Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 PM

283 posts, read 255,193 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you might be a little pressed for time to do the Enchanted Rock thing. If you still want to see a bit of what the Hill Country has to offer, you might look into a drive up to Marble Falls. From near Lakeline, you're about an hour away on FM 1431, which has a few really nice views along the way. The Bluebonnet Cafe there is kinda the iconic thing to do. I would also recommend Save the World brewery (again, if you're into breweries) and a beautiful winery called Flat Creek Estates along the way. I believe Flat Creek now has a restaurant on site but I've never eaten there. 1431 passes through the Balcones Canyonlands Wildlife Refuge, which might have some hiking trails (I think that Rimrock you mentioned might be one).

Last edited by DashRiprock; 01-02-2019 at 10:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 12:02 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
if you want franklin, you can order it in advance and pick it up. Maybe take it on a picnic out to mount bonnell which is at the edge of hill country..

Old 01-03-2019, 06:25 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Thanks for your advice and guidance! Yeah, I will see Dazed and Confused, and will check in on the Office Space thing. Regarding your kind of hike.. haha, you definitely seem to know your stuff. I'm into breweries enough that I'd potentially hit 1 or 2 of the ones you mentioned (1 local, 1 more into the core) while there. So, I worked for UCF and at that time we still always had practices open, though I wouldn't be surprised that the new regime is working towards closing that up. I guess it kinda varies around places, but you're right, the fact that there's all the scrutiny around it really does ruin it for everyone. As far as the recommendations for hikes, again, I appreciate them! Yeah, so I look at timing and it looks like about 1:40 or so without traffic to get out to Enchanted Rock from where I'm staying. That isn't close, but being in Florida, I've driven further for less nature than that in a day. That said, Marble Falls route looks like it would pass plenty of nice sightseeing, and a character filled town to boot as well. I should have a good time no matter what honestly.

Austin97: You can? That is good to know, but my only thing would be, would I be giving up some quality/experience in order to do so? Do I just call it in in advance and then show up at opening time?

Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
if you want franklin, you can order it in advance and pick it up. Maybe take it on a picnic out to mount bonnell which is at the edge of hill country..

I thought this had to be done 1-3 months in advance and sold out pretty much as soon as it opens? I will have to investigate.

OP, Franklin's is amazing but there is plenty of great BBQ in Austin without the wait. We usually take out-of-town guests to Stiles Stitch. Top quality food and no waiting!

Old 01-03-2019, 08:23 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
My two cents:

1. Practices are not usually open. They used to be, but when the internet came along people started "covering" them and posting what plays and formations were practiced that day, and for obvious reasons the coaches had a problem with that. Occasionally they'll open one up but I don't recall if they announce it ahead of time or if it's a day by day thing.

I assume there are tours of DKR but I've never looked into that. fyi, the football team doesn't actually practice there, they have a separate facility a couple of blocks north.

2. I'm not really a hiker, but the places you've listed are pretty much what I'd come up with. Enchanted Rock is very unique but it's nearly a two hour drive. Doesn't sound like you'll have that kind of time but if you do go, there is a lot of stuff to see and do along the way - wineries, Luckenbach, early wildflower season. Too early for peaches, though.

3. I avoid SXSW like the plague. Can't help you there.

4. For history and architecture, it doesn't get much better than the state capitol. For parks reflecting the ecology of the area, it doesn't get much better than Barton Springs/Zilker. Both also check the "truly unique" box.

Food is BBQ - look up Franklin and stress over whether to commit to the line. It's worth it, once anyway, if you have the time but there are others equally good or at least very close. Salt Lick has great atmosphere but their bbq can be inconsistent. You a Mcconaughey fan? Top Notch is still open (famous burger drive-in scene from Dazed and Confused). The brewery scene has really taken off lately if you're into that. I'd recommend Live Oak (they're one of the oldest and kind of iconic), Hi-Sign, Zilker, maybe Jester King if you want to take a drive.
My 2 cents... If you have enough time to wait in line for Franklin (up to 6 hours) then you have enough time to drive out to Enchanted Rock and hike it...

Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Depending on when you go, Enchanted Rock gets 'full' and they close the gates - letting a car in each time one comes out. So, get there really early, especially if that is during spring break....

Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 AM

283 posts, read 255,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I thought this had to be done 1-3 months in advance and sold out pretty much as soon as it opens? I will have to investigate.

OP, Franklin's is amazing but there is plenty of great BBQ in Austin without the wait. We usually take out-of-town guests to Stiles Stitch. Top quality food and no waiting!
I don't recall the particulars but no, it's not a simple matter of calling in ahead of time. It's several weeks (months?) out, you e-mail them at exactly noon or something, and the first however many e-mails they get until that day's limit is filled gets a take out order. There's also quite a big minimum, iirc - it's not like you're going to get a couple of plates waiting for you to pick up at noon. It's more intended for large groups like office parties and such.

Here's a Franklin thread from a while back - seems like somebody talked about it in here but I'm not going through 17 pages to find it. Good info for the OP in any event.

Franklin Barbecue - worth the wait?

edit to add local trivia for the OP: The Stiles Switch place that people mention is located in the same strip center where the pool hall scenes in Dazed and Confused were filmed. I believe in the movie it was called "The Emporium".

edit again to add another old thread the OP might find helpful: Trip to Austin for 4 days

Last edited by DashRiprock; 01-03-2019 at 10:46 AM..

Old 01-03-2019, 10:22 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Go to Loro, it's a combination of Uchi and Franklin. Aaron Franklin is involved with it. It's the newest fad in town.

https://austin.eater.com/2017/10/30/...yson-cole-loro

Old 01-03-2019, 05:04 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Go to Loro, it's a combination of Uchi and Franklin. Aaron Franklin is involved with it. It's the newest fad in town.

https://austin.eater.com/2017/10/30/...yson-cole-loro

Lately, by the time a restaurant in Austin becomes a "fad", it's likely out of style

Old 01-03-2019, 05:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post

This right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin