Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:52 PM

478 posts, read 417,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't have to consume protein from muscle meat from animals. I can survive adequately on plant protein, supplemented by dairy products and eggs. I *choose* to consume animal meat because I simply like it and it's available.
You're lucky
Quote:
I have zero interest in eating insects and if that makes me not "with it" or not smart in the eyes of some, I'll live with that.
Totally your prerogative. Just understand that you're asking for more resource-dependent forms of protein. Me, I love a brisket - likely the most wasteful protein source next to the beef rib or filet.

Quote:
World hunger is often found in countries that have active, despotic governments that cut off people's access to traditional foods and ability to obtain food.
So, punish the concept for the people?

Quote:
I'd say good, clean water is far more valuable.
And almost as forgotten and taken for granted.

Quote:
Additionally, protein of any kind is not something that is eaten frequently, most people are sustained on roots/starchy vegetables and nuts, supplemented on occasion by protein sources. It's our first world tendencies that say that protein needs to be on the plate all of the time.
Incorrect. I'll reinforce below, but you can't cite a protein source and say it's not important.

Quote:
Eggs are also great sources of protein that can be started up with modest resources. There are people who even have backyard flocks in subdivisions.
Subdivisions are not the demographic I'm talking about. While eggs are excellent protein sources, from a resource perspective, they're incredibly inefficient.

Quote:
Peanuts are also good, fatty and contain protein.
You ever see how much water it takes to grow peanuts?

Quote:
I'm sure I'd eat dog, cat, horse and just about anything if it's cooked in "special sauce" but I don't have to consciously eat those things and I don't want to eat those things and if it's going into MY body, I can elect to choose what I eat
Don't knock it til you've tried it.

Perhaps the brevity of posting from a smartphone with fat thumbs led to this, but let me clarify a few points.

When talking about world hunger, this is generally the topic

Quote:
There are two basic types of malnutrition/undernutrition. The first and most important is protein-energy malnutrition (PEM), or a lack of calories and protein. Food is converted into energy by humans, and the energy contained in food is measured by calories. Protein is necessary for key body functions, including the development and maintenance of muscles. Protein-energy malnutrition is the more lethal form of malnutrition/hunger and is the type of malnutrition that is referred to when world hunger is discussed.
While total world malnourished have fallen dramatically, we do need to take a long look at the environmental impact of relying on animal and plant proteins alone. Plant proteins are incredibly water-dependent, and animal proteins in the scale to feel 8 billion people are unsustainable.

So. Maybe try "Eh, I wouldn't try that unless I was starving"

Then, be glad you're not actually starving - but understand that the more this concept takes form, we can create actual, sustainable, models for adequately feeding a population. Plus, like I've said, I could hand you one of these protein bars in a CLIF bar package and you'd have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
I don't like the texture of protein bars no matter the protein source but crickets without the wings are pretty darn good.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:33 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
That doesn’t fly with me either way.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:44 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
... fly ...
I see what you did there...

Old 02-19-2019, 11:06 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
You're lucky

Totally your prerogative. Just understand that you're asking for more resource-dependent forms of protein. Me, I love a brisket - likely the most wasteful protein source next to the beef rib or filet.

So, punish the concept for the people?

And almost as forgotten and taken for granted.

Incorrect. I'll reinforce below, but you can't cite a protein source and say it's not important.

Subdivisions are not the demographic I'm talking about. While eggs are excellent protein sources, from a resource perspective, they're incredibly inefficient.

You ever see how much water it takes to grow peanuts?

Don't knock it til you've tried it.

Perhaps the brevity of posting from a smartphone with fat thumbs led to this, but let me clarify a few points.

When talking about world hunger, this is generally the topic

While total world malnourished have fallen dramatically, we do need to take a long look at the environmental impact of relying on animal and plant proteins alone. Plant proteins are incredibly water-dependent, and animal proteins in the scale to feel 8 billion people are unsustainable.

So. Maybe try "Eh, I wouldn't try that unless I was starving"

Then, be glad you're not actually starving - but understand that the more this concept takes form, we can create actual, sustainable, models for adequately feeding a population. Plus, like I've said, I could hand you one of these protein bars in a CLIF bar package and you'd have no idea.
Well it goes without saying that I wouldn't try that unless I was starving. And of course I'm thankful that I'm not starving. That's a no-brainer. And yes, I do support solutions to world hunger, but sorry, thanks but no thanks. I'm not going to eat insects to "do my part". And I don't eat Clif or any of those protein (candy) bars, btw, so I'd probably still decline the offer to eat it.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:08 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'm Cajun. It if tastes good, I eat it. If it doesn't, I don't.

If other people had an attitude like me, world hunger would be solved.
I've eaten my fair share of exotic meats at least once, but I draw the line with insects and insect larva.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Well it goes without saying that I wouldn't try that unless I was starving. And of course I'm thankful that I'm not starving. That's a no-brainer. And yes, I do support solutions to world hunger, but sorry, thanks but no thanks. I'm not going to eat insects to "do my part". And I don't eat Clif or any of those protein (candy) bars, btw, so I'd probably still decline the offer to eat it.
Nobody ever said you “had to do it to do your part”.

The point I was making that when every new idea is met with baseless revulsion, innovation is compromised b

Old 02-19-2019, 01:25 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
insert *barf* emoticon

Yikes, I'm with you on this!

Old 02-19-2019, 01:47 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Nobody ever said you “had to do it to do your part”.

The point I was making that when every new idea is met with baseless revulsion, innovation is compromised b
I don't think my idea of not eating bugs is baseless. It's based on 2000 years of Judeo-Christian ideas.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I don't think my idea of not eating bugs is baseless. It's based on 2000 years of Judeo-Christian ideas.
Like I said. Baseless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin