Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,301,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well I took my final "free" hike with my girlfriend on a glorious day.

She said "let's not kid ourselves, Texas is ugly and un-interesting compared to California. These trees look like bushes, give me redwoods and sequoias any day."

I said "It's a beautiful day, sunny skies and the trees provide shade. They are not as tall or great as in California but nothing is... I think Texas is pretty in a rugged way."

Why can't Californians just enjoy things, why do they always have to compare to back home?

It appears to be a compulsion. Not sure why, but it doesn't win them friends when they go somewhere, anywhere, else and do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 03:46 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,252,893 times
Quote:

She said "let's not kid ourselves, Texas is ugly and un-interesting compared to California. These trees look like bushes, give me redwoods and sequoias any day."

I said "It's a beautiful day, sunny skies and the trees provide shade. They are not as tall or great as in California but nothing is... I think Texas is pretty in a rugged way."

Why can't Californians just enjoy things, why do they always have to compare to back home?
Tell her that the birds and the bees here are just as great

Old 02-24-2019, 07:07 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,839,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Tell her that the birds and the bees here are just as great
That part is never a problem!

She did admit at the end of the hike that "today was beautiful, almost as good as the weather in California" and that "BBQ is great in Texas, better than California."

So progress was made! I love me "California Gurls" but they are so hung up on how perfect California is, it sometimes wears on me. Listen, I lived in the Bay Area and I know it's beautiful and nothing compares to a redwood tree but the COL drove me out of there. Here I can have a nice mansion for the price of a shack there.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:53 PM

63 posts, read 38,680 times
Quote:

Because many Californians are used to living in exceptionally beautiful surroundings in a perfect climate and anything less is an unpleasant surprise to them. However, not all of California is stunning. Redwoods occupy only a small fraction of the state. Many of the farming areas are flat and boring. Most towns are uninteresting and could be located anywhere. Environmental degradation is rife. Infrastructures are worsening. But at its best ... California is absolutely gorgeous.

Except for a few places, such as Big Bend and Palo Duro Canyon, the scenery of Texas is mediocre at best. The much praised Hill Country is pleasant but unremarkable -- it's "hills" are mere bumps to people used to high hills and mountains. The muddy Gulf is not a beautiful ocean to those accustomed to clear blue water.

What is important is that visitors to Texas should be polite and positive -- in other words, mind their manners and be good guests, however unimpressed they are by the state. In turn, Texas braggadocio should be kept to a minimum. If you go along, you'll get along.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:52 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,839,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowman09 View Post
What is important is that visitors to Texas should be polite and positive -- in other words, mind their manners and be good guests, however unimpressed they are by the state. In turn, Texas braggadocio should be kept to a minimum. If you go along, you'll get along.
This was our first hike together and I was saying stuff like "This is so beautiful, I'm so happy to be going on a hike with you on this lovely sunny day!" So maybe I shouldn't have mentioned how beautiful Texas was because that set it up for her to correct me.

That's when she gave me the reality check that Texas scenery isn't all that. Here I thought it was a romantic hike but she was comparing to California and how Texas comes up short.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:30 AM

63 posts, read 38,680 times
She was probably surprised you considered low hills covered with scrubby trees beautiful. However, her manners should have prevailed over her opinion of the scenery.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:22 AM

15,260 posts, read 35,541,534 times
The failure is the ability to recognize beauty in all its forms and variations.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,088,737 times
ill add that much of southern california is not beautiful. Pretty much every square inch is paved over in the cities. Right close to the beach is awesome, but just a mile inland is a concrete desert. The mountains have zero trees and have sparse low bushes. Even san diego is not beautiful except right at the beach. The cities have a fraction of the trees we have in austin. Ill take a live oak over a palm tree any day.

Im talking san diego, orange county, long beach, LA. Once you get north of LA and the sprawl stops, then it is a lot of rolling hills and farms, but it is not better than the hill country.

Redwood forests are a miniscule part of california.

And california has zero clear water. Visibility is generally very low. Long beach, santa barbara etc also have tarballs

Last edited by Austin97; 02-25-2019 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-25-2019, 09:37 AM

13,441 posts, read 15,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowman09 View Post
Because many Californians are used to living in exceptionally beautiful surroundings in a perfect climate and anything less is an unpleasant surprise to them. However, not all of California is stunning. Redwoods occupy only a small fraction of the state. Many of the farming areas are flat and boring. Most towns are uninteresting and could be located anywhere. Environmental degradation is rife. Infrastructures are worsening. But at its best ... California is absolutely gorgeous.

Except for a few places, such as Big Bend and Palo Duro Canyon, the scenery of Texas is mediocre at best. The much praised Hill Country is pleasant but unremarkable -- it's "hills" are mere bumps to people used to high hills and mountains. The muddy Gulf is not a beautiful ocean to those accustomed to clear blue water.

Well I've been to many places that have clear blue water and yet I still LOVE South Padre. You wanna see muddy water? Check out New York City's "beaches". It's muddy because of poop and sewage. Texas may not be the most scenic place but it is pretty in its own right. I don't have hill country views and all that, but damn do I love just hanging out in my own backyard.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:10 AM

15,260 posts, read 35,541,534 times
*sigh*

If you try, almost everywhere that is not despoiled has some beauty, usually, you just don't try to compare it to something else - kind of a variation on Einstein's saying “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Weather, on the other hand, is hard to beat in some of the places in California. You can't really argue about it; however, I do love variations in the weather and while the weather in SD may be 'perfect', I think that makes it imperfect.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 02-25-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin