U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 AM

6,128 posts, read 11,195,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larfvm View Post
From the listings I've browsed on Zillow/Realtor, houses in West Lake Hills are running minimum $2M. I'm still (very) early on in my search, so perhaps I'm overestimating COL in Austin. I am, after all, coming from a quite low COL city.

And I should mention, nowhere near 6k sq ft unless you're looking at $3.5M+.
use austinhomesearch.com it is the MLS from the austin board of realtors and has the most accurate inventory.

west lake hills has 30 SFH available, of which only 6 are above 2M.

If I filter to > 4000 sq ft I get 13 of which 5 are above 2.5M

If you filter for built after 2010, then yeah they are all expensive because they are the teardowns that are replaced with large houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 10:05 AM

6,128 posts, read 11,195,228 times
Also you didnt ask, but if I were in your shoes with no kids and 2.5M to spend, I would do the following:

Spend 1-1.5M on a house close to zilker. That includes any light remodeling (100-200K for new kitchen baths etc) to make it feel new.

I would buy a beach front house in port A for about 500-600K.

I would buy a ski condo in colorado for 500K

You might already have those things so the house can be 2.5

In zillow how are you narrowing down your search? If you use austin, tx it actually filters out west lake hills since it is a different city from austin. You only get the lake front properties that the COA annexed.

Last edited by Austin97; 01-16-2019 at 10:19 AM..

Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 AM

8 posts, read 3,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Also you didnt ask, but if I were in your shoes with no kids and 2.5M to spend, I would do the following:

Spend 1-1.5M on a house close to zilker. That includes any light remodeling (100-200K for new kitchen baths etc) to make it feel new.

I would buy a beach front house in port A for about 500-600K.

I would buy a ski condo in colorado for 500K

You might already have those things so the house can be 2.5

In zillow how are you narrowing down your search? If you use austin, tx it actually filters out west lake hills since it is a different city from austin. You only get the lake front properties that the COA annexed.
Appreciate the suggestions there, already covered in those aspects .

Regarding Zillow filtering, I was just clicking on the West Lake Hills area in the map so that it auto-populates homes for sale.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 AM

9,900 posts, read 8,808,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larfvm View Post
Appreciate the suggestions there, already covered in those aspects .

Regarding Zillow filtering, I was just clicking on the West Lake Hills area in the map so that it auto-populates homes for sale.
If you have as much money as you say, don't cheap out. Buy a $2M home in WLH and fix it up to what you want. $500k in upgrades will do the trick.

WLH home prices will always go up, it's a good investment.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 AM

331 posts, read 966,803 times
Rollingwood is great because the lots are bigger (used to be on septic, now on city sewer), and you’re walking/biking distance to Zilker. Resale value is great because of Eanes schools and proximity to town.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 PM

365 posts, read 84,874 times
Why would someone with so much money lurk on this sight? If you have that kind of bank come here for a while and look for yourself. That is like looking for something valuable to buy and going to CR to find it.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Why would someone with so much money lurk on this sight? If you have that kind of bank come here for a while and look for yourself. That is like looking for something valuable to buy and going to CR to find it.
I was in Austin meeting with a realtor two weeks ago. My objective in posting here is to get a general sense of what's available. I certainly won't be making any big decisions based off of replies to this thread, but it does give me some direction in meeting with the realtor again next month.

No harm in getting opinions from others, and reading up on the city itself here.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM

7,073 posts, read 12,754,076 times
Why aren't you looking in Tarrytown and Pemberton Heights? Are you wedded to a half acre lot? Plenty of new construction (on tear-down lots) in the 2 million range. Can't beat the location.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Why aren't you looking in Tarrytown and Pemberton Heights? Are you wedded to a half acre lot? Plenty of new construction (on tear-down lots) in the 2 million range. Can't beat the location.
The realtor did not mention these areas when we had our preliminary meeting a couple of weeks ago. When I meet him next month, I will most certainly mention these areas. I'll also look at listings online in those areas tonight. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 PM

20,120 posts, read 36,994,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
This is simply not true. Downtown has the highest concentration of 2+ million, then barton creek by the country club, then there is an area north of westlake hills that is a mishmash of small neighborhoods, then westlake hills.

# houses greater than 2M
downtown - 20
Barton creek - 14, but a smaller area than the mishmash
Mishmash -10
Westlake hills has 6

Depending on the definition of neighborhood, you can get a small named area that is an average of 2.5M, but they will tend to be a few streets gated in a broader neighborhood.

The neighborhoods with the highest averages will always be anything that is on town lake, then lake austin.

How many downtown are on half an acre plus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin