Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 02:29 PM

44 posts, read 43,918 times

Advertisements

I posted on here a couple weeks back about moving to Austin in general, and you were certainly quite helpful. I am looking to perhaps purchase in the $250-350k price range. I will be working at The Domain and would like to not have a terrible commute. This pretty much rules out anything south of the city. I have a mortgage lender I am working with and she says that housing around Parmer, Scoffield, and Howard would be a good bet due to the future Apple campus. She also mentioned areas like Round Rock, and someone else mentioned East Round Rock being good but she said that is not good and that is West RR is better.

Unfortunately the value is much better living outside just a little bit, and I would be cool with that. Anyway, thoughts on those areas above? I remember Wells Branch and Tech Ridge being mentioned in my previous post.

Me: 40, single, no kids, like to go out, keep it tame during the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 03:58 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
I think others have recommended, and if not, I’m going to say it. Rent for a while before buying. You may come to find out you hate thecarwa you bought in. Unless your income is so that you can carry two mortgages.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:31 PM

478 posts, read 417,981 times
I’d take a long look at Parmer Village and the areas from there south to Mopac (Millwood, etc)

There are a ton of apartment complexes along that route that you can rent for the first year or so and see if that neighborhood meets what you’re looking for.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:22 PM

195 posts, read 216,737 times
Jared, I think any of the areas you mentioned would work well and be within your budget. Maybe add Pflugerville into the mix for consideration. I think there are nice neighborhoods on either side of Round Rock and that East/West difference is less prevalent with all the new neighborhoods. Round Rock has a thriving downtown these days. I happen to also love Georgetown though it may be more of a commute than you want. It is only 30 minutes from the Domain but during rush hour would be longer.

You do get more bang for your buck the further you get from Downtown Austin. It is really going to boil down to what you like. Come visit and check out the various areas and see which one feels right to you,

Old 03-03-2019, 10:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Lawd, please don't tell me this east/west thing keeps on rearings its ugly head. There are great places to live in East and West Round Rock, you have to go on a neighborhood by neighborhood basis. I live in East Round Rock, and until I retire, I intend to live nowhere else. I'd also definitely check out Pflugerville, but due to location I think RRW, close to the Austin border would work better for you. Brushy Creek area, is where I'm thinking.

The places around the Domain in that price range are "meh" IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin