U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 01:50 PM

8,006 posts, read 7,992,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I went to franklin's site just now. Selected 5 pounds of brisket. Selected Thursday jan 10th at 11:00.
We’ll be right over as soon as you pick it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 01:57 PM

8,006 posts, read 7,992,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Glad you posted that. I wasn’t aware there was an earlier movie and I couldn’t imagine using “cornball” to describe the new one!
The early film was of course a drama, but the Hollywood people portrayed the Austin police officers running around in cowboy hats, and didn’t give credit to the officer who actually shot Whitman first and probably fired the fatal shotgun blast.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:04 PM

166 posts, read 79,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I went to franklin's site just now. Selected 5 pounds of brisket. Selected Thursday jan 10th at 11:00.
Oh wow, things have changed. My old boss used to order it for special office occasions and she had to plan it 3 or 4 weeks in advance. Good to know.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:07 PM

373 posts, read 293,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Thanks for your advice and guidance! Yeah, I will see Dazed and Confused, and will check in on the Office Space thing. Regarding your kind of hike... That said, Marble Falls route looks like it would pass plenty of nice sightseeing, and a character filled town to boot as well. I should have a good time no matter what honestly.

Austin97: You can? That is good to know, but my only thing would be, would I be giving up some quality/experience in order to do so? Do I just call it in in advance and then show up at opening time?
The exterior shots of Initech are the buildings at 4120 Freidrich Lane 78744, you can see it from the google street view. Here's a site that has the others Office Space (1999) Filming Locations - The Movie District. I second Top Notch, not only is the Dazed and Confused nostalgia great the food is pretty good and the indoor charcoal grill something to see. For hiking / walking as others have mentioned St Edwards and Bull Creek, both are very scenic. If you want to see Lake Travis without going all the way to Marble Falls you can check out Pace Bend park.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Thanks, I will check that one out. Was unaware another had been made recently.
The first one, a made for TV movie, had to be located on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge because UT wouldn’t allow it to be filmed on the Texas campus. Too soon afterwards and the “PTSD” was still real in Austin.
Yes, you of all people really need to see this one. It's literally survivors telling their stories, dramatized through animation. Would be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Just checked and it's currently on Netflix. It was on PBS for a while but I assume it's no longer there.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Also, as an aside-I had heard of SXSW before, but until doing further research, esp. on those attending, I really had no idea just how "big deal" it is. Like perhaps one of the most important present day festivals in the world, no exaggeration.
The music scene is about as far from my orbit as a scene can be, but yes, from what I understand SXSW really is that significant. For that industry, it is one of the biggest international big deals.

You mentioned the Oasis. That's a good choice for the scenery - it's real and it's spectacular. Unfortunately the food there is perpetually horrible. They consistently manage to screw up basic Tex-Mex almost to the point of being inedible, which is pretty tough to do in this state. Nobody can ever figure out why they can't get even a halfway decent chef out there.

Having said that, and because I'd be remiss if I didn't point this out, there is a brewery literally next to "The Oasis" restaurant called Oasis Texas Brewing Company. To my knowledge, they are not affiliated (it's a long story). The views are just as spectacular and the beer is very good. They also have a kitchen that serves kind of foo-foo'ed pub food, which will be better than anything you'll get at The Oasis restaurant next door, but I think the kitchen's hours might be a bit erratic so you'd probably want to check first if you plan to eat there.

Last edited by DashRiprock; 01-07-2019 at 03:35 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 05:42 PM

3,581 posts, read 2,712,253 times
Thanks for the confirmation of Initech location, and the Oasis Brewery recommendation! I look forward to checking both out

I did not know that Hamilton Pool requires a reservation. Would you say it is still worth it overall?

Barton Springs does sound pretty awesome! Is there any admission associated with that also? I would assume this is true for the springs around Austin too as it is around Florida, that they are formed naturally by aquifers with water running out of the ground, thus they have a constant temperature year round (72), and the water is super clean/swimmable as long as the air isn't too cold. Is this the case?

Rainey and 6th increasingly sounds like my Saturday night plans, I look forward to it. If I were to think of a few stops for that night, one would be a good spot to watch march madness for a bit, one would be somewhere with live music, and another would be a spot with a cool patio (I'm assuming this would be Rainey Street).

I think I will incorporate the lake into my plans. If I were to say generally what I hope to accomplish with that several hour span on Sat morning (along with BBQ and perhaps stopping by Initech for a brief photo op), I want to see University of Texas, Lady Bird Lake (probably also Barton Springs), Capitol Complex, and a few other commercial strips/architectural landmarks that have been pointed out in the thread/I have in mind. I will be jogging while covering this distance, so not having enough time shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:04 PM

7,933 posts, read 13,087,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
I wasn't aware that there was a Black's on Guadalupe. Is it a "true" Black's outpost or an extension of the "Terry Blacks" on Barton Springs (which I also sadly have not made it to yet).

It's the "real" Lockhart Black's...in fact, the food is actually cooked in Lockhart and brought to the Guad location daily according to the website. I have NO problem with that!!

https://www.blacksbbq.com/austin.html

Old 01-07-2019, 08:59 PM

1,298 posts, read 934,674 times
If I had to choose between Barton Springs and Hamilton Pool, I’d go with Hamilton Pool. Have you seen pictures? It’s amazing. But it takes time to get there.

Barton Springs is COLD! Another spring-fed pool is Deep Eddy, right in town. I used to swim laps there. It’s enough warmer that you don’t dread jumping in. It’s the oldest pool in Texas and has a great history, including a diving horse.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:13 PM

6,095 posts, read 11,143,774 times
Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation of Initech location, and the Oasis Brewery recommendation! I look forward to checking both out

I did not know that Hamilton Pool requires a reservation. Would you say it is still worth it overall?

Barton Springs does sound pretty awesome! Is there any admission associated with that also? I would assume this is true for the springs around Austin too as it is around Florida, that they are formed naturally by aquifers with water running out of the ground, thus they have a constant temperature year round (72), and the water is super clean/swimmable as long as the air isn't too cold. Is this the case?

Rainey and 6th increasingly sounds like my Saturday night plans, I look forward to it. If I were to think of a few stops for that night, one would be a good spot to watch march madness for a bit, one would be somewhere with live music, and another would be a spot with a cool patio (I'm assuming this would be Rainey Street).

I think I will incorporate the lake into my plans. If I were to say generally what I hope to accomplish with that several hour span on Sat morning (along with BBQ and perhaps stopping by Initech for a brief photo op), I want to see University of Texas, Lady Bird Lake (probably also Barton Springs), Capitol Complex, and a few other commercial strips/architectural landmarks that have been pointed out in the thread/I have in mind. I will be jogging while covering this distance, so not having enough time shouldn't be too much of an issue.
no need to jog, you can just rent a scooter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin