Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 05:31 PM

4 posts, read 13,944 times

Advertisements

Can someone fill us in on how folks with asthma and allergies deal with Austin. My husband has real trouble with indoor allergies and its a major consideration for us in our quest to relocate from the Chicago area to someplace warmer -- and less prone to dust mites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 05:51 PM

122 posts, read 405,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzipperer View Post
Can someone fill us in on how folks with asthma and allergies deal with Austin. My husband has real trouble with indoor allergies and its a major consideration for us in our quest to relocate from the Chicago area to someplace warmer -- and less prone to dust mites!
We had a lot of relief using an air purifier (a good quality model ) in the bedroom. There are a lot of people with allergies in Austin, but the allergens are different than other areas. Our allergic dog actually does much better in Austin than San Diego. However, my husband did not!!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:53 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,614,605 times
Both my sons and husband have asthma and allergies and they all just take medicines all year round but no biggie we are used to it. One son is on allergy shots and we are starting to see results at long last! Dust is everywhere though. Tell me if you can find a place without it cause I hate dusting!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,579,993 times
My daughter has asthma but it only really bothers her in the colder months or if she gets an upper respiratory infection. Other than that, she takes Zyrtec syrup and doesn't do too badly at all.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,018,343 times
It depends on your allergies - and dust mites are everywhere!

Old 04-12-2008, 02:04 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,248,496 times
The oak pollen has been just AWFUL over the past couple of weeks. I've been sniffly and had a sore throat. Cedar fever over the winter can be a pain, too. Apparently, Austin is at the top for allergy capitals. Austin ranked worst city for allergies | News for Austin, Texas | kvue.com | Top Stories (http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/112007kvueallergies-cb.216fb8dd.html - broken link)

Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 PM

709 posts, read 1,394,207 times
Many almost all of the various regions of Texas all come together here in Austin. With the different types of pollen, weeds, and what-nots. Anyway, Austin is by far the worst area in Texas for people with bad allergies. I grew up in Austin and never had them, but then spent ~10 years living in Boston and LA and when I came back I had horrible allergies for 2 years and then they went aways again. I'm lucky. Most people I know who were not born or raised here in Austin, but moved here never get better and it can be very bad on some.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,184 times
You name it, Austin area has it!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,914,919 times
In all my years in Austin I was never badly troubled with cedar fever, the allergic reaction to the winter-pollinating native juniper trees. However, I did often find that I grew increasingly congested in the evening, which may have been a mild reaction. Please note that many folks aren't initially bothered by the cedar/juniper allergy and only become sensitized to that pollen after a couple of years. Some folks have a quite pronounced allergic reaction and get really ill, even experiencing a slight fever allegedly (I'm not sure whether this is an objective elevation of body temperature or instead simply a subjective feeling of fever). Ragweed gets cited on the local weather reports all the time as an allergen. I must say, however, that I'm really not sure that Austin is much worse than most places in North America for various natural allergens. I tend to think the complaints get exaggerated, a bit like the English habitually complaining of their weather and making it sound far more disagreeable than it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin