U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 157 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am in the beginning stages of planning to build a cabin (~400-500 sq. ft) and I would like it to be in the Hill Country and preferably an hour or less from Downtown Austin. I've been looking at a bunch of MLS listings for land but 98% of them have HOA's or are part of a gated community (lake, community centers, minimum sq. ft restrictions) etc. Am I just not looking in the right place? I'd prefer not to get a realtor involved yet until I can get a better idea of what price range I'm looking at and to nail down a certain radius. Here are some items that might be helpful for assistance:

- Budget is 40-50K (or less) for land (Looking for 2-3 Acres)
- Would not like to be part of an HOA or Gated Community or Land with restrictions that would prevent me from building a cabin and installing Solar & Rainwater Harvesting. I would not need to be close to any power or water hookups
- I understand that Septic installation would be required (which is fine)
- I will be planning on building the majority of the cabin myself as I have the necessary experience and tools to be able to do this and would not like to go through a bunch of permitting and red tape
- I'm open to any and all creative suggestions as this is something I have been planning on doing for a while

If anyone can provide any recommendations or sell me a piece of your land that would be helpful. Let me know if there's anything else that might help

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

9,622 posts, read 8,685,293 times
How much land do you need? 1 acre, 5 acres, 10 acres, 20 acres?

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 157 times
Hi there,

Looking for less than 5 acres (preferably 2-3).

Thanks!

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM

6,094 posts, read 11,135,289 times
i dont see you finding 2-3 unrestricted acres for 50K. There is an interesting bankrupt subdivision in lago vista. All the lots are on the travis county tax sale list - they were not sold at auction. They were selling for about 5-6K or so. You might be able to cut a deal with travis county to buy enough to change the HOA rules.

https://tax-office.traviscountytx.go...sure/tax-sales

Last edited by Austin97; Yesterday at 08:04 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

dont know if it is the same bar-k ranch, but it looks like someone got approval to do a luxury mobile home park there

http://www.lagovistatexas.org/docume...pz-reg-pak.pdf

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

this one on FM 969 is 1.68 acres

I looked at it before but I cant remember why it was bad (flood plain maybe?)

2/3 UND INT ABS 4SUR 19 BURLESON J ACR 1.68

you can lookup in tcad using these numbers
Parcel / Account Number: 0211330401
Billing Number: 577803

I found the tcad entry
http://propaccess.traviscad.org/clie...prop_id=425734

Old Today, 07:50 AM

5,751 posts, read 8,211,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
this one on FM 969 is 1.68 acres

I looked at it before but I cant remember why it was bad (flood plain maybe?)

2/3 UND INT ABS 4SUR 19 BURLESON J ACR 1.68

you can lookup in tcad using these numbers
Parcel / Account Number: 0211330401
Billing Number: 577803

I found the tcad entry
Travis Property Search
That’s east of Austin and not “hill country.” I think OP will be hard pressed to find anything in the “hill country” for their budget. Rural areas east and south of Austin are probably more realistic.

Old Today, 07:53 AM

2,280 posts, read 1,149,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
That’s east of Austin and not “hill country.” I think OP will be hard pressed to find anything in the “hill country” for their budget. Rural areas east and south of Austin are probably more realistic.
Yes, and I have my doubts about even that. Getting within an hour of Austin is a major commuter seek these days and I don't know how much land is really left that is actually rural.

Old Today, 08:37 AM

You naysayers should just not say anything unless you actually do the research. Did any of you even take the two minutes to look at MLS to see what properties might match their criteria before saying it isnt possible?

OP do this:

go to austinhomesearch.com

Set max price 50K
set land size > 1acre

I get 19 results

This one is 40K, 1 acre and even though it has restrictions mfg houses are allowed as are horses, chickens, and goats. There are two lots in that subdivision. You might even be able to find someone to sell you a two acre lot (or two one acre lots) for 50K.

Google puts it at 1 hour to downtown in rush hour (right now). So probably a touch faster on weekends.

Quote:
Just over 1 acre in the Texas Hill Country. Lago Ranchos is a small subdivision just outside the city limits of Lago Vista, all lots are around an acre. The roads are rough but the ability to have privacy and a low tax rate make up for the challenging roads. Manufactured homes are allowed. Horses, chickens and even goats are allowed. Lago Vista ISD.
I think it is helpful to increment your price range a bit to see what properties are just outside your price range that might be worth 10K more.

Old Today, 09:44 AM

2,497 posts, read 1,506,629 times
OP wanted 2-3 acres.

Check 12401 Montana Springs Drive Marble Falls, TX 78654.

2 Acres, $35K. It does have an HOA, but they allow vacation get-a-ways, so maybe the OP could call it that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin