Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 17,372 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving fro California to Austin TX in February.

Where I currently live, Costco has everything I need, from grocery to furniture to gas and tires, and I have been their member for years.

But I see in Austin there are also quiet a lot of Sams Clubs, some with even cheaper gas.

So, once I move to Austin, do you think I should keep my Costco membership, replace my Costco membership with Sams Club membership, or get both? Which do you prefer more?

Thanks!

By the way, because California is one of the biggest agricultural producers in America, I can depend on a wide variety of cheap and fresh fruits and vegetables year round. How are the fresh fruits and vegetables availabilities in Austin, and how are their prices? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:04 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisCass View Post
Hi, I am moving fro California to Austin TX in February.

Where I currently live, Costco has everything I need, from grocery to furniture to gas and tires, and I have been their member for years.

But I see in Austin there are also quiet a lot of Sams Clubs, some with even cheaper gas.

So, once I move to Austin, do you think I should keep my Costco membership, replace my Costco membership with Sams Club membership, or get both? Which do you prefer more?

Thanks!

By the way, because California is one of the biggest agricultural producers in America, I can depend on a wide variety of cheap and fresh fruits and vegetables year round. How are the fresh fruits and vegetables availabilities in Austin, and how are their prices? Thanks!
I think you will be fine with Costco.

I havent really looked at prices of fruits and vegetables. I will say meats, especially beef products seem to be ALOT cheaper than anything I've seen throughout the rest of the country.

Gas in general is much cheaper in Texas than California.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:10 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
No need for either one! Gas is so much cheaper in Texas than California! And yes, compared to the east coast and midwest, we have abundent, cheap fruits and veggies.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
we had both for awhile but kept costco. The brands that costco carries are a bit higher end.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:25 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
we had both for awhile but kept costco. The brands that costco carries are a bit higher end.
Agree. I like the staff better as well.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Costco fuel is Certified Top Tier...Sam's was not the last I checked. If you need 93 octane fuel, Costco is quite cheap, 87 octane is maybe 3-5 cents/gal less than branded Top Tier station, if that.

Sam's carried only farmed Atlantic salmon, Costco carries wild-caught Pacific/Alaskan salmon.
Most grocery stores here carry a good selection of fresh produce. I don't use Costco for that; but Costco has some organic frozen veggies and fruit at good prices year-round.

Costco is on the way to Pickleball and the gun range, so that cinches it for me

Sam's has a deal from time to time that practically pays for the first year of membership...we did that but seldom shopped there while Costco is a weekly/bi-weekly trip for me...YMMV and all that

Old 01-10-2019, 06:11 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I have memberships to both sam's and Costco and save enough on regular purchases to more than pay for both memberships.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Another factor will be location(yours and the stores')...I never cared much for the Great Hills Costco traffic; but the Cedar Park location is very convenient to us. The "new" Sam's location at Lakeline was also very convenient and made it easy to give that membership a try.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Also, if you're moving to Southwest Austin, the Costco nor the Sam's have gas.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 AM

949 posts, read 571,918 times
Costco has quality goods. Sam's is Walmart with lipstick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin