Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 01:27 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Thankfully, the N word is almost unanimously viewed as hateful.
Unless you're black of course then it's just a normal part of the vernacular, kinda like the "b" word and the "h" word with reference to women.

Quote:
OP, please don't ever come to Houston..we don't need your hateful way of thinking.

Ah, so you're answer to a "hateful way of thinking" is to hate back, got it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 03:31 PM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Unless you're black of course then it's just a normal part of the vernacular, kinda like the "b" word and the "h" word with reference to women.

Just for clarity...I'd have the same reaction if a poster posted a thread about only living in the most "liberal" neighborhood in Austin.

The point is, that for the majority of us moderates, republicans and democrats, BOTH the Conservatives and Liberals are the FAR FAR end of both of the Republican and Democrat spectrum.

It's like having a conversation with a narcissist because they do NOT have the maturity or sensitivity to even consider another viewpoint other than their own....let alone understand or compromise.

Again I'm not talking about the more understanding Republicans or Democrats, I'm talking about people who love to throw out the C or L word to back up their view of reality and everything else is evil. They use hate and fear to make their argument on why THEIR way is the only righteous way. Again, BOTH Liberals and Conservatives.

Those people, BOTH, scare me and YES..they spew hate wherever they go.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
So it's not OK to hate hate?
Never said it wasn't ok, just pointing out the hypocrisy in the post.

Quote:
If someone told you they hated a certain nationality, wished they could molest children, and had thoughts of killing people, would you say "no big deal" and embrace them in your neighborhood?
Come now, the OP didn't say anything remotely close to that. Plus I wouldn't "hate" that person, there may be concern about safety for sure, but that's not nearly the same as hating and simply trying to push that person off on some other neighborhood, or in many ways even worse push them into neighborhoods how may have like thinkers really is sticking one's head in the ground.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Just for clarity...I'd have the same reaction if a poster posted a thread about only living in the most "liberal" neighborhood in Austin.

The point is, that for the majority of us moderates, republicans and democrats, BOTH the Conservatives and Liberals are the FAR FAR end of both of the Republican and Democrat spectrum.

It's like having a conversation with a narcissist because they do NOT have the maturity or sensitivity to even consider another viewpoint other than their own....let alone understand or compromise.

Again I'm not talking about the more understanding Republicans or Democrats, I'm talking about people who love to throw out the C or L word to back up their view of reality and everything else is evil. They use hate and fear to make their argument on why THEIR way is the only righteous way. Again, BOTH Liberals and Conservatives.

Those people, BOTH, scare me and YES..they spew hate wherever they go.
I guess it really just comes down to definitions and labels. If your definition of "Conservative" or "Liberal" only encompasses the most extreme of either lowercase point of view, then fine. I'm just not convinced that the OP, which is who you were directly addressing, falls into that category. AAMOF, I think it's this knee-jerk labeling that is the cornerstone of the groups you purport to dislike.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post

whoa. talk about WTF. Give me a break. So you're saying that just being black means that those words are in your vocabulary and that they're everyday usage? that those words are acceptable? What the hell? It's called being crass and low class and that has no color. We have a Black attorney at my firm and I bet my salary you won't hear him saying "n" "b" or "h". Oh, but I'm sure you think every Black person is like the caricatures that you see in the media....as if being Black is synonymous with being ghetto.

that's everyday vernacular for people who have no class and those words shouldn't be spoken by anyone.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:06 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
What brta1 said.

Although I have been known to put out my “Kinky Friedman For Governor” yard sign before some November elections just to annoy the neighbors (in a humorous way).
I had to chuckle at this one, I bet the majority of folks on this forum don’t even know who Kinky Friedman is. For the record, I do.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
whoa. talk about WTF. Give me a break. So you're saying that just being black means that those words are in your vocabulary and that they're everyday usage? that those words are acceptable? What the hell? It's called being crass and low class and that has no color. We have a Black attorney at my firm and I bet my salary you won't hear him saying "n" "b" or "h". Oh, but I'm sure you think every Black person is like the caricatures that you see in the media....as if being Black is synonymous with being ghetto.

that's everyday vernacular for people who have no class and those words shouldn't be spoken by anyone.
No, not every black person does, I was using a gross generalization in response to the gross generalizations that the poster was proffering. It can not be denied however that in today's view of racial "correctness", blacks are generally given a pass when it comes to the "n" word and in fact, many blacks do use it as a part of their regular vernacular (actually I have noticed that cursing in general has become far more mainstream than it used to be "in the day").

Old 04-20-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
You're welcome to spin it anyway you want. The end result is the same. You are condoning it.
What exactly am I condoning again? That one shouldn't hate haters? I'm genuinely unsure exactly what you are referring to here.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the OP, I was talking to the poster you quoted (and it's clear he was talking about those extremists on both sides of the aisle). And I do think it's interesting how you feel about child molesters and people that think about killing others. But since you're good with that, hopefully they move to your neighborhood.
Right, the poster I quoted explicitly said:

"OP, please don't ever come to Houston..we don't need your hateful way of thinking."

and my reply was specifically related to that explicit statement. I even formatted my response such that my statement followed that exact quote, not the stuff that came before, which is what you seem to be referring to.

Quote:
And I do think it's interesting how you feel about child molesters and people that think about killing others. But since you're good with that, hopefully they move to your neighborhood.
Ah, so you think that any response has to be binary, "yer either fer us er genst us". Hence your "mature" response to the fact that I don't just simply "hate". As we've discussed, you are certainly free to hate me for not agreeing with you, do know that I don't hate you however, I prefer to think that I can understand and not agree (or even not approve) without resorting to an extreme reaction.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:27 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
So...OP, have we answered your question? LOL

Old 04-21-2019, 09:15 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Happy Easter, folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin