U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 05:21 PM

18,760 posts, read 10,298,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Whoa, cBach keeps trumpeting the all black Atlanta experience. It simply isn't true, excluding those areas I mentioned earlier. cBach, have you ever lived or visited Atlanta for a long amount of time? Otherwise you are passing on bad, second hand, information.

Austin has a very low AA population (~8%) and that population isn't very diversified within the city. Also, the OP expressed a desire for less than 92 degrees (weirdly specific). You aren't getting that in Dallas or Austin. Although, using pure scientific data, Dallas is hotter, on average, in July and August than Austin. You will however get less than 92 in Atlanta.

Dallas: https://www.google.com/search?source...63.BMlIeXnx3jU

Austin: https://www.google.com/search?ei=Tmg...13.vyUZT7MpT7g

Atlanta: https://www.google.com/search?ei=Hmg...71.R5I9nNI-Yf0

What's confusing me is why a guy from Dallas feels the need to be taking sides either way? And so strongly.
I smell a hidden agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 05:30 PM

2,566 posts, read 1,519,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I smell a hidden agenda.
If you're trying to make a statement, man up and make it.

Austin just isn't a good choice. Based on the OP's wishes. I'll leave this thread before I get a C-D time out.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:37 PM

18,760 posts, read 10,298,839 times
Quote:
If you're trying to make a statement, man up and make it.

Austin just isn't a good choice. Based on the OP's wishes. I'll leave this thread before I get a C-D time out.
My statement was that Dallas is better than either Austin or Atlanta for most of the points the OP desired.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 1,503 times
As other have mentioned, Austin is hot with summertime temps of mid to upper 90s. Days above 100 degrees are common. High temps (days above 92 degrees) stretch from June to early October. The remainder of the year has great weather.

Austin is the best major Texas City for outdoor activities. Many parks and greenbelts. Lake Travis and the Colorado River for water activities. Festivals throughout the year.

Good schools abound. Diversity not so much. I'm assuming you mean demographics reflective of racial percentages for the country. Austin isn't all white, but the black population is low. Not as much black in migration from other places has left Austin with a historic, but shrinking black class. Other minorities groups are expanding fast. What remains has gathered in the eastern/northeastern sections of the city and suburbs. Your best bet is Pflugerville or central/eastern Round Rock. Here you will find AA population of 10-15 percent.

Your budget will get you a decent home near hospitals no problem, though the backyard may be lacking. Texas is a big state but developers love to cram as much house onto a lot as they can. The end result is not much of a backyard unless, you buy in older more established neighborhoods.

Overall, Austin doesn't appear like it would be a good fit. If weather and outdoor activities are really important to you, no Texas city will. You should look at Nashville. Has a lot of the hip factors of Austin, but with tolerable weather.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:20 PM

9,650 posts, read 8,705,883 times
Quote:
Whoa, cBach keeps trumpeting the all black Atlanta experience. It simply isn't true, excluding those areas I mentioned earlier. cBach, have you ever lived or visited Atlanta for a long amount of time? Otherwise you are passing on bad, second hand, information.

Austin has a very low AA population (~8%) and that population isn't very diversified within the city. Also, the OP expressed a desire for less than 92 degrees (weirdly specific). You aren't getting that in Dallas or Austin. Although, using pure scientific data, Dallas is hotter, on average, in July and August than Austin. You will however get less than 92 in Atlanta.

Dallas: https://www.google.com/search?source...63.BMlIeXnx3jU

Austin: https://www.google.com/search?ei=Tmg...13.vyUZT7MpT7g

Atlanta: https://www.google.com/search?ei=Hmg...71.R5I9nNI-Yf0

What's confusing me is why a guy from Dallas feels the need to be taking sides either way? And so strongly.
Yes I have been to Atlanta a lot. When I say a lot, I mean that I used to go there for weeks at a time, sometimes for a month for a client that was based in Atlanta. I've been to the best restaurants, been to Buckhead, been to a Braves game, been to Buckhead, taken MARTA. For all practical purposes I lived there because I had to return every month for at least a week. I actually had an apartment and would take MARTA to get to work because I was on the line and the place was in Dunwoody that I would commute to.
It's been around 1 year since I've been. In fact there is a thread where I was talking about Atlanta, I'll have to find it.

I stand by what I said. I'm not just making stuff up, there are major magazine publications that back up what I said. What I'm saying is not fake but real. There has been a major migration of blacks to Atlanta. Blacks do extremely well in Atlanta and they LOVE it there.

These are the facts.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 961 times
coach,
Thanks so much for your advice, it's really hard raising the kids in an environment where they have to travel outside of their community to see other people of color. Also paying this much to live in the freezing weather doesn't make it any easier.
I have looked into Atlanta but the traffic and finding a way to get around that traffic has been difficult. I visited once for a weekend but it was more of a task oriented visit so I did not get to really explore. Also the traffic was horrendous! But I did love the diversity.
When i looked into it, I liked Gwinnett county and fayetteville.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:40 PM

2,566 posts, read 1,519,043 times
Austin has pretty crappy traffic, but in my opinion, no where near as bad as Atlanta. Speaking of that, Fayetteville would be a tough commute, as would Gwinnett.

Either place has good schools.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:41 PM

5,766 posts, read 8,226,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterweatherplease View Post
coach,
Thanks so much for your advice, it's really hard raising the kids in an environment where they have to travel outside of their community to see other people of color. Also paying this much to live in the freezing weather doesn't make it any easier.
I have looked into Atlanta but the traffic and finding a way to get around that traffic has been difficult. I visited once for a weekend but it was more of a task oriented visit so I did not get to really explore. Also the traffic was horrendous! But I did love the diversity.
You need to come and see Austin. I spent a few days in Atlanta for a family get together last year andtraffic did suck. We went from north east Atlanta to the airport. It took about an hour and a half (it was rush hour on a Friday...but). We pulled up to the cell phone parking lot just asthe person we were picking up landed from her flight from Denver. She left at about the same time we left the house.

But, Austin traffic can be equally as sucky.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:21 AM

5,143 posts, read 6,363,403 times
Quote:
coach,
Have you been to Austin? 'Cause it's not exactly known for it's lack of traffic.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:44 AM

6,100 posts, read 11,147,425 times
Quote:
coach,
Austin would be exactly like this anywhere west of I35. In our prior elementary school there was one black girl and she was adopted into a white family. In our current elementary school (private) there is one black boy, and he is mixed race with white.

In our church (nw austin) at christmas mass I didnt see any black families. Though I also didnt see any asians except one of the altar servers.

It so happens out of our closest 4 couple friends, two couples are black, but that is very rare.

There are very few middle class blacks in the central core, the blacks I see on a regular basis are working fast food or low wage service jobs. Not necessarily the role modeling you want your kids to be exposed to.

It might be different in areas like pflugerville and cedar park.

We are asian and dont focus on being around asians at all. We just moved from a predominately asian area to a much more white area and it is fine. I personally dont think it is important for my kids to be around "people of color". I mainly want my kids to be around people of good character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin