U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 04:44 PM

6,027 posts, read 15,048,237 times

Advertisements

For my 50+ peers and comrades at or nearing retirement, what is your escape destination when you finally hit the Eject button on the ever evolving Clown Rodeo Austin has become?

My criteria,
College town that ain't cool enough to be pricey just yet.
Southwest Airline airport less than 1 hour drive away
State Capital a plus, just for the variety of demographics
Traffic tolerable
Lots of outdoor "active lifestyle" options.
Not too far north.
Lower risk for Hurricane, Tornadoes, Forest Fires (statistically western Montana, but that's too far North.)
Would rather stay in the US.
No scooters.

Last edited by austin-steve; 12-13-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 05:25 PM

1,675 posts, read 660,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
For my 50+ peers and comrades at or nearing retirement, what is your escape destination when you finally hit the Eject button on the ever evolving Clown Rodeo Austin has become?

My criteria,
Traffic tolerable
Not too far north.
Lower risk for Hurricane, Tornadoes, Forest Fires (statistically western Montana, but that's too far North.)
No scooters.
Chico, CA?

And, man, give up the scooter hate. That’s way too much emphasis placed on something that realistically impacts you about 10% as much as the annual rainfall in the area.

I’m almost to that age line, but my plan is to stay and slide west. If I don’t have to drive during rush hour times, I can still take advantage of much of what Austin offers and what I love about the area.
I’ve traveled almost the entire lower 48 pretty extensively, and you’re not going to find anywhere that’s going to tick all those boxes.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:19 PM

9,599 posts, read 8,663,878 times
My retirements plans may include:

* a beach area that is affordable, I've thought about Port A or even SPI where I am on the "bay side" so I can have my boat slip right at my house and am a few blocks from the beach.
* a smaller town out west, perhaps Santa Fe or Albuquerque, where the weather is mostly sunny and warm most of the year
* a smaller town in Louisiana, getting back to my roots. I was thinking of Natchitoches, it's in the central north part of the state and literally in the middle of the Kisatchie National Forest and I have fond memories going to high school there. It's far enough north that it doesn't get a lot of hurricanes and it's in the hills so it doesn't flood. It's also not overrun by tourists.
* getting a place out in the Hill Country far from Austin like on Lake Buchanan or something.
* getting a place east of town in the "Lost Pines" area somewhere near Bastrop.
* a big walkable city where I could live downtown and take public transit. The problem with this is cost so this would only be a choice if I somehow win the lottery or something. DC would be the furthest north or anyplace in south or west.

Out of these choices I vacillate from day to day. I know one thing. I sure as heck aren't staying in Austin. The beach culture to me is probably something that would be the most relaxing and have the most things to do but I have come to admire sunny dry weather a lot so NM is looking good as well. It just seems desert living would be easy and you wouldn't have to worry about thunderstorms, ice storms, things like that. Louisiana would make the most financial sense as the property taxes are dirt cheap and they do have an income tax but my income won't be as high in retirement.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:24 PM

6,027 posts, read 15,048,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
My retirements plans may include:

* a beach area that is affordable, I've thought about Port A or even SPI where I am on the "bay side" so I can have my boat slip right at my house and am a few blocks from the beach.
* a smaller town out west, perhaps Santa Fe or Albuquerque, where the weather is mostly sunny and warm most of the year
* a smaller town in Louisiana, getting back to my roots. I was thinking of Natchitoches, it's in the central north part of the state and literally in the middle of the Kisatchie National Forest and I have fond memories going to high school there. It's far enough north that it doesn't get a lot of hurricanes and it's in the hills so it doesn't flood. It's also not overrun by tourists.
* getting a place out in the Hill Country far from Austin like on Lake Buchanan or something.
* getting a place east of town in the "Lost Pines" area somewhere near Bastrop.
* a big walkable city like SF where I could live downtown and take public transit. The problem with this is cost so this would only be a choice if I somehow win the lottery or something.

Out of these choices I vacillate from day to day. I know one thing. I sure as heck aren't staying in Austin. The beach culture to me is probably something that would be the most relaxing and have the most things to do but I have come to admire sunny dry weather a lot so NM is looking good as well. It just seems desert living would be easy and you wouldn't have to worry about thunderstorms, ice storms, things like that.
Do you think beaches are going to become more and more vulnerable to storms, and insurance unaffordable? I've rules out coast areas mainly because I just don't want the disruption of having to leave for a storm, or have my place wiped out.

That said, if I could find a cheap cabin or something "disposable" for all practical purposes, for like $60K, I'd pay cash and take the risk. Fill it with garage sale furniture. Have my "go bag" ready, the just abandon it and move on if the "big one" came and destroyed it.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:28 PM

12,226 posts, read 28,032,826 times
Quote:
Do you think beaches are going to become more and more vulnerable to storms, and insurance unaffordable? I've rules out coast areas mainly because I just don't want the disruption of having to leave for a storm, or have my place wiped out.

That said, if I could find a cheap cabin or something "disposable" for all practical purposes, for like $60K, I'd pay cash and take the risk. Fill it with garage sale furniture. Have my "go bag" ready, the just abandon it and move on if the "big one" came and destroyed it.
Yeah, beaches are out for me. As I get older, I don't even want to deal with the chance I would have to evacuate possibly multiple times. I guess a northern beach (PNW or NE) might work.

Lake Buchanan has been on and off the table a few times over the years, or even just Burnet.

Being married, I have a combined set of requirements that make it somewhat complicated .

Old 12-13-2018, 07:57 PM

6,085 posts, read 11,124,795 times
I love how austin is growing so look forward to the things to come.

But I think santa fe would be great for you. We have friends that just moved to kansas city and it is very nice as well.

A lot of it would depend on what type of activities you like to do

Beachwise, go towards the gulf coast east of the mississippi. Buy the land and build a cheap home. If it gets destroyed you will still have the land.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:02 PM

5,743 posts, read 8,199,290 times
The retirement forum may give you some good insight, too.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:19 PM

884 posts, read 884,471 times
We're moving to Lancaster, PA soon. Home prices are very affordable. I don't fit all the criteria for the post, but have burned out after being in high pressure sales for a F150. Over it. Lancaster has received lots of press recently, I won't call it the next Austin or Nashville but it has plenty going for it. If I recall Forbes ranked it as a top place to retire. (Grain of salt here)

Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 PM

9,599 posts, read 8,663,878 times
Quote:

I understand the risk and yes beaches are going to become more and more unaffordable. However, there are many affordable beaches right now.

If you do get a beach house, you need to take some precautions. It should be on stilts. You should install hurricane shutters. You should have a generator "built-in". I normally take a vacation somewhere cooler in late summer anyway and that's when the hurricane risk is high. I'm thinking I may take the whole month of August off every year. Maybe go RV'ing or visit Europe or whatever.

My aunt lives in Florida in a condo building that was built to be Cat 5 resistant. They waited out Hurricane Irma in their building in Southwest Florida. They didn't evacuate. They barbecued on their 3rd floor deck since power was out. They had their hurricane shutters down and didn't sustain any damage at all. They are in their 70's and said it was a piece of cake. So their testimony made me realize that it is possible.

For practicality Louisiana would be the choice, it's the cheapest retirement state by far and as climate changes Louisiana will never run out of water. I picked a spot that is 500 feet above sea level so I wouldn't have to worry too much about rising sea levels.

Out west there are always worries of droughts and the water supply at risk, especially with climate change scientists saying the west is getting drier. So I'm not sure if that risk is greater than the hurricane risk on the Gulf. Also, they say that the Highland Lakes will eventually run dry once climate change really sets in. So I don't think you should base your decision on climate change. There's a lot of fear mongering. Yes we know it's happening but we don't really know what will happen.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:20 PM

336 posts, read 173,518 times
Quote:

My criteria,
Traffic tolerable
Not too far north.
No scooters.

Sounds like Boulder or Fort Collins, but any mid sized Colorado town will match this criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or