Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 08:56 AM

772 posts, read 1,052,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I did 2 separate instances of temporary assignment in Memphis for 6-8 weeks each and living in a corporate apartment. I was lucky that my DH was able to go with me both times. First time I stayed in Germantown and the second in Collierville. Both are nice areas overall.

The only way Memphis is better than Austin is less traffic and more of a 4 seasons climate. Otherwise, Memphis is not somewhere I'd move to willingly just because of the racial tension and the crime. Its a shame, because otherwise, Memphis has a lot to offer as a city. Knowing my time was limited, we made the best of it and sought out fun things to do and great places to eat but I don’t know that I could do that over a longer period of time.

Something else to consider - businesses have a hard time recruiting and retaining talent since so many people become disillusioned with the place. There’s a pretty high turnover and low morale in a lot of working environments. Before making any decisions, I would go a a long weekend visit and try to get a feel for the areas you’d be working and living in.
Thanks for sharing! Yeah we plan on going there for a couple of days to have a look around. In your opinion, how would you compare Germantown to Austin? Which part of Austin would you compare it to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 04:34 PM

949 posts, read 564,163 times
The majority of blacks here have an attitude and rarely associate with whites. Try and acknowledge one and see the look you get. They do not seem to be able to get over their history or even try and make sense of it.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:09 AM

41 posts, read 23,543 times
Lived in TX, lived in Germantown and East Memphis (shady Grove area).In short, avoid this place like the plague. I would never trade Austin for Memphis, no matter the compensation (and I was an exec like your DH). I hope you don't have to learn the lesson of how bad Memphis truly is, Nashville is head and shoulders above everybody in the region.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 AM

11 posts, read 4,744 times
I accepted a corporate senior level position in Memphis TN, and I lived in a nice burb called Collierville .The only thing I can advise you is don't do it! for too many reasons to list here. We planned out exit within 4 mos of moving there. Big, big mistake. It was not worth the money/compensation package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin