Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 10:28 PM

283 posts, read 252,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Glad to hear it-well Stiles Switch, and a few others have been mentioned already. Perhaps I’ll have to try a couple while there. It looks like it’s actually pretty much in Central Austin (Stiles Switch is) no? About 10 mins from UT campus. Maybe what I’ll do is find a grassy patch on UT’s campus, perhaps one that has sightlines of both DKR and UT Tower, and order there and bring it over.

That leads me to next question. How is the parking situation in Central Austin? I’ve ran numerous half marathons and even a full, so I have a liberal definition of what an acceptable walking distance is, and plan on probably logging at least 10-15 miles on foot (best way to see a place) between the nature/city during my 3 days in town. Also, if anyone has a specific urban planning bent, it would be cool to know what to look for that is different or unique. I haven’t been to Austin since I was 8, but running a cross comparison, I would say Austin seems to have the most functional/vibrant 24/7 Downtown within the census designated south (I’m not counting NoVa portion of Metro of DC in that, but still, looks are impressive.
I wouldn't call Stiles Switch "central Austin" but with all the growth, maybe it is now. It's north Austin to me. You might be able to make it there from UT in 10 minutes depending on which side of UT you start from, and you hit the lights just right, and the traffic is uncharacteristically light especially going through the Triangle area. But I'd plan on doubling that.

You might find such a patch of grass around the LBJ library. Otherwise, I don't know. We used to have protected "sight lines" of the Capitol but that's long since gone. If you're set on eating BBQ while admiring the Capitol and DKR, you might look into one of the East Austin trailers (La Barbecue, Kerlin's, Micklethwait). They'd be a little easier to get to from there, I think, though they might have bit more of a line than SS (but nothing like Franklin).

You seem like kind of a history buff so I assume you're familiar with the UT sniper story mentioned above. The Tower movie hit me hard because I'm intimately familiar with the campus. I would agree that Tower is a very good (and uniquely styled) movie in its own right, but watching it in and of itself is not going to mean as much to someone who's never been there. However, seeing it and then visiting the actual sites would be pretty powerful, I think. Architecturally, you can still see the bullet holes from where people on the ground were firing back at Whitman but you have to take a guided tour of the Tower to get up there.

So you got Tower and Dazed & Confused to put in your queue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 11:35 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,454,123 times
If being near campus is a plus for BBQ, I'd go to Black's on Guadalupe. I've been to Stiles many times and Black's only once(so far). I don't see what Stiles has over Black's except a longer line(on Fridays...the day(s) I go there).

Old 01-07-2019, 06:21 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,594,804 times
That is interesting to hear regarding the 1966 tower shooting, and honestly I am not actually familiar with that. I will have to watch and become more informed though!

So, I think this is the general schedule for exploration and such:

Friday: Driving in, getting in pretty late
Saturday: In the morning, I will probably take our rental car and explore Central Austin, from maybe 7 AM until Noon (Taking into account many of your suggestions). The rest of the day I am assuming will mostly be taken up with shower prep, family time, etc, maybe some additional local touring/eating. Likely too this evening, having a bit of time where there may be some nightlife time. Maybe 6th or Rainey Street
Sunday: Not planning too much for today. I am sure I will see some portions of Austin, both natural and urban, but I do not know what they will involve and it will probably be with our family there.
Monday AM: Hanging out with one of our friends from the area. She will probably take us to some good local foodie spots perhaps.
Monday Afternoon: Letting my wife have time with her cousin, I was thinking about going to Enchanted Rock or San Antonio but I am not sure I would get enough time at each to appreciate. My thought right now was to head out, go to Hamilton Pool, then Marble Falls/Bluebonnet Cafe, then if there's time some hiking at Balcones Canyonlands, and then reconvening with them perhaps at the Oasis at Lake Travis complex at sunset.
Tuesday AM: Leaving out. Dallas flights were significantly cheaper, and also I am a huge baseball/Cleveland Indians fan and they have a game at the Rangers that day at 1:05. If we leave sufficiently early, perhaps stopping in Waco to see Baylor, Magnolia Silos and Dr. Pepper en route.

Thanks again for the movie/bbq/history recommendations!

Also, as an aside-I had heard of SXSW before, but until doing further research, esp. on those attending, I really had no idea just how "big deal" it is. Like perhaps one of the most important present day festivals in the world, no exaggeration.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:43 AM

12,867 posts, read 13,179,618 times
The Tower film is just a cornball Hollywood version of what happened in 1966 (I was attending summer school and watched it happen first hand). The exterior scenes were filmed in Baton Rouge of all places. It does follow the general line of the actual events, however.
I was a huge fan of Franklin BBQ until the line got too long & filled with tourists. Stiles Switch is ok, as are several other places mentioned.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
If being near campus is a plus for BBQ, I'd go to Black's on Guadalupe. I've been to Stiles many times and Black's only once(so far). I don't see what Stiles has over Black's except a longer line(on Fridays...the day(s) I go there).
I wasn't aware that there was a Black's on Guadalupe. Is it a "true" Black's outpost or an extension of the "Terry Blacks" on Barton Springs (which I also sadly have not made it to yet).

The couple of times I hit the original in Lockhart I caught them on off days, so I've never been in a big hurry to go back.

Freedmen's at 24th and San Gabriel (?) was very good but I believe they've gone out of business.

op, you might see and hear about Bert's BBQ near campus but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. It was a go-to before Franklin came along and raised the bar, but it's just a "meh" now that lives off nostalgic memories of former students from the 70's/80's.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The Tower film is just a cornball Hollywood version of what happened in 1966 (I was attending summer school and watched it happen first hand). The exterior scenes were filmed in Baton Rouge of all places. It does follow the general line of the actual events, however.
That's a different movie. The one we're talking about came out 2 or 3 years ago and follows some of the actual survivors and law enforcement officers involved, so I assume it's historically accurate. It's done in a half "interview" half "realistic animation" format, whatever that's called (there's a name for it, just can't recall at the moment).

edit: it's called "rotoscoping".

Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM

44 posts, read 45,115 times
You may already know this but Hamilton Pool requires a reservation. Someone mentioned Barton Springs Pool way back on Page 1 and its definitely worth checking out and taking a dip if its warm enough. I think its a feature pretty unique to Austin; a large spring fed pool from which you can see downtown buildings while you swim, it makes for a nice dichotomy.

Rainey and 6th are very close to one another and you could easily take a walk along 6th at night and then down to Rainey for a drink where the bars are better- Clive Bar has this little mezcal joint called Bar Illegal out back. Some good food trucks too- Via 313 has Detroit style pizza which is especially yummy when you're out having drinks.

If you're going for a walk along the lake there is (usually) easy parking off of Riverside Drive near Oracle (south of the Lake). You can then walk along the path until you hit 1st street bridge (Stevie Ray Vaughn statue is around here) and then cross the bridge into downtown. The Austin Central Library someone mentioned is on the other side if you head west a couple blocks.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,203,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
That's a different movie. The one we're talking about came out 2 or 3 years ago and follows some of the actual survivors and law enforcement officers involved, so I assume it's historically accurate. It's done in a half "interview" half "realistic animation" format, whatever that's called (there's a name for it, just can't recall at the moment).

Glad you posted that. I wasn’t aware there was an earlier movie and I couldn’t imagine using “cornball” to describe the new one!

Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,044,929 times
Quote:
I don't recall the particulars but no, it's not a simple matter of calling in ahead of time. It's several weeks (months?) out, you e-mail them at exactly noon or something, and the first however many e-mails they get until that day's limit is filled gets a take out order. There's also quite a big minimum, iirc - it's not like you're going to get a couple of plates waiting for you to pick up at noon. It's more intended for large groups like office parties and such.

[/url]

I went to franklin's site just now. Selected 5 pounds of brisket. Selected Thursday jan 10th at 11:00.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:49 PM

12,867 posts, read 13,179,618 times
Quote:

Thanks, I will check that one out. Was unaware another had been made recently.
The first one, a made for TV movie, had to be located on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge because UT wouldn’t allow it to be filmed on the Texas campus. Too soon afterwards and the “PTSD” was still real in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin