Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:23 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Snakes don't generally want to start something with humans. We are both alpha predators, we respect but don't mess with each other.

If you happen to step on one or mess with it, however, it will retaliate and if it's poisonous it won't end well for either of you, with the snake dead and you going to the ER for anti-venom.

If you leave it alone, generally it will do its thing.
true and i recognize this but when one has a "phobia" it goes beyond rational fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 PM

29 posts, read 82,508 times
I live in north Austin about 4 blocks from I-35 and have found several tiny blind snakes inside my home (one in the bathtub) and a giant 5' rat snake in my backyard, and a couple other random tiny snakes I've seen when I mow the yard. A friend of mine had her dog bit by a rattlesnake in the stairwell of her apartment right off of Mopac. If you are deathly afraid of snakes you should probably live in a high rise apartment down town, anywhere near a green belt or nature and there will be snakes lurking around somewhere.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:23 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
The worst are at 11th & Congress.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Here's a video of a man who's wife found a snake in their toilet.

https://youtu.be/BjbxL1lfHg4

Old 01-25-2019, 12:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Australia, where a lot of stuff can kill you.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/austra...-on-the-toilet

Old 01-27-2019, 09:20 AM

60 posts, read 66,632 times
I'm a teacher and once found a large rat snake in my classroom. This was in a long-established neighborhood in northwest Austin. I remember finding a garter snake in the backyard once when I was a kid (I grew up here). It can definitely happen, but it's not going to be a frequent occurence if you live in an established city neighborhood that isn't close to a wooded park.

I'm phobic of roaches, but I've managed to live here all my life. Exterminators, helpful family and friends, and just refusing to let fear control me have allowed me to not let that issue cause a problem for me while living here.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:46 PM

472 posts, read 432,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzeltwist View Post
I'm a teacher and once found a large rat snake in my classroom. This was in a long-established neighborhood in northwest Austin. I remember finding a garter snake in the backyard once when I was a kid (I grew up here). It can definitely happen, but it's not going to be a frequent occurence if you live in an established city neighborhood that isn't close to a wooded park.

I'm phobic of roaches, but I've managed to live here all my life. Exterminators, helpful family and friends, and just refusing to let fear control me have allowed me to not let that issue cause a problem for me while living here.
Well put. We all have our phobias but not letting them control our life is the key.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:20 PM

11 posts, read 8,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_commute View Post
Hi, I cant tell you how terrified I am of snakes. Does not matter if they are non venomous or not. Its somethig about their sight and movement. They’ve given me sleeples nights before ( saw a garden snake on dad’s yard in CA). I understand they are creatures just like us and have no interest in humans. But...

I have a 5yr old. Buying a house with a backyard has always been my dream. I have a job offer and really want to aceept it.

1. Have there been instances or snakes in toilets?
2. Any suggestions of area zipcodes in N Austin for homes?
3. Can i still consider new constructions?
4. Do they get into houses?

Thanks!
I've lived in Austin pretty much my whole life and never had any issues w/snakes but here's my 100% honest answers:

1. Never heard of one
2. Do you mean zip codes where there's not a lot of snakes or just good areas? Not trying to be funny, just clarifying
3. Yes you can still buy new construction! If you are near a wooded area there may be some wildlife in the vicinity but would be the same for any age home.
4. I've never seen one in someone's house in the city. I've seen common garden snakes in yards and maybe a garter snake or two but only outside.

I'd be lying if I told you there's no snakes in Texas but I think the mosquitos are scarier than any snakes.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:49 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Don't get a house that backs to greenbelt. I have no phobias, but my next door neighbor in Austin (circle C) had a phobia. As a result, her children were not allowed to go into the back yard. They built a two story screened in porch and never set foot outside of it, all because a snake might come under the fence from the greenbelt. They would have done much better to have bought a house in the middle of a lot of other houses - back fence adjoining someone else's yard. That, of course, is no guarantee against snakes, but it will decrease the chances of a visit.

If someone has an extreme phobia, I would say that the best thing is to move to a state with few snakes or at least no poisonous ones. Don't move to a place that causes you to live in constant fear.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:40 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomegrownAustinGal View Post
I've lived in Austin pretty much my whole life and never had any issues w/snakes but here's my 100% honest answers:

1. Never heard of one
2. Do you mean zip codes where there's not a lot of snakes or just good areas? Not trying to be funny, just clarifying
3. Yes you can still buy new construction! If you are near a wooded area there may be some wildlife in the vicinity but would be the same for any age home.
4. I've never seen one in someone's house in the city. I've seen common garden snakes in yards and maybe a garter snake or two but only outside.

I'd be lying if I told you there's no snakes in Texas but I think the mosquitos are scarier than any snakes.
there was a rat snake that entered through a window in east Austin. More of a rarity, but still entirely possible. Even in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin