Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 05:32 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Ironic that those complaining live in a crowded-looking neighborhood which obviously was just pastureland a couple of years ago.
THEY are a big part of their own problem, yet seem oblivious to that fact.
WE are in a "crowded-looking neighborhood which was just pastureland". Having to live where there was farmland makes me sad, not happy. We are not oblivious.

Perhaps "THEY" like US had to move from someplace where the jobs went somewhere else and THEY, like US had a family to care for. THEY, like US thought it might be better to have an income vs go on welfare.

Either way in this "Brave new World" THEY are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't no matter where they go.

We have different definitions of THEY, that is obvious. The working stiff has little control over their lives. They know who the "THEY" are and they know who let's them "eat cake".

Lastly I'm not complaining about Austin. WE are in Hutto and the running of earth movers goes 24/7. Seeing this small town turn into Cedar Park or RR is not a pretty sight to me. Social Engineering at it's best.

TexasHorseLady: that visual was so 60's! I'm guessing your lakes around the city had a lot to do with that. Brought back memories of my own. I think I know what you're talking about because where I'm from there is a line in the state when you're going north where the same thing happens. The temp drops, the air is fresher, and smells great. The good ol days I guess when we had clean air.

But hey, don't worry, those in power realize there isn't such a thing as climate change. (please note sarcasm)

Go ahead...call me a Yankee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lin-a2lTelg

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 03-13-2019 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Wasn’t born in Texas myself. Born in Georgia and was a military brat until dad retired to Austin when I was in high school.

I was just pointing out that no one should complain about the development, especially the newcomers. I’ve watched it all with amazement around us in the Austin area for 60 years and realize it comes with the territory.

Reminds me of the lady who was on tv complaining about being taxed out of her Bouldin neighborhood,saying she had voted for every bond issue “to make Austin a better place to live”. And then she couldn’t understand why her taxes have been constantly increasing for years.

Just makes me shake my head.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:19 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Today the air was nice and fresh! Wow, had all the windows opened and that fresh air and warm sunshine felt great!

Old 03-15-2019, 07:13 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Same here, even though the earthmoving development at a new section of Pearson Place one block from me that started in July is still not finished. At least they paved some of the new roads this week and might get the rest of the dirt moved so they can begin building.

It’s been a hoot listening to the heavy machinery firing up at 7am five or six days a week, and am going to miss the loud rumbling that sometimes shook the house all day. Hopefully we’ll get a good rain to wash all the dirt caked on the streets two blocks over where the huge dump trucks exited the construction zone.

Dust year round & construction noise has been a constant part of our life since we moved to Brushy Creek in 1995. It has never ceased. Kinda exhilarating to witness growth & prosperity as opposed to my dad’s rural hometown in NW Missouri which is on its way to being a ghost town.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:51 PM

472 posts, read 432,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
The air stinks. It's stale like when you wash a jar out and then open the lid a few months later. What is making the air smell so bad?
I lived in Austin for a decade+ and while it has its downsides I never once felt the air was bad. Not a single day in more than a decade. So I'm not sure what you're talking about here. You sure this is Austin, Texas we're referring to here?

Old 03-17-2019, 09:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
I lived in Austin for a decade+ and while it has its downsides I never once felt the air was bad. Not a single day in more than a decade. So I'm not sure what you're talking about here. You sure this is Austin, Texas we're referring to here?

Try being in clean air and then coming back. It will be more obvious to you. Or, the Austin Allergies have done in your smelling equipment!

Old 03-23-2019, 02:45 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Today the air was nice and fresh! Wow, had all the windows opened and that fresh air and warm sunshine felt great!
Guess that must have been before the Houston chemical fire? Just sayin...reports were it actually came this way.

Anyway...don't really know much about the air flow from Houston. I am reading one of the chemicals is benzene. I am a bit familiar with that one. I do wonder how much of the particulate matter reaches other areas. I mean, the stuff just doesn't disappear...does it?

WTFox: Lastly, my original post was NOT about Austin. It was about Hutto air...but I already said that earlier. And, I don't really ever have a "fresh air" experience here, my apologies...oh wait, I'm not sorry, it's just my experience. Please, don't take it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin