Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 02:31 PM

15,241 posts, read 35,440,091 times

Advertisements

Eh, we have Trumpsters up and down the street, although I would be hard-pressed to recall who is now since the signs are down. We have same-sex couples, who are (I presume) liberal on at least that issue. Online or whatnot, people are pretty vocal. Up and down the street, I have not heard a peep.

I have on-again/off-again political conversations during lunch with a co-worker (have known him for 25+ years) and we debate pretty damn politely and it never impacts our work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 02:49 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,594,193 times
Our neighborhood has all sorts of political signs around election time. Doesn’t determine who my friends will be. If you’re so narrow minded that you can’t engage with people of different views, you are the one missing out.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:35 PM

12,866 posts, read 13,179,618 times
Kinky, why the hell not? :

Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,064,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Our neighborhood has all sorts of political signs around election time. Doesn’t determine who my friends will be. If you’re so narrow minded that you can’t engage with people of different views, you are the one missing out.
I agree, and Austin is a great place to have this kind of attitude. It is common. If we all insist on living in our bubbles, we will be less and less able to talk to each other. I no longer live in Austin, but it is one of the things I liked about it. People had all different political beliefs and still got along and were good neighbors.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:01 PM

472 posts, read 428,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
since anecdotes are becoming data. I think conservatives actually are pretty good about keeping quiet, especially in this climate. But my liberal neighbors have no problem discussing how much they hate trump.
And from 2008 to 2016 conservatives just wouldn't S T F U. So many "Nobama" bumper stickers on redneck trucks and Waco ... man Waco! was having a total meltdown. They even put up ads on I-35 demeaning Obama.

So I guess it is the same in both parties. If your party didn't win, whine and throw a fit for 4 years

Old 04-12-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
And from 2008 to 2016 conservatives just wouldn't S T F U. So many "Nobama" bumper stickers on redneck trucks and Waco ... man Waco! was having a total meltdown. They even put up ads on I-35 demeaning Obama.

So I guess it is the same in both parties. If your party didn't win, whine and throw a fit for 4 years
Yeah, was kinda thinking the same thing, people were coming unglued when Obama was prez.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:01 AM

Oh, it mas more about online than in person, at least in my neighborhood. I don't hear much in the way of political rhetoric in person , really, and (thankfully) it tends to be more issue based than personal attacks.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:09 AM

12,866 posts, read 13,179,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Yeah, was kinda thinking the same thing, people were coming unglued when Obama was prez.
As they did when W was in office, and the guy before him.... and before that one, and..... so on.....

Clown show forever no matter who is the lead clown.

So why let that discombobulation interfere with one’s relationship with neighbors, friends, & family? Chill, as they say.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:43 AM

172 posts, read 176,240 times
I was ridiculed by a group of liberals I was hanging out with (had just met them that night). I hadn't said a single political word. But one drunk girl kept slamming Trump. Did I defend him? No. Not because I didn't think she was a loon, but because I had just met them and was trying to be polite. I didn't want to make a scene. But because I wasn't laughing with them, I got singled out as a Trump-lover and ridiculed. Nice.

As for assuming a gay couple is liberal, it's not always a slam dunk. My sister is in a same-sex marriage and both are conservative Republicans.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:44 AM

172 posts, read 176,240 times
And btw, I saw it twice on page 1...

It's HAYS County! Not Hayes. The guy was a Texas hero. Let's get his name right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin