Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:10 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times

Advertisements

When you come to interview, have a scheduled appointment with a realtor and see what the options are. Nothing beats in-person information and actually seeing the neighborhood you may end up considering.

Only you can decide what is worth giving up to get out of the cold. We all make our own decisions based on our own preferences. For a non-drinker, looking for warmer climate but on a slightly above average salary, Austin would not be my first choice. It seems to me other cities may have more “shows” and cultural activities than Austin at a more reasonable cost of living for a single person. That’s just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 07:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Not sure what's actually available, but there are one bedrooms on South Lamar north of Ben White in several complexes that would be closer to your price range. We used to live in a house in that area and at that time it was five minutes to downtown - these days maybe triple that depending on time of day because then it was 20 minutes to my husband's business at Rutland and Burnet Road in far north Austin.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 AM

949 posts, read 572,763 times
That salary range will put you square in the house poor category. If you can afford a mortgage, can you sustain the tax and cost of living increases? The rent here will eat at least 1/3 of that salary very quickly. But plenty of people are wasting their money here doing that. But people are dumb and flock to new shiny things like birds.

My suggestion is to move to a city that is inexpensive now but with great up potential so you can be ahead of the cost curve.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:45 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I say I live pay check to pay check with about that income, but I could easily cut out my two gym memberships (Golds and Camp Gladiator), get rid of a few of my subscription services (hulu, amazon), get rid of Amazon Prime, get some cheaper car insurance, etc to be able to be more comfortable. Like someone else said, that's hopefully for a household of more then one and poor budgeting. In addition, if that person you're speaking of would move closer to where they work (do they work in town?) they'd save on gas. I have a hybrid and drive about 450 miles a week (filled up for about $18 this weekend!) My gas is cheaper of course due to the mileage, but if you're driving from 25 miles out of town to in town plus all your other driving habits, that's a lot of money.

I'm living in a newer apartment complex (built 2016) on the far south side of Austin for $1240 a month. With the extras they give me (a month of free rent plus a 3% school district discount) it comes down significantly. I also have a small yard for my dog. If OP is okay with a bit of a drive (30 minutes or so north or south of the city center) they can find something newer within their budget. If they want to be close to downtown the could find something in the Hyde Park area or 78745 very easily. It wouldn't be big by any means, but its doable.
Yeah. Yet again people make it sound like Austin is out of reach. No, it's not. It is more affordable than many big cities and has remained so. How much longer who knows. You definitely can live decently on 55-60k here. That's a decent salary and there are MANY people in Austin who aren't Google employees and make less than that. Of course you won't live smack in the middle of downtown without a roommate, but you can find a place close to downtown at a doable price. It really depends on what matters to the OP - if having a shorter commute is important to him, then he needs to up the budget to 1500-1600. If he'd rather spend his paycheck on other things and spend less on rent, then he should expect to commute. Though it doesn't have to be "soul crushing". For many, especially people in places like the Northeast, commuting is a part of life.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:57 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
That salary range will put you square in the house poor category. If you can afford a mortgage, can you sustain the tax and cost of living increases? The rent here will eat at least 1/3 of that salary very quickly. But plenty of people are wasting their money here doing that. But people are dumb and flock to new shiny things like birds.

My suggestion is to move to a city that is inexpensive now but with great up potential so you can be ahead of the cost curve.
Are you sure about that? 30% of 54000 is 18200. Divide that by 12 and you get $1350. Thirty percent of 61k is 18300. Divide that by 12 and you get 1525. That is not house poor by any stretch. You might even get an okay duplex in 78745 or 78723 for that price, both within an easy commute of downtown. (I know a couple renting a great 2/1 duplex within a block of the Hanks on Berkman for $1200).

Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Are you sure about that? 30% of 54000 is 18200. Divide that by 12 and you get $1350. Thirty percent of 61k is 18300. Divide that by 12 and you get 1525. That is not house poor by any stretch. You might even get an okay duplex in 78745 or 78723 for that price, both within an easy commute of downtown. (I know a couple renting a great 2/1 duplex within a block of the Hanks on Berkman for $1200).
Definitely. That is a base amount mortgage. No insurance, taxes or general maintenance added here. That is somewhere around 250k and is likely somewhere in Hays or Williamson counties. So, the transportation costs and loss of free time is certainly costly. Which will only get worse, not better.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:44 PM

36 posts, read 48,581 times
Thanks for all of the input. As much as it killed me, I declined the interview. I talked to my property manager last night and I couldn't break my lease... with seven months left. That was the tipping point. I'm not gonna pay like $7,000 not to live here.

If I was a 20-something with nothing to lose, it might be different, but when you're older with savings, living comfortably, no debt, retirement plans, etc., it's much harder to do things on a whim.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:43 PM

60 posts, read 66,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
Thanks for all of the input. As much as it killed me, I declined the interview. I talked to my property manager last night and I couldn't break my lease... with seven months left. That was the tipping point. I'm not gonna pay like $7,000 not to live here.

If I was a 20-something with nothing to lose, it might be different, but when you're older with savings, living comfortably, no debt, retirement plans, etc., it's much harder to do things on a whim.
Wise choice. You did the right thing imo.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah. Yet again people make it sound like Austin is out of reach. No, it's not. It is more affordable than many big cities and has remained so. How much longer who knows. You definitely can live decently on 55-60k here. That's a decent salary and there are MANY people in Austin who aren't Google employees and make less than that. Of course you won't live smack in the middle of downtown without a roommate, but you can find a place close to downtown at a doable price. It really depends on what matters to the OP - if having a shorter commute is important to him, then he needs to up the budget to 1500-1600. If he'd rather spend his paycheck on other things and spend less on rent, then he should expect to commute. Though it doesn't have to be "soul crushing". For many, especially people in places like the Northeast, commuting is a part of life.
Why enter into something near the market peak? There is to much to lose. This town has gone from solid wood to veneer. It is doable, but why waste that much money on rent or mortgage. It is like feeding bears.
People need to do more research or risk leaping into the shallow end of the pool.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:32 AM

36 posts, read 48,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Why enter into something near the market peak? There is to much to lose. This town has gone from solid wood to veneer. It is doable, but why waste that much money on rent or mortgage. It is like feeding bears.
People need to do more research or risk leaping into the shallow end of the pool.
Aside from the "not being able to break my lease" thing, that was an issue, too. I could definitely live on $60k, but how much "living" can you do after you pay your bills? For example, I'm about to drop about $1k on a new bike, which doesn't hurt me here, but I would definitely not be able to do that if I moved; at least not for awhile. So, it would be like "Hey, I'm here with nice weather and tons of bike trails, but I still have to ride my crappy bike that is falling apart."

Also, if I actually already lived in Austin, I think I'd have a far better understanding of how one can live with X amount of salary. Obviously, I've been to Austin, I have a lot of friends there and I was even put in touch with a realtor, but until you're experiencing it, it's all facts and figures. The consensus seems to be under $70k is tight if you actually want to enjoy the city, so that's what I went with. Again, thanks for the input.

Also, it this reminds me of how cheap it is to live in the Midwest. Thankfully, I don't hate where I live. I live right in the middle of downtown in a big city. I'm not fond of the winters or the crime or the lack of more liberal ideologies, but it's not the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin