Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 02:23 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I'm reading up on potential retirement areas. I'd initially put Austin on the back burner because of the property taxes, but after learning some more detail it's now on the list of possibilities. There are a few tax benefits given to seniors (at least one of you must be age 65 or more). Here is a link that explains...

https://tax-office.traviscountytx.gov/seniors

I lived in Austin about 15 years ago, only for a couple of years. I'm sure a lot has changed, so I don't have any input on specific neighborhoods.
While that exemption lowers the value some and then freezes it, it's still a good chunk of money for those who are on a fixed income and the bill never goes away, unlike a mortgage note.

As I said, my mom pays 5200 bucks in taxes each year, which works out to approx. $450 per month. That's for a 1600 sq ft house valued at 264k. $450k? Fuggedaboutit, you'd probably pay at least double that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 03:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Well sure, there are always taxes to pay no matter where one lives. It's up to each individual to decide how much is too much.

With respect to Austin property taxes, just to be clear... it's only the part of the tax bill that goes toward public schools that gets "frozen". Taxes will go up, but at a slower rate than without the school tax ceiling.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Well sure, there are always taxes to pay no matter where one lives. It's up to each individual to decide how much is too much.

With respect to Austin property taxes, just to be clear... it's only the part of the tax bill that goes toward public schools that gets "frozen". Taxes will go up, but at a slower rate than without the school tax ceiling.
Can't speak for Austin, but in Williamson County, I was told by the Assessor today that the property tax is indeed frozen at the current appraised value. The amount won't go up. I guess another reason why Georgetown is a good choice. Heh. A neighbor in Round Rock paid the same amount in taxes every year since turning 65, despite the fact that her home's value increased.

I didn't say that there wouldn't be taxes to pay, that's a no-brainer. I'm just saying that the amount is not chump change and should be taken into consideration, especially if the house is new and $450k.

The OP isn't moving here for a specific reason other than seeing bright sunny weather in photos and believing that it may be a good destination spot. I'm not dissuading him/her. At the same time, I want to give the total picture so that they know what they're dealing with.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Can't speak for Austin, but in Williamson County, I was told by the Assessor today that the property tax is indeed frozen at the current appraised value. The amount won't go up. I guess another reason why Georgetown is a good choice. Heh. A neighbor in Round Rock paid the same amount in taxes every year since turning 65, despite the fact that her home's value increased.
Ok. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve been reading the Travis County rules, but of course Austin isn’t confined to just Travis. And then there are the ‘burbs.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:54 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingau View Post
Caltex Ranger, Centralaustinite, Antny12 and Riaelise:

Thank you all for your valuable comments. AARP magazine shows the beautiful pictures of Austin that attracts us to consider relocation. We did not know the 2-3% property tax that could be the highest in the country. We can tolerant the hot, but the high humidity. We may need to visit Austin in the July-August to feel if we can tolerant the heat.
I would never retire to Austin if I didn't already live here or have family here. In addition to the high property taxes, homes are much more expensive than the national average. It's congested. Traffic sucks. It gets much colder in the winter than many expect and as others mentioned, the summer heat can be insufferable. Additionally, the demographics of Austin skew very young. It's a notorious party town. If you don't already have a social network, it can be hard to establish one here as a senior.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Here's the difference for retired people. In a place like Texas, with no state income tax, the property taxes are collected in lieu of that. That's why they're so high versus comparable spots that have state income taxes. When you are retired and not collecting an income from work, you're still paying what amounts to state income taxes because you're paying those elevated property taxes. And those taxes may be higher than what you would have paid while employed since they're based on the value of your home - which might be much higher than you had elsewhere.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I'm reading up on potential retirement areas. I'd initially put Austin on the back burner because of the property taxes, but after learning some more detail it's now on the list of possibilities. There are a few tax benefits given to seniors (at least one of you must be age 65 or more). Here is a link that explains...

https://tax-office.traviscountytx.gov/seniors

I lived in Austin about 15 years ago, only for a couple of years. I'm sure a lot has changed, so I don't have any input on specific neighborhoods.
The over 65 exemption isn't that generous, especially when you consider the outrageous values TCAD assigns to properties.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
The over 65 exemption isn't that generous, especially when you consider the outrageous values TCAD assigns to properties.
The exemptions are even less generous in WilCo.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:48 AM

478 posts, read 417,599 times
Quote:
I would never retire to Austin if I didn't already live here or have family here. In addition to the high property taxes, homes are much more expensive than the national average. It's congested. Traffic sucks. It gets much colder in the winter than many expect and as others mentioned, the summer heat can be insufferable. Additionally, the demographics of Austin skew very young. It's a notorious party town. If you don't already have a social network, it can be hard to establish one here as a senior.
For those that aren’t jaded and bitter:

Relative to many places you’re feeling,

Property taxes you have to watch
The weather is way better, and far more volatile
Buck up son, and find some youth

Old 02-13-2019, 05:02 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Hits every point for a retirement move. Especially "It gets much colder in the winter than many expect and as others mentioned, the summer heat can be insufferable."

When we lived in Austin my elderly parents moved to Austin from out of state for the same reasons many list even though we warned against it based on their expectations and priorities. They lasted 14 months, if I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin