U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 11:15 AM

124 posts, read 115,726 times

Advertisements

Austin is NOT diverse. If you’re looking for diversity in Texas goto Houston or Dallas. If you are a minority in Austin there will be differences in how you are treated. It will be noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 12:22 PM

625 posts, read 455,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

We are asian and dont focus on being around asians at all. We just moved from a predominately asian area to a much more white area and it is fine. I personally dont think it is important for my kids to be around "people of color". I mainly want my kids to be around people of good character.
I can't give you any more reputation points, Austin97, but I sure wish I could for that statement. People of good character are what it's about.

My daughter goes to a small private school and in her class of 20ish kids there are 3 black children, one Asian girl, and several Hispanic kids. There are some mixed-race kids (white and Hispanic, Hispanic and black) also.

I think there was technically more diversity in her public school, but she's actually making friends with more non-white kids at this private school, which I attribute to the small class size and the focus on social emotional learning.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:04 PM

1,352 posts, read 957,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
I can't give you any more reputation points, Austin97, but I sure wish I could for that statement. People of good character are what it's about.

My daughter goes to a small private school and in her class of 20ish kids there are 3 black children, one Asian girl, and several Hispanic kids. There are some mixed-race kids (white and Hispanic, Hispanic and black) also.

I think there was technically more diversity in her public school, but she's actually making friends with more non-white kids at this private school, which I attribute to the small class size and the focus on social emotional learning.
So the secret to surrounding yourself with people of good character is being able to afford to send your kids to private school? Or is there some other way to accomplish this?

Old 12-25-2018, 04:01 PM

1,261 posts, read 546,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I understand you have to justify your decision in your head, but I think you would've been happier in Atlanta.

Every black person from Atlanta I've met has said it is awesome for them. Almost every black person from Austin regrets the decision and many from Dallas as well. Many blacks like Houston, it has a well known rap culture and a history of black BBQ.

Atlanta is "da bomb" though. The whole culture from bottom to top is anchored around a proud black history.
Quote:
Yes I have been to Atlanta a lot. When I say a lot, I mean that I used to go there for weeks at a time, sometimes for a month for a client that was based in Atlanta. I've been to the best restaurants, been to Buckhead, been to a Braves game, been to Buckhead, taken MARTA. For all practical purposes I lived there because I had to return every month for at least a week. I actually had an apartment and would take MARTA to get to work because I was on the line and the place was in Dunwoody that I would commute to.
It's been around 1 year since I've been. In fact there is a thread where I was talking about Atlanta, I'll have to find it.

I stand by what I said. I'm not just making stuff up, there are major magazine publications that back up what I said. What I'm saying is not fake but real. There has been a major migration of blacks to Atlanta. Blacks do extremely well in Atlanta and they LOVE it there.

These are the facts.
I'm not trying to be that guy and all, I'm African American as well but I am quite happy to have moved from Atlanta to Austin.

While what you say is true regarding the diversity, I find the quality of life in Austin to be a bit better than that of Atlanta... Better jobs, higher wages, and overall, better people to do business with, less crime, less traffic. (People in Austin are a bit more on the ball and much more progressive than what I have seen and experienced in Atlanta.)

But I do agree that in a sense Atlanta attracts a large African American profile - at the same token though I wouldn't say it fits everyone's stroke in that arena either. Also, the only truly diverse area of Atlanta is Gwinnett County. While Atlanta does have a mix of populations, those populations are typically segregated mostly into their own communities so in a sense most areas do not feel very diverse. Gwinnett holds an exception to this rule however.

NOW... for the OP... the matter that concerns me most however is raising a family in Austin which...I will have to state for the diversity reasons probably will not be easy... not saying its impossible but I wouldn't be surprised if you face alot of unnecessary challenges here in the regards of raising kids. I mean, I could be wrong, I was personally expecting alot of racial profiling, and while it does exist here, it wasn't on the level I was expecting. For the most part I haven't run into any trouble.

One thing I will say Atlanta does have the upper hand on over Austin though is... ...practical services... the simple things like finding a good doctor, late night restaurants, people willing to work with you on services when you're in a crunch -- are alot more available in Atlanta than they are in Austin.

When it comes to food, Austin wins hands down. Nothing Atlanta has to offer compares to Rudy's BBQ or Salt Lick BBQ or to BJ's Restaurant or Texas Land & Cattle or Saltgrass Steak House or anything Hamburger related. There are still some good restaurants in Atlanta, like Smokejack BBQ in Alpharetta or Roasters Rotisserie near Buckhead in Atlanta (Lenox Rd), Sun Dial is pretty cool but more like an attraction than good eating. Atlanta does have all the fast food // sit down and eat chains you would expect a major city to have as well.

When it comes to housing...this is where things get....funky....

In general, Texas Housing are typically better than Georgia's Housing - this goes for DFW, Houston, San Antonio as well - alot more brick / stone homes for similar pricing to what is seen in Atlanta... Now on the flip side... Atlanta's housing typically offers more for the same price than whats seen in Austin. I would say there is between a $50k - $75k price difference between comparably featured homes between Atlanta and Austin specifically... or atleast, there is "for now" because Atlanta's cost of living is ALSO skyrocketing and the job market in Atlanta is not compensating for those changes.

In Pfugersville, I'd say the most comparable Atlantan suburb in terms of quality of house and price would be Snellville .. I've seen homes from the low $210's and up in Pfugersville (actually Snellville is similarly priced in this arena but Pfugersville seems to have a higher cap than Snellville) Otherwise, areas like Cedar Park (most comparable to Alpharetta), Round Rock and Georgetown are about on par with whats seen in Gentrifying neighborhoods in Atlanta as well... So I guess the prices of Gentrifying neighbors between the two are fairly similar UNTIL you get into Austin Proper where prices get much higher than whats seen ITP or near I-285 Atlanta except for the core of Atlanta...Atlanta seems to have more middle class availability than Austin does, but don't let that fool you... That is slowly diminishing in Atlanta as Atlanta too has high demand, running out of space to build, riddled with traffic forcing people to move closer to job centers and areas of high demand in Atlanta contrary to popular belief, are NOT cheap.

You will not find what you are looking for in terms of house pricing $260k - $315k near downtown of Either City... or you would be very hard pressed to pull that off in a gentrifying neighborhood near downtown Atlanta. Condo's / Apartments will be more doable for the similar pricepoint in Atlanta, possibly in Austin as well but I cannot confirm this.

For weather...

Atlanta wins -- sorry Austin... but for your climate desires - Atlanta is alot more bearable during the summer than Austin is. Austin is actually even further south than Pheonix AZ or Los Angeles in lattitude, and even more South than El Paso TX and if it weren't for the fact that the Mexican Border dips down so far south in Texas, Austin itself would actually be in Mexico if the border line from San Diego California was Linear all the way through Texas. For winter, I was VERY surprised that Austin receives alot more rain than I thought it would. I was expecting an arrid climate, nearly desert, dead trees... Although Atlanta still has the upperhand on Greenery, Austin is surprisingly pretty lush (or atleast especially in comparison to DFW).

For paths and nature trails...

Its a draw... Atlanta has alot more of them... especially in Gwinnett County... but Austin has quite a few interesting sites.

For transit...

Neither of the cities are known for decent transit compared to what you have available near NYC, New Jersey City, or Philadelphia...both cities will require a car if you don't live near the core.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-25-2018 at 04:32 PM..

Old 12-25-2018, 08:04 PM

502 posts, read 948,756 times
It’s hotter than the pits of hell here in the summer...and a good part of the year, matter of fact. Just today, Christmas Day, I was running my a/c. If you don’t like to sweat, this is not the place for you.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:52 AM

9,749 posts, read 8,755,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
Itís hotter than the pits of hell here in the summer...and a good part of the year, matter of fact. Just today, Christmas Day, I was running my a/c. If you donít like to sweat, this is not the place for you.
I haven't run my A/C since October but people have different heat levels they can take. Even on that 80 degree day last week my house topped out at 72, that's what good insulation can get you. I usually switch to heat around November and keep it that way until March, using windows if it gets too warm.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:32 AM

12,265 posts, read 28,121,153 times
Quote:
I haven't run my A/C since October but people have different heat levels they can take. Even on that 80 degree day last week my house topped out at 72, that's what good insulation can get you. I usually switch to heat around November and keep it that way until March, using windows if it gets too warm.
Totally veering OT, but we got a new AC earlier this month - a variable speed unit that ran in 'cooling' mode briefly yesterday. You can pull up its 'history' and see that it was running at about 10% capacity and was just dehumidifying. Very effective way to keep the house 'cool' without actually cooling it or using much power.

Back on topic - I didn't read all the posts, but the OP said 'under 92 is fine' or something like that. That sounds dangerously close to a deal-killer, to me .

Old 12-26-2018, 09:58 AM

18,797 posts, read 10,357,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Totally veering OT, but we got a new AC earlier this month - a variable speed unit that ran in 'cooling' mode briefly yesterday. You can pull up its 'history' and see that it was running at about 10% capacity and was just dehumidifying. Very effective way to keep the house 'cool' without actually cooling it or using much power.

Back on topic - I didn't read all the posts, but the OP said 'under 92 is fine' or something like that. That sounds dangerously close to a deal-killer, to me .
It depends on what the real-feel the OP has for each of those issues.

A nasty commute is my #1 deal-killer. There's almost nothing that will compensate for a long commute with bad traffic (such as from McKenney to downtown Dallas, for instance)--except maybe an outrageously big paycheck that will finance an escape to a better situation in a very short time.

I'll live with 100F summers (I've been to Saudi Arabia, and that mothergrabber is hot), because I've also shoveled tons of snow at night, I've been frostbitten, and I've been snow-stranded--mild winters and 100F summers won't break a deal for me.

So while the OP did list preferences, it really takes a bit of actually sampling the mix of factors in each place to be sure.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:07 AM

12,265 posts, read 28,121,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So while the OP did list preferences, it really takes a bit of actually sampling the mix of factors in each place to be sure.
Oh, I agree, but mentioning <92 while discussing Austin indicates to me that they might want to check it out a bit more carefully . I know many people that had some trepidation about moving to Austin or Texas, but then found out that they did quite well in the heat (much to their surprise). It is very individual dependent.

I live in SW Austin and my commute today was ~10 minutes. During a 'regular' commute (school in session but no big wrecks) it is about 20 minutes. I am fortunate in that I have held the same job for almost 20 years now and it has been located at almost the same location for that time period. The overall traffic situation sucks, but, unlike the weather, you can address that somewhat - either by where you work (seems an option for the OP) or where you buy (more budget based).

Old 12-26-2018, 11:08 AM

47 posts, read 16,043 times
Pfluggerville is my recommendation. It's like 15% AA, which is by far the highest percentage in the metro area. Far north Travis County and Williamson county (Round Rock) has seen a burgeoning AA community over the last decade. NE Travis county has a sizable AA population (Manor), but I would not recommend. Schools there are horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin