U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 2,971 times

Advertisements

So due to certain circumstances I am about to return to America with no job or home to go back to and very little money. I have very little money but may be able to arrange a month stay in a shared house to start me out. I am planning on staying in Austin, TX. But I am really looking for advice on how to find a job and get set up within that time in Austin. I have never lived there previously, and I have no connections. I am scared of becoming homeless. I have few qualifications but I have worked in a number of industries previously - however I have long gap in my employment as was taking care of my parents before they passed.

I am 58 years old, an American citizen and have been living in the UK for a number of months since my parents passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 02:26 PM

5,844 posts, read 8,295,225 times
Why Austin? So many people, young and old, think everything will be perfect here. It’s not. Visit 6th street and walk a block away to 7th street and the ARCH.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:59 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,760,788 times
Is there any place in the US where you do have connections and family? Did you go to college in the US? Many schools offer career help for alumni for life.

I would think that you need to start in a lower cost location than Austin. You are right to worry about homelessness. IF you do come to town get help immediately, ARCH, Caritas, and many other community organization can get you a unifed assessment but there can be long waits for many services, including affordable housing, etc. Are you a US military vet? What industries have you work in?

Texas is a low tax, low service state, so you might far better somewhere with greater social services -- Minneapolis, Maryland, New Jersey, California.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:25 PM

888 posts, read 860,101 times
How does it make any sense to move somewhere with no income no job that you’ve never even been to? And people wonder why the homeless population continues to explode smh.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:33 PM

20,131 posts, read 37,009,536 times
Are you moving here because this is someone you already know who has offered you a place for a month? If that's the case then it makes SOME sense why you would be coming to Austin. If not, I second, why Austin?

I have very little money but may be able to arrange a month stay in a shared house to start me out.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:45 PM

5,844 posts, read 8,295,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Is there any place in the US where you do have connections and family? Did you go to college in the US? Many schools offer career help for alumni for life.

I would think that you need to start in a lower cost location than Austin. You are right to worry about homelessness. IF you do come to town get help immediately, ARCH, Caritas, and many other community organization can get you a unifed assessment but there can be long waits for many services, including affordable housing, etc. Are you a US military vet? What industries have you work in?

Texas is a low tax, low service state, so you might far better somewhere with greater social services -- Minneapolis, Maryland, New Jersey, California.
To qualify for a “coordinated assessment” a person must must meet the HUD definition of literally homeless which means a person is sleeping in their car, the streets, a shelter or transitional housing. At that they have to make a major impression to even get some help. In my three years here I have met maybe three families who have gotten services from a completed coordinated assessment. We do have the medical access program (nap) that assists very very low income and homeless people with medical care. OP could go to Texas workforce but even that can be a mess too. This poster ranks up there with the one who wants to move here with a 25l income and live it up on Rainey. SO DUMB.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:34 PM

1,270 posts, read 469,721 times
Of you can, find a studio apt for yourself and get a computer and apply for work from home jobs.That alone will cut down on the BS of hitting the pavement for job interviews.There are many jobs phone jobs one can do from home BUT you need to be living on your own OR if you live with people...you need to have a room where there is NO noise.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 PM

60 posts, read 20,545 times
Austin is an expensive city with few services for the poor. This isn't the place to come.

You should go to your hometown, where you at least must have some contacts, and get established in some kind of career before moving anywhere new.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:03 PM

3,474 posts, read 1,666,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBarlow View Post
So due to certain circumstances I am about to return to America with no job or home to go back to and very little money. I have very little money but may be able to arrange a month stay in a shared house to start me out. I am planning on staying in Austin, TX. But I am really looking for advice on how to find a job and get set up within that time in Austin. I have never lived there previously, and I have no connections. I am scared of becoming homeless. I have few qualifications but I have worked in a number of industries previously - however I have long gap in my employment as was taking care of my parents before they passed.

I am 58 years old, an American citizen and have been living in the UK for a number of months since my parents passed.
Consider Fort Worth. Less expensive.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:21 AM

6 posts, read 2,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post

I am from Philadelphia but I have no connections there either. Due to various issues I am forced to leave the UK with very little money and nothing to go back to in the US, so I am very worried and not sure what to do. I have worked in assembly and fork-lift operation for Lear Corporation, as an exterminator, as a construction worker and factory work in England too.

I would love a driving job, and have a Pennsylvania license at the moment. But no vehicle.

I have maybe $400-500 to go back with. I am 58 now and I'm not as fit as I used to be. I am not as cut out for work that requires heavy lifting anymore. I know my situation is far from perfect. I am just looking for advice.

It is not written in stone where I want to go, but Austin was a choice that sounded good to me. I am very flexible where I could go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or