U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 AM

6,879 posts, read 10,922,537 times

Advertisements

Agreed with the previous posters on both counts. You don't have to be friends with the neighbor, but you will have to see them everyday as long as you/they live there. Just because they didn't talk to you, doesn't mean you shouldn't talk to them. Someone has to be the bigger man (or woman). And privacy usually is good.

If you feel so strongly that you've been wronged, speak to them first then write a letter to them. Document the fact that it is on your property, and if it is not moved it belongs to you... and you reserve the right to remove it at any time.

Did they only put the privacy trellis up on your side of their yard, or on all sides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 24,914 times
Default Fences & Property Lines

You know I don't mind the privacy issue, but what I do mind is this obnoxious trellis that stretches across the entire back part of the fence. I can't stand lattice and the only reason they went with this design was to match their new porch addition. I can't even enjoy my backyard with that eyesore. It's a matter of taste, and hopefully we can resolve it. I really feel the HOA had no right to give permission without asking how we felt first and showing us their plans. We could of easily settled this and put up a taller fence without lattice if they talked to us. If they had enough sense to submit plans to the HOA, then they should of talked to us before taking any action.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,483,917 times
Talk to them about it is my opinion. Anyway, did they put the trellis up on their side of the fence or did they attach it to your view of the fence? Are you saying it sticks up 8 feet from the already 6' or so privacy fence that's already there? Because 14' of privacy fence is quite a lot. or are you saying it sticks over a little, but is 8' length along the fence? Put the shoes on the other foot, what if you put something up they didn't like and then they started doing rude things without talking to you first just because your personal styles don't match.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 PM

16,011 posts, read 26,242,252 times
You have to be real careful with this stuff -- it can easily get out of proportion and take on a life of its own. Then it can cost you a fortune in legal bills.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:00 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,483,917 times
I just reread the post above, and agree it can be touchy since it's mainly a matter of personal taste. But I wonder why they didn't take into consideration that they could put the lattice on the fence out of view. That's what we did with some wire trellis for some plants to climb. Our only deal with ours on our neighbors side was that when my daughter was smaller, she'd climb it and peek into his yard. Luckily, he's pretty good humored and would play peek a boo with her if he was out there. Have you written a complaint letter to the HOA? They are supposed to keep the complaint anonymous. If we are going to do anything that abuts our neighbors yard, we usually ask his opinion, especially if it's garden related. He does likewise, but we do it not so much in a tone of voice asking their permission, even though it sort of is, but more like "Hey, What's your opinion on this? Do you think it'd look cool?' He does the same with us if he's planning anything that borders us.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,609,400 times
Curiously, I've been thinking about this issue a lot today.
I do think that the lattice neighbor should have checked in with the neighbor. But is it such an enormous thing for someone to be upset about? If they share the fence (can't remember?) then what's wrong with putting up the lattice on their side of the fence? If they don't share the fence, if it belongs to the offended party, I guess if I were the offended party, I would remind the lattice people that it was MY fence, that I didn't like it and then I would take it down. Why am I so interested???

Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,571,756 times
Ugh, I'm right with you. I can't STAND lattice!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:31 PM

6,879 posts, read 10,922,537 times
Not that it is really relevant to the thread, but I hate lattice too. Looks so cheap. I know there aren't many alternatives for things like keeping critters out of crawl spaces and such... but still, I can't stand it.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 AM

Thanks guys for all the advice. I believe the HOA had no right to give permission without checking with us first. Now I have the City of Austin involved, and they have to get a building permit now. They didn't have our permission to attach it to the fence we share. These guys spent over $2000 for this lattice fence addition, and the fence is very heavy. They also stained their side of the fence and informed us that they were planning on staining the other side, but I'm totally against that because of course this is their style not ours. I'm sure they wouldn't like it, if I decided to nail things into the fence that I like and they had to look at everyday. We're the ones with the liability if the fence falls down, since we have a pool. If these people knew you had to get permission with putting up a structure, then they should of had enough sense to ask what we thought. The HOA should of definitely asked our permission and showed us the plans first. Then they would of realized how much I hate lattice/trellis, and we could of come up with a better idea. One of the reasons we joined an HOA is so this stuff shouldn't happen. Neighbors need to respect one another and think of how the other person might feel.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 AM

Just got off the phone with City of Austin, and happy to say that you must first get a building permit, for any permanent structure over 6ft in height. If we all have neighbors that decided to put things in their yards over 6ft, you'll have a neighbor war going on. If they had talked to us first, all this could of been avoided, and we could of found a better way of privacy that we both agreed on. I also feel the HOA failed miserably in protecting our property in approving this fence addition without asking what we thought of the plans. It's kind of funny because we had to get a permit for our pool and your not able to see it. This is to make sure that we don't get close to the property lines and doesn't keep our neighbors from enjoying their property. Unfortunately, they also didn't get a building permit for their patio and risk loosing that. Of course, that was done about 6 months ago and that didn't bother me. The lesson here is respect your neighbors and remember that all our tastes are different. I really appreciated all the advice. I'll let you guys know the final outcome when we find out. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin