U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 2,119 times

Advertisements

If you have time and budget, I really suggest your whole family made a week/weekend trip to austin and see how you like/dislike it.

All these comments are noise. Everyone have different opinions and preference. The most important thing is will your family like it? and the only way to know is to try it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 04:00 PM

9,774 posts, read 8,767,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siaopao View Post
If you have time and budget, I really suggest your whole family made a week/weekend trip to austin and see how you like/dislike it.

All these comments are noise. Everyone have different opinions and preference. The most important thing is will your family like it? and the only way to know is to try it out.
Good advice. My advice is also for you to come in August to experience the heat and see if you can tolerate it.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:25 PM

882 posts, read 856,447 times
Once you said you can’t do over 92 degrees the rest became a moot point. It’s 100 degrees and above for MONTHS a year. The sun is incredibly intense here as well and quite honestly some evenings don’t even get well below 92 (80). If heat isn’t your thing your looking in the wrong place. Maybe try Nashville for less intense heat/not as many hot days? Or somewhere out west (Denver).

Old 01-16-2019, 08:22 AM

2,679 posts, read 1,549,274 times
The OP has 2 posts and hasn't been seen in ages. Y'all have fun now.

I think someone is a thread starter.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 1,329 times
I have friend who were in San Antonio as well as myself a single mixed black female ,they just moved to Dallas in the suburbs and my friend loves it. We are both east coast and west coast transplants so we are used to diverse living, so far my Hispanic (mexican) friends from southern Cali to Waco TX also love it ,, so far north Texas seems to be better fit than southern Texas, I am moving back to Austin and lucky i have some great friends here and love the outdoors. good luck and Atlanta is played out,, if you want diversity try Dallas

Old 01-22-2019, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 1,329 times
great info, thanks
returning to Austin mid Feb and I'm excited about it..

Old 01-27-2019, 09:37 AM

456 posts, read 150,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylacutie75 View Post
I have friend who were in San Antonio as well as myself a single mixed black female ,they just moved to Dallas in the suburbs and my friend loves it. We are both east coast and west coast transplants so we are used to diverse living, so far my Hispanic (mexican) friends from southern Cali to Waco TX also love it ,, so far north Texas seems to be better fit than southern Texas, I am moving back to Austin and lucky i have some great friends here and love the outdoors. good luck and Atlanta is played out,, if you want diversity try Dallas
What did you think about San Antonio?

Old 01-27-2019, 09:16 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,050,804 times
The summers are very hot. If you treat them like New Jersey winters you are ok. I basically either swim, go to the movies or stay within a few miles of my home for the summer so it is bearable.

The commutes are what may be the biggest turn off. So many people are moving here and there seems to be 0 city planning for traffic so it will be hard to know where to live according to where to work. If you live in south Austin for example in 78745 and have a commute to Round Rock, you will drive 1.5 hrs 1 way a day probably. There is a small psych hospital on Stassney, if you somehow got a job there, you would have a 10 minute drive to work.

78748, 78745 fit your price range for homes and good schools. I think Crockett HS is a very good school that is underrated AND diverse. Cunningham elementary is none as diverse, some friends of my son moved their kid from Odom to there in 3rd grade because it was diverse. Odom started diverse and then was not.

Austin may not have that many black people but the friends I have that are black would rather live here than anywhere else. One of our best pals is a Chicago transplant.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:20 PM

135 posts, read 73,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterweatherplease View Post
Good day everyone,
My husband and I and our 3 kids ages 1 to 6 are looking to relocate from NJ due to the weather and high cost of living. We do not want to be where it is super hot all the time but we would enjoy some more outdoorsy weather for the kids. Maybe areas where summers are not as harsh as I have heard. Below 92 degrees is fine lol.
Most importantly, we would love to live in a neighborhood with diversity including other black families. We are over being the only black family in the community but it seems like that's the only way to get the kids into good schools. Most important things on our list are:
A good school system, diversity, home with a nice backyard between $260000 and $315000, a community with parks and outdoor activities for the kids, also close to general stores and not too far from downtown Austin. I am a nurse practitioner so atleast 15 to 20 minutes from some decent hospitals or psychiatric facilities.
So looking forward to your responses, have a wonderful holiday everyone. And thanks for taking the time out to help us.
Below 92? Probably between 10PM and 6AM but otherwise it is > 92 from Memorial Day to Thanksgiving Day.

I am surprised no one mentioned anything about allergies. If the heat/traffic doesn't get to you the allergies WILL. And worst part is those suckers wait until your third year (i.e. after you've settled down) to get to you.

While I agree about moving out of NJ just make sure you aren't heading in to the other end of the spectrum. Like someone suggested ... Nashville would be good or how about Charlotte or Raleigh?

Old 01-27-2019, 10:22 PM

135 posts, read 73,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The OP has 2 posts and hasn't been seen in ages. Y'all have fun now.

I think someone is a thread starter.

I'm pretty sure s/he isn't the only one trying to go from NJ to ATX. This being a public forum there is a lot of valuable info. given here that could help any of those other ones too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin