the property tax savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Sure sounds like someone is butthurt.
That person is in a constant state of butthurt, while constantly going on about HIS last place.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 AM

11,255 posts, read 6,408,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
More people do not make anything better. The problem is that your an invader, we were fine without you being here and would survive otherwise. The Government surely make out like bandits, but the rest of us suffer horribly from all of the growth.
That's the issue.
I'm a native Texan. I was born, raised, educated, and working in this state half my life. Who in the world would consider me an "invader" because I returned home after living the other half of my life outside of Texas? Texas is my home and my family's home for 5 generations, at least.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:33 AM

1,682 posts, read 660,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm a native Texan. I was born, raised, educated, and working in this state half my life. Who in the world would consider me an "invader" because I returned home after living the other half of my life outside of Texas?
Self-insulating morons that have no scope and have never lived or been exposed to areas that were cratering due to a lack of growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or