Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:18 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Kerrville.
Back a few years ago, My SO and I scouted out Kerrville and took a few drives out there. It just didn't "hit" me. I think it should, on paper, but there was something "too sleepy" about it. Thus the challenge of a small town vibe once we're use to the big(er) city offerings.

Last night was a typical Austin TX BS Hassle that triggers the mixed feelings about Austin. We wanted to go to dinner at Juliet then head over to Saxon Pub to dance and hear Damn Torpedos (Tom Petty tribute band).

Forgot about the 5:30 closing of Barton Springs Rd for Trail of Lights, got tangled up at Bee Cave/Mopac exit, no way to get northbound on Mopc to escape, had to U-Turn under Mopac, then head to Ben White to Lamar then North. Traffic was bad as usual. Never made it to Juliet, so went to a Italian joint near Saxon instead and got seats at the bar/counter (reservations were booked - no walk-in tables). That was pretty nice actually.

Then turns out Saxon was sold out (first time that's happened for this band) so couldn't do that either.

Walked across to One 2 One, and found out Patrice Pike was playing later, but we didn't want to wait 1.5 hours, so we called it a night and went home at 8PM as we assumed all movies and other options would be packed or sold out as well. So much for a spontaneous date night in Austin.

On the one hand, there is a lot do do in Austin, on the other, you have to work for it and remember to plan meticulously, it's hard to be spontaneous because of overcrowding, bad traffic, impossible to remember what roads are closed where or when.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 12-15-2018 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-15-2018, 09:11 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,353 times
It’s funny to read the people that moved away all these years ago still checking in on Austin forums. I mean it must have a special place in your heart to have to come back years later to brag about your great new city lol.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:19 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I love how austin is growing so look forward to the things to come.

But I think santa fe would be great for you. We have friends that just moved to kansas city and it is very nice as well.

A lot of it would depend on what type of activities you like to do

Beachwise, go towards the gulf coast east of the mississippi. Buy the land and build a cheap home. If it gets destroyed you will still have the land.
FYI, Santa Fe housing is MORE expensive than Austin. Also you will get some real winter there as well.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
My brother and his wife say Ft Collins reminds then of a 90s Austin. One of his kids goes to the college there. Staying in Texas I like the Tyler area or Kerrville

Colorado is more expensive than Texas in general. But I do like Fort Collins. Its only 50 miles north of Denver and not quite as expensive.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Lake Buchanan sounds good as right now, the area nearby really is undeveloped. however, I think over the next 20 years, that will change not only with Austin growing north (See new $1 billion dollar Apple campus to be in far north Austin/Williamson county and new Chanel Plant). but Killeen/Copperas Cove moving southward to be close to Austin amenities and the lake.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Steve, I've got a nice little house in Highlands, NC for sale. Special deal for the CD real estate guru!!

Old 12-15-2018, 10:06 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
For my 50+ peers and comrades at or nearing retirement, what is your escape destination when you finally hit the Eject button on the ever evolving Clown Rodeo Austin has become?

My criteria,
College town that ain't cool enough to be pricey just yet.
Southwest Airline airport less than 1 hour drive away
State Capital a plus, just for the variety of demographics
Traffic tolerable
Lots of outdoor "active lifestyle" options.
Not too far north.
Lower risk for Hurricane, Tornadoes, Forest Fires (statistically western Montana, but that's too far North.)
Would rather stay in the US.
No scooters.
It sounds like you’re looking for a smaller version of Austin. Fayetteville, Arkansas, is the “next Austin” I’m convinced. If I had a family of my own, I’d consider it. It won’t be “discovered” by coastal types for at least a decade or two.

Retirement sounds nice. I’m legitimately just hoping my 401(k) and civilization as we know it are around by the time I reach that age.

Last edited by Westerner92; 12-15-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 10:08 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,198 times
austin-steve

You might like Athens, GA

Old 12-15-2018, 01:35 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
FYI, Santa Fe housing is MORE expensive than Austin. Also you will get some real winter there as well.
santa fe's median is a bit less than austin and the cost of living is less.

property tax is about .75%
income tax is about 5%

Old 12-15-2018, 01:50 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
Austin will always by home in my heart. My kids and friends are still there etc so I do check to see what's going on from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin