Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:22 PM

895 posts, read 1,231,738 times

Advertisements

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/...4-f9bf9088d69a

Huge shock to anyone who has to drive out here I’m sure. The worst drivers in the country and most definelty the most aggressive that I’ve ever seen. Wonder if the correlation of majority Californian cities near the top has anything to do with it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 10:55 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,428,196 times
Since most new Austinites are from elsewhere in Texas, I doubt it has anything to do with Chicago or California...

Old 03-14-2019, 07:48 AM

895 posts, read 1,231,738 times
You’ll notice Chicago didnt crack the top 10 unlike every major crap hole in California did. Acting like you’re the most important person in the road and have to be first everywhere you go.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:24 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,428,196 times
But that was not what the ranking was based on, it was based on "speeding, hard braking or accelerating." So, the style of driving is aggressive, but that data doesn't really tell you much else.

Not that I am saying Austin isn't aggressive drivers or whatnot, it is just a pointless list....

Old 03-14-2019, 08:42 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,537,360 times
I don't agree with that list at all. The survey was perfomed by Gas Buddy. Doesn't sound real scientific, if you ask me. I would like to know how they gathered their data. Was it a questionaire for the people who submit gas station prices for Gas Buddy? Was it multiple choice questions or true and false, or essay questions? Or do they send people out to count the driving mistakes the people make? I wonder what the percentage of drivers on the road from outside the Austin region are on Thursday thru Sunday?

Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,418,494 times
Since it's an app, it doesn't really reflect the average American driver. It reflects technology adopters, which I suspect skews the demographic younger.

I am a hell of a lot more chill on the road now then when I moved here from Chicago 40 years ago, that's why it's not on the list anymore! (Pretty sure we didn't have Gas Buddy back then.)

Old 03-14-2019, 09:06 AM

12,866 posts, read 13,171,717 times
Well sorry about that folks, I learned to drive in Mexico.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:15 AM

478 posts, read 412,541 times
Having driven roughly a million miles all throughout Texas over the past couple of decades, there is one consistent pattern that I see.

Drivers get progressively worse and more aggressive or more clueless the further into the suburbs you get. I'd bet that it has something to do with those commutes being the longest (hell, CA invented the road rage shooting) and people melting down after spending so many hours trapped in a box.

This absolutely holds true in Austin, it's crazy apparent in Dallas - and let's not even get started on Houston.

Austin, for some reason, tends to skew toward the north side with this. The further you progress up 183/35 or Mopac it gets wilder - once you hit 45 heading north, you'd better be buckled up.

Dallas is easy to see too - each "ring" you cross through the drivers get more and more insane (635/PGBT/121).

So, being that the OP lives on the far edge of the Austin metro, he likely sees the worst of it on a regular basis - not to mention all the barely licensed immigrant population that came from areas where traffic rules don't really apply and it's more of a free for all. Texas, on the whole, does a very poor job at adult driver training and education, enforcement of driver's license laws, and taking bad drivers off the road - after all, you can have multiple infractions for driving without a license, DWI, etc. and still have the ability to drive around with impunity.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:38 AM

12,866 posts, read 13,171,717 times
Well heck, “they” don’t even do anything about the toll road scofflaws who use them daily without paying and accrue thousands in fines. Yet they know exactly who they are and publish their names..... and nothing happens.

Then there are the pedestrians & bicycle riders who ignore most traffic rules.

Crazy I tell ya!

Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,185,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Since most new Austinites are from elsewhere in Texas, I doubt it has anything to do with Chicago or California...

The things I always wonder about those maps and such that show this are, first, how many of those are college students, and, second, where exactly did they come from before they came from another city in Texas - that is, did they relocate to Dallas or Houston, say, and then to Austin? Or even Killeen and then to Austin (via Fort Hood)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin