Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 AM

101 posts, read 165,203 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for the most conservative suburb south of Austin that is within 45 minutes of downtown. Specifically, by conservative I mean non-religious conservative. Not bible thumpers. Having said that, if I had to choose between liberals and bible thumpers, I'd choose bible thumpers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 01:25 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I'd guess Kyle. It's in Hayes County. It's about 19 miles to downtown Austin. It's closer to Downtown San Marcos. It's about 12 miles from Far South Austin.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
I'm looking for the most conservative suburb south of Austin that is within 45 minutes of downtown. Specifically, by conservative I mean non-religious conservative. Not bible thumpers. Having said that, if I had to choose between liberals and bible thumpers, I'd choose bible thumpers.
This map shows by area which neighborhoods voted for trump vs clinton. It should be relatively zoomed in to austin. You can see very clearly at a relatively granular level which areas have more conservative voters.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...30.343/-97.760

Old 04-11-2019, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,516 times
I've lived in north, south & central Austin between suburban and urban areas in my ten years here and I've yet to really know or care what my neighbor's political views are. Before that I lived in conservative areas of the state and politics never came up with my neighbors at least not often. I've had neighbors rant politically before during conversation but I just ignore it, as long as they're not bothering me I don't care what they tick in the voting booth. I've never been offended by a person's political yard signs even when I'm voting for the other person. Safe space, much?

Last yr Williamson and Hayes counties swung 25 points towards Democrats so even the suburbs are being overrun by us "worse than bible-thumping" liberals lol

Old 04-11-2019, 03:13 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
What brta1 said.

Although I have been known to put out my “Kinky Friedman For Governor” yard sign before some November elections just to annoy the neighbors (in a humorous way).

Old 04-11-2019, 04:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brta1 View Post
I've lived in north, south & central Austin between suburban and urban areas in my ten years here and I've yet to really know or care what my neighbor's political views are. Before that I lived in conservative areas of the state and politics never came up with my neighbors at least not often. I've had neighbors rant politically before during conversation but I just ignore it, as long as they're not bothering me I don't care what they tick in the voting booth. I've never been offended by a person's political yard signs even when I'm voting for the other person. Safe space, much?

Last yr Williamson and Hayes counties swung 25 points towards Democrats so even the suburbs are being overrun by us "worse than bible-thumping" liberals lol

As a lifelong Texan who has lived in various parts of the state over the last 70 years, this right here. What Texans care about most is are you a good neighbor. Politics comes way down on the list, if it is on there at all, and usually we don't even know the politics of our neighbors unless there's a sign in their yard during an election year and then that's not important or a topic for discussion.

How boring to live somewhere where everyone is just alike. Sounds like Stepford.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:21 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
What THL said.

My neighbors’ politics are none of my business..... and vice/versa.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:04 AM

since anecdotes are becoming data. I think conservatives actually are pretty good about keeping quiet, especially in this climate. But my liberal neighbors have no problem discussing how much they hate trump.

Conservatives on my facebook feeds are almost silent on politics. I get regular liberal posts from my liberal friends about the latest thing they hate about trump. They will unfriend you if they find out you like trump.

So I can see where the OP is coming from. It has even reached the point where if you like trump you will be ostracized and there is a risk that people will try to get you fired or shut your business down.

Witness the andrews principal that just got fired

Attacks by liberals on the UT campus
https://www.foxnews.com/us/leftist-m...ting-kavanaugh

Most tech companies lean liberal, conservative employees feel silenced (I do think politics has no place at work)
https://www.recode.net/2018/9/14/178...trump-politics

Of course historically conservatives have done the same thing. Ultimately most people are authoritarian if they can get away with it.

Last edited by Austin97; 04-12-2019 at 10:12 AM..

Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 AM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Hating that orange **** and being conservative politically are not mutually exclusive. I regularly identify as a conservative voter but think he's the absolute worst thing that has ever happened to this country.

The problem is people not using their brain and just voting by mascot and protecting their tribe - then shutting themselves in an echo chamber to support that view.

My family is crazy liberal, my neighbor on one side was a Trump guy (he's almost as disgusted as me right now), the other had the Bernie signs out... the only thing we argue about is BBQ, because we're all intelligent people that don't use a mascot as a label.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Actually someone was just let go at my workplace for the opposite. She hadn't been there that long and had one strike against here for something else. But what ended up being the final straw was when she put a derogatory comment about Trump on the company's private forum. Another employee complained that the comment was offensive and inappropriate. After counseling and the person showing she was defiant about it, the company felt it best she find employment elsewhere.
that is interesting, but it sounds like she is exactly the type of person Im talking about (if she had any power) and is substantially different.

People didnt care what views she had only that she not be hostile at work about them. She couldnt actually stop herself from attacking trump (or people that like trump) in a work forum.

It isnt clear to me that racists are automatically conservatives (lots of racists are liberals), but I suspect they might say things like "go back to your own country" to minorities and probably are more likely to be in rural more conservative areas. So I could see how liberals or gays wouldnt want to live in those areas.

Even if most neighbors are fine, it just takes a few to create a hostile neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin