Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 04:48 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,413,416 times

Advertisements

Looks like physical mail, but you might search TravisCAD.org to see if there are other options.

https://www.traviscad.org/wp-content.../03/50-132.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 10:16 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,693,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
TCAD does not access the MLS.

We shall see......And I'm not trying to say that this is necessarily a bad thing:

Travis County Appraisal District got 'unauthorized access' to home price data, ABOR says

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ays/1976910437

Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 PM

Well, makes me chuckle a bit - the issue is really a contractual issue between ABOR and their vendor, it seems, and in no way a 'violation' on the part of TCAD (or at least that is what it looks like on the surface). The article says "Some worry property valuations will rise notably because TCAD may have access to fresh sales data".

Awww....people are worried they might have real data. But, but, but....I protest every year because my appraisal is too high!

Old 05-04-2019, 07:43 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,032,202 times
Quote:
Well, makes me chuckle a bit - the issue is really a contractual issue between ABOR and their vendor, it seems, and in no way a 'violation' on the part of TCAD (or at least that is what it looks like on the surface). The article says "Some worry property valuations will rise notably because TCAD may have access to fresh sales data".

Awww....people are worried they might have real data. But, but, but....I protest every year because my appraisal is too high!

people dont understand the valuations dont matter except relative to each other. So if you have a lower valuation than an equivalent house somewhere else but should be the same, you are saving money over that other person.

If they have more accurate data then the people that are below valuation will have their valuations raised. But that has nothing to do with the total tax collected which is determined by the city, AISD, and other budgets.

Since the total tax doesnt change, if the total valuations go up, then the rate will go down. Some undervalued people will pay more, but some properly valued people will pay less.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
people dont understand the valuations dont matter except relative to each other.
'zactly...

Old 05-04-2019, 08:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
Quote:

Actually, since Texas is a non-disclosure state, this IS a violation on the part of TCAD, and as a Texan I am mightily pissed at them for it (or at whoever in that agency was responsible for authorizing doing this with, let's not forget, taxpayer funds).

Old 05-04-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, since Texas is a non-disclosure state, this IS a violation on the part of TCAD, and as a Texan I am mightily pissed at them for it (or at whoever in that agency was responsible for authorizing doing this with, let's not forget, taxpayer funds).
Non-disclosure means YOU (the buyer/seller/owner) do not have to disclose; however, you generally authorize your agent to make that data available on the MLS (i.e. step-one in 'disclosing'). Now, the agent/MLS probably says somewhere that they will not share that data with anyone other than an authorized user of the MLS, and those users also have ToS that they operate under. But the truth of the matter is that TCAD is, at this point, not a party to any of these agreements. I take in actual sales data (obtained via a registered agent) every time I protest. TCAD is allowed to use that data. If an MLS vendor provides that data to TCAD, that is a failing of the vendor, not TCAD, which has not accessed the MLS itself under this scenario, at least as I understand it. The MLS could likely sue the vendor, but TCAD is quite likely in the clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin