U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2019, 01:36 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,285 posts, read 9,574,221 times
Reputation: 13396

Advertisements

Hahahaha not this retread topic again, by the same poster (s) I’m sure.

This suburbanite drives a fuel efficient accord and an Altima but chooses to take public transportation. My commute may be long but guess what I’m sleeping for much of it.

I get to work at either 915 or 945... so I still get my sleep. I don’t get up at the crack of dawn and assume the position on a highway.


Not everyone who resides in the suburbs can’t afford Austin. Austin is a big city that has some great desirable parts, some middling parts, and some not great parts that haven’t and probably will not see the gentrification fairy.

Last edited by riaelise; 01-01-2019 at 01:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2019, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,004 posts, read 7,986,204 times
Reputation: 6460
ďAssume the position on a highway ď
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Status: "Straight up Vile." (set 6 days ago)
 
1,679 posts, read 674,354 times
Reputation: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hahahaha not this retread topic again, by the same poster (s) Iím sure.

This suburbanite drives a fuel efficient accord and an Altima but chooses to take public transportation. My commute may be long but guess what Iím sleeping for much of it.

I get to work at either 915 or 945... so I still get my sleep. I donít get up at the crack of dawn and assume the position on a highway.


Not everyone who resides in the suburbs canít afford Austin. Austin is a big city that has some great desirable parts, some middling parts, and some not great parts that havenít and probably will not see the gentrification fairy.
I donít think that the purpose of the thread was a suburb/urban debate. It was an offshoot of a different thread about homeless.
The fact that Wilco dumps theirs in Austin is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,004 posts, read 7,986,204 times
Reputation: 6460
Everybody dumps theirs in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 12:48 PM
 
877 posts, read 847,951 times
Reputation: 502
Yeah send all the drug addicts to the suburbs where families have gone to get away from all of that. News flash, liberty hill isn’t cheap. And why should the suburbs have to deal with Austin’s problems?

Austin is one of the easiest places in the Country to find work, if you can’t you’re probably not trying very hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,285 posts, read 9,574,221 times
Reputation: 13396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
I donít think that the purpose of the thread was a suburb/urban debate. It was an offshoot of a different thread about homeless.
The fact that Wilco dumps theirs in Austin is a problem.
Maybe, but ot seemed like it was headed down that road - suburbs vs. COA. Wilco doesn't dump homeless into Austin. Fact is that unless you set up camp around the interstate, it's pretty darn hard to eke out an existence in much of Wilco. In my area, large tracts of land remain with no real shelter except for trees. The creek area is not hospitable either. And then you have to deal with wildlife since you'd be sleeping out in the open and there's plenty of that where I live. Wilco isn't particularly homeless-friendly, whereas Austin (especially downtown Austin) is. I work in downtown and just about every fourth person is a homeless individual. It's also well known that homeless/transients/down and outers come in to Austin voluntarily from all over the state because Austin is again very homeless friendly. business is good for panhandlers.

this isn't to say that Wilco doesn't have any transients because that's not true, but they're housed in private shelters run by churches/charities. Particularly homeless women and children. There was a write up in Impact about the "invisible homeless" of Wilco. Wilco is ok with them remaining invisible. The county isn't known for providing services to transient people and I just don't see that changing. Not sure if that's Wilco's fault, but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Status: "Straight up Vile." (set 6 days ago)
 
1,679 posts, read 674,354 times
Reputation: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Maybe, but ot seemed like it was headed down that road - suburbs vs. COA. Wilco doesn't dump homeless into Austin. Fact is that unless you set up camp around the interstate, it's pretty darn hard to eke out an existence in much of Wilco. In my area, large tracts of land remain with no real shelter except for trees. The creek area is not hospitable either. And then you have to deal with wildlife since you'd be sleeping out in the open and there's plenty of that where I live. Wilco isn't particularly homeless-friendly, whereas Austin (especially downtown Austin) is. I work in downtown and just about every fourth person is a homeless individual. It's also well known that homeless/transients/down and outers come in to Austin voluntarily from all over the state because Austin is again very homeless friendly. business is good for panhandlers.

this isn't to say that Wilco doesn't have any transients because that's not true, but they're housed in private shelters run by churches/charities. Particularly homeless women and children. There was a write up in Impact about the "invisible homeless" of Wilco. Wilco is ok with them remaining invisible. The county isn't known for providing services to transient people and I just don't see that changing. Not sure if that's Wilco's fault, but it is what it is.
Wilco absolutely does dump their homeless down the road. I speak to them every week and hear their stories. Both Round Rock PD and Wilco sheriffs are notorious for it.

Last edited by RoamingTX; 01-01-2019 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 08:30 PM
 
6,095 posts, read 11,140,391 times
Reputation: 2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
So many conservative suburbanites clog up the city streets with their oversized gas-guzzling trucks (tons of obnoxious 'blue lives matter' stickers, skull decals, don't tread on me plates, militant right-wing virtue-signaling crap), yet don't contribute to the tax base/refuse to help solve the metro areas' traffic problems.

They complain about traffic on their long commutes, constantly put the city down, and bash "liberal Austin" yet won't do anything to help solve the problem they largely create by commuting into the city they claim to hate so much.

Liberal Austinites have played nice for too long and have had enough of being pushed around by right-wingers (including politicians like Greg Abbott and Ted Cruz) in this state constantly trying to tear the city down, screwing the city out of state funding for traffic improvements, etc. Austin is a highly educated city and booming with liberal technological innovation, burgeoning arts scene, and a strong entrepreneurial spirit. It contributes a massive amount to this state's economy and we help subsidize dying conservative rural areas with our property taxes. Without the liberal cities, this state would be another Mississippi or Alabama.
entrepreneurs and business owners tend to skew republican.. The republican party has a common theme throughout history which is the pro business party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 07:38 AM
 
618 posts, read 495,006 times
Reputation: 832
Austin is in Travis county, I live in Kyle in Hays county, why would we take homeless from a different county? First we don't have the tax base that Austin has. We have our own problems. There would be no support for the homeless as most suburbs don't have it available. We live in the suburbs because we are retired and wanted a quieter place.

We lived in Las Vegas where many times we got homeless from California on buses, it was wrong what makes one city think another can afford it more than they can. I don't know what the answer is but I do know busing them or moving them to another county that can't afford it is not the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Status: "Straight up Vile." (set 6 days ago)
 
1,679 posts, read 674,354 times
Reputation: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Austin is in Travis county, I live in Kyle in Hays county, why would we take homeless from a different county? First we don't have the tax base that Austin has. We have our own problems. There would be no support for the homeless as most suburbs don't have it available. We live in the suburbs because we are retired and wanted a quieter place.

We lived in Las Vegas where many times we got homeless from California on buses, it was wrong what makes one city think another can afford it more than they can. I don't know what the answer is but I do know busing them or moving them to another county that can't afford it is not the answer.
The next time you have a chance to talk to a Hays County deputy, you might want to ask why they dropped a gentleman (term used loosely) by the name of Deacon off at the Austin Library three weeks ago, when he was picked up on a open container complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top