U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 175 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone,
My husband and I and our 3 kids ages 1 to 6 are looking to relocate from NJ due to the weather and high cost of living. We do not want to be where it is super hot all the time but we would enjoy some more outdoorsy weather for the kids. Maybe areas where summers are not as harsh as I have heard. Below 92 degrees is fine lol.
Most importantly, we would love to live in a neighborhood with diversity including other black families. We are over being the only black family in the community but it seems like that's the only way to get the kids into good schools. Most important things on our list are:
A good school system, diversity, home with a nice backyard between $260000 and $315000, a community with parks and outdoor activities for the kids, also close to general stores and not too far from downtown Austin. I am a nurse practitioner so atleast 15 to 20 minutes from some decent hospitals or psychiatric facilities.
So looking forward to your responses, have a wonderful holiday everyone. And thanks for taking the time out to help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

5,120 posts, read 6,328,707 times
I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for here. First, Austin is really not diverse. Someone is going to jump on here and say it is, but it's not. I am from the Philly area, so your neck of the woods, and Austin is a lot less diverse than the Northeast.

It is hotter than hell here in Summer. 92 degrees would be considered unseasonably cool in the summer.

You are also not going to find a neighborhood like you want for under $315K. You may be able to get a small house with decent yard, but it will not have the best schools.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

7,144 posts, read 17,113,922 times
I disagree with CarinvalGal.. except for the weather. 92 degrees is a cold front!!

There are several communities in Pflugerville, East Round Rock, Buda, and Kyle that would completely fit the bill. They are nice areas, some newer homes, and schools are "the best", but that's just because schools are so competitive here that "the best" get saved for the high-end areas of Westlake, Lake Travis, and West Round Rock (gerneralization, as yes, there are other great schools scattered around).

East RR, Pflugerville, Buda, and Kyle have a lot of diversity.

Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

7,046 posts, read 12,661,085 times
Issue one is the weather: our summers are long and hot! 92 would not be unexpected any time between May 1 and October 15 and would be considered cool from June to September. 100 days a year over 90 degrees is typical. In 2018 we had fifty-one days with temps over 100!

The Austin area is about 7% African American.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

Pflugerville is close to Austin proper, not far from a wide variety of medical facilities, with decent to good schools and almost 20% AA.

https://www.pflugervilletx.gov/city-...raphic-profile

Although the median housing price in Pf-vill is in line with what you want, the issue will be finding one for sale. You will need to be persistant and get a good realtor, and expect a pretty small lot.

Round Rock, Georgetown might work as well but the issue will be housing prices. Alternatively, you could look south of Austin in Hays County, the schools are growing and improving, and there are lots of houses available.

good luck!

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,481,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterweatherplease View Post
Good day everyone,
My husband and I and our 3 kids ages 1 to 6 are looking to relocate from NJ due to the weather and high cost of living. We do not want to be where it is super hot all the time but we would enjoy some more outdoorsy weather for the kids. Maybe areas where summers are not as harsh as I have heard. Below 92 degrees is fine lol.
Most importantly, we would love to live in a neighborhood with diversity including other black families. We are over being the only black family in the community but it seems like that's the only way to get the kids into good schools. Most important things on our list are:
A good school system, diversity, home with a nice backyard between $260000 and $315000, a community with parks and outdoor activities for the kids, also close to general stores and not too far from downtown Austin. I am a nurse practitioner so atleast 15 to 20 minutes from some decent hospitals or psychiatric facilities.
So looking forward to your responses, have a wonderful holiday everyone. And thanks for taking the time out to help us.
Atlanta is a much better choice. Not as hot. Large middle class AA communities. Good schools can be found all around.

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

5,022 posts, read 2,461,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for here. First, Austin is really not diverse. Someone is going to jump on here and say it is, but it's not. I am from the Philly area, so your neck of the woods, and Austin is a lot less diverse than the Northeast.

It is hotter than hell here in Summer. 92 degrees would be considered unseasonably cool in the summer.

You are also not going to find a neighborhood like you want for under $315K. You may be able to get a small house with decent yard, but it will not have the best schools.
Maybe Pflugerville??

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

5,022 posts, read 2,461,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterweatherplease View Post
Good day everyone,
Why Austin??? Austin is not cheap anymore. All the cheap housing was bought up.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

9,482 posts, read 8,619,459 times
The average high in Atlanta tops out at 89 although there are hotter days. The average high in Austin is around 97 in the height of summer (with warmer days common). The reason Atlanta is cooler is because of the altitude. Atlanta is over 1000 feet above sea level.

Atlanta has a very large AA middle class that is thriving and growing. It's where anyone that is AA wants to be.

Austin has a small AA middle class that is mainly relegated to the suburbs around Pflugerville.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM

192 posts, read 54,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Atlanta has a very large AA middle class that is thriving and growing. It's where anyone that is AA wants to be.
False. These days just as many blacks are moving to Texas, except Austin isn't really on the radar. Houston and Dallas are however.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

9,482 posts, read 8,619,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
False. These days just as many blacks are moving to Texas, except Austin isn't really on the radar. Houston and Dallas are however.
Atlanta is the capital of black culture, the black middle class, and anything any black family wants in America. Atlanta is the capital of Black America.

Why Black People Love Moving To Atlanta? - Black Coffy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin