U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:38 PM

20,111 posts, read 36,956,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
What you are describing is a typical american that has a really bad relationship with money. You are making up low probability scenarios to justify wasting money on expensive cars. If you buy a 4-5 year old toyota/honda it will likely be trouble free for *many* years. Every toyota/lexus/honda (5 of them, obviously not sequentially, and anecdotally) I have ever owned has never needed any major service for the lifetime of the car (some bought used, some bought new)

I have lived on 12K (25 years ago) and still managed to save about 1K/year.

In austin when I made 70K I saved 30% of my money. The easiest way to keep your rent down is to have roommates. In my case I bought a 360K house with 3 roommates who completely paid my mortgage.

I make quite a bit of money now, but still drive an 8 year old car and have no payment. I try to never pay over about 35K for a car (used or new)

This. We started early in our marriage saving 20% of our very meager salaries off the top before anything went to us, and we paid cash for everything but real estate (have credit cards but pay them off each month by not buying anything we can't afford). We kept it up. It's a practice that's served us well for almost 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
The key point where this budget works is the rent. It's harder and harder to find the rent that low in downtown or it's vicinity, especially in the new buildings where rent will go for a MINIMUM 2200 a month for a small 400-500 sq ft. Unless if you share with someone, but who wants roommates, the rent is the key point in the budget. It's just not downtown but rent has been rising consistently where it appears a salary of 60k would be just enough to get by.

So, taking your sample budget, if you're paying downtown rent and increase your car payment couple hundred a month, for those who still have a payment, your savings went right out the door and a minimum of 70k would be required with minimum to spare.

I believe upthread I mentioned that there are a few 1-bedroom apartments in the South Lamar/Ben White and points north area (not downtown but almost) that are considerably less than you are quoting. Which I found pretty easily with Mr. Google, no fancy Realtor access or anything.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:56 AM

60 posts, read 17,156 times
It's weird where this thread has gone. For one thing, the OP took off long ago, realizing that moving Austin wouldn't work for him.

Secondly, the OP stated that he was going to work downtown, and he wanted a comfortable place downtown (not sharing, not living like a college student) where hopefully he could bike to work easily like he does in his current town. And he said he would need to do it on a maximum salary of $61,000 per year. Half of the posters on this thread have been explaining that that's impossible in Austin now.

The other half of posters have been explaining that it's possible for people to survive in Austin on his salary. Yes, of course it is. But that isn't what the OP asked.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzeltwist View Post
It's weird where this thread has gone. For one thing, the OP took off long ago, realizing that moving Austin wouldn't work for him.

Secondly, the OP stated that he was going to work downtown, and he wanted a comfortable place downtown (not sharing, not living like a college student) where hopefully he could bike to work easily like he does in his current town. And he said he would need to do it on a maximum salary of $61,000 per year. Half of the posters on this thread have been explaining that that's impossible in Austin now.

The other half of posters have been explaining that it's possible for people to survive in Austin on his salary. Yes, of course it is. But that isn't what the OP asked.

To be fair, I found apartments close to downtown (easily biking distance) for well within his requirements, and posted them.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM

665 posts, read 625,009 times
Quote:

For me, part of the usefulness of CD is that other people can search for posts similar to topics that they are looking for information about. Yes OP moved on but I would hazard a guess that there will be a few folks thinking about whether they can live in Austin comfortably on $65k p.a.

I for one found all these similar posts useful when we moved here 5 years ago. I educated myself with posts that were similar enough to our situation then I asked questions for our unique circumstances after that.
YMMV!

Old 01-21-2019, 09:57 AM

60 posts, read 17,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
To be fair, I found apartments close to downtown (easily biking distance) for well within his requirements, and posted them.
You actually only mentioned that you believed that some deals might be available near Ben White & South Lamar, which is not at all easily bikeable to and from work downtown.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:51 AM

10,374 posts, read 9,647,323 times
Quote:

The debate indirectly tied into the op. The thread is entitled reasonable salary for Austin, do the “derailment” only went slightly sideways and opened up the debate of what is a reasonable salary for Austin. I’ll say it again 61k is still decent here yeah you may not live smack in the middle of downtown but you can live closer in but you’ll have to spend more than 1300. Which a single person making that money can do.

So no it’s not weird. If you’re familiar with CD, heck the internet in general, you’d know that topics can take left turns right turns and loops. It’s forum life. Get used to it.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:23 AM

1,155 posts, read 408,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
Aside from the "not being able to break my lease" thing, that was an issue, too. I could definitely live on $60k, but how much "living" can you do after you pay your bills? For example, I'm about to drop about $1k on a new bike, which doesn't hurt me here, but I would definitely not be able to do that if I moved; at least not for awhile. So, it would be like "Hey, I'm here with nice weather and tons of bike trails, but I still have to ride my crappy bike that is falling apart."

Also, if I actually already lived in Austin, I think I'd have a far better understanding of how one can live with X amount of salary. Obviously, I've been to Austin, I have a lot of friends there and I was even put in touch with a realtor, but until you're experiencing it, it's all facts and figures. The consensus seems to be under $70k is tight if you actually want to enjoy the city, so that's what I went with. Again, thanks for the input.

Also, it this reminds me of how cheap it is to live in the Midwest. Thankfully, I don't hate where I live. I live right in the middle of downtown in a big city. I'm not fond of the winters or the crime or the lack of more liberal ideologies, but it's not the worst.
Could I ask which city that you live in? My former UT roomie in the 80s moved to Columbus and he always seems to brag about it. But, he also brags about the old Austin that he grew up in.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:05 PM

5,811 posts, read 8,267,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The debate indirectly tied into the op. The thread is entitled reasonable salary for Austin, do the “derailment” only went slightly sideways and opened up the debate of what is a reasonable salary for Austin. I’ll say it again 61k is still decent here yeah you may not live smack in the middle of downtown but you can live closer in but you’ll have to spend more than 1300. Which a single person making that money can do.

So no it’s not weird. If you’re familiar with CD, heck the internet in general, you’d know that topics can take left turns right turns and loops. It’s forum life. Get used to it.
Again, not true. I lived right behind the P Terry's by Capital Plaza for $851 a month. It's not a luxury apartment but it was about a ten minute drive, in traffic, to Dell Seton when I worked there.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You actually only mentioned that you believed that some deals might be available near Ben White & South Lamar, which is not at all easily bikeable to and from work downtown.

I used to live in that area, the specific area that I am talking about, and we still own that house and know the tenants quite well. North of Ben White/South Lamar is an easy bike to Zilker Park from our place crawling distance from the Broekn S- heck, it was an easy WALK for my husband and daughter many Saturday mornings when she was little and they would walk to have breakfast at one of the restaurants along Barton Springs Road. Biking would have been a piece of cake if you knew the right routes. Not to mention the bus line last time I attended ACL from there (we parked and left our car with the tenants and took the bus) went right downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or