U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 PM

2,388 posts, read 8,528,956 times

Advertisements

So i am in Leander area and there are days were neighbors have killed a coral snake or rattler or water moccasins as the neighborhood backs up to a river. Out here where the new construction is it is something to be aware of. But we also can go for weeks with no sightings. We have had both dogs go thru snake avoidance training.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 08:39 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,341,137 times
I've seen seven in the last decade, with two being venomous (a coral snake and a copperhead.) All of them were in well populated established residential neighborhoods. I only saw one indoors -- at a friend's house. It was a three or so foot long rat snake and their cat had already taken care of it. Snakes are everywhere here. If you truly have such s phobia that it will affect your life, don't move here or at least invest in some therapy.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 AM

643 posts, read 508,972 times
I hate red ants much more than any snake. They are everywhere. I have seen a snake about 5 times in 13 years including a rattler. If you leave them alone they will leave you alone. We did get a baby rattler in our garage. I was afraid of snakes but for some reason they no longer bother me like they did. I think mosquito's and red ants are the worse!! I am allergic to both.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:30 PM

9,978 posts, read 8,847,028 times
I've seen many coral snakes, one rattlesnake, and many many garden snakes.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 PM

887 posts, read 894,018 times
As others have stated, worry about red ants and mosquitos. Both suck and are everywhere.

Before pest control, we had red ants on the 2nd floor of our new construction. (the ants ate my gym shirt!)

Old 01-17-2019, 10:00 PM

9,714 posts, read 4,184,404 times
Watch Snake Discovery channel on YouTube. She is good at explaining snakes

Old 01-18-2019, 03:11 AM

8 posts, read 3,530 times
So is it a hit or a miss kind of thing? How do I make sure I’m buying a house that is less attractive to snakes or all these pests? ( snakes esp.)
Location? I work off of champion grandview.
Looks like new construction has a lot more chances? So should I look for homes in Cedar park/ anderson?

Old 01-18-2019, 08:11 AM

8,043 posts, read 8,053,977 times
I have lived in the Austin area for 60 years and have seen a total of three tiny green garden snakes in the back yards wherever we lived (5 different houses).
Never have seen a rattlesnake in any of our neighborhoods.
Of all our neighbors, friends & family, I have never heard any of them seeing a snake come up their toilet.
We have been in our present home on the west side of Round Rock and have only seen one little scorpion inside, and that was in 1995. Saw one outside by the curb about the same time.

However, while walking around family properties outside town & in the Hill country we always are on the lookout for rattlesnakes/etc. and give them a wide berth if we spot one. We like to leave them alone.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:03 AM

2,764 posts, read 1,913,601 times
The only snakes I ever seen on my property are a few garter snakes - (the same as garden snakes? I don't know.) There are a few alley cats in the neighbohood and I think they probably keep the snake and rodent population to a minimum..

The only problems I have with wildlife on my property in Deep South Austin are fire ants and wasps. Fire ants, I can see the mounds. They are easy to exterminate. Almost every year I have to deal with wasps. Wasps love to build nests on my front porch and the shed out back. The only time a wasp stung me was when I picked one up off the living room carpet inside the trailer that I thought was dead. I don't know if the wasp was completely dead or just about dead, but either way his stinger still worked.

I once had a scorpion get inside the washer and dryer room when I was living in Anderson Mill about 35 or 40 years ago. I seen it before he seen me and I was able to kill it by squashing it. That's the only time I've ever had to deal with a scorpion.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:22 PM

10,445 posts, read 9,700,494 times
I don't know of any homes/neighborhoods short of DT Austin highrises that are "less attractive" to snakes and wildlife.

If there's lots of greenery (trees, shrubs, gardens, etc.), water, and open tracts of land, you may encounter a snake at some point in your lifetime.

I avoid greenbelt and creekside lots but when your entire neighborhood is wooded and has lots of trees, and there's a creek running adjacent to the property (but not at my fenceline thankfully), there's gonna be snakes and all sorts of wildlife. I've seen two rat snakes on our property, both years apart. The little garden ones I have grown to not be afraid of, they're just here and there. "Snakes" to me are the 3-4 foot variety.

The last snake I saw had gotten in the groove between the garage floor and the door. It was a youngster, I think. Unfortunately he decided to make a run for it into the garage and wasn't amenable to being picked up. So my husband killed him. We both actually felt sad about that afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin