Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:20 PM

448 posts, read 702,316 times

Advertisements

You mean like when people floor it to clear the intersection so they don't get a SCAMera ticket? Yea, I agree that's bad. Another problem with the SCAMeras. Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Note that it does NOT say "Floor it so that you can get across the stop line before the light turns red," either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 02:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
You mean like when people floor it to clear the intersection so they don't get a SCAMera ticket? Yea, I agree that's bad. Another problem with the SCAMeras. Good point.

That's not a problem with the cameras. (You really do sound 12 when you talk like that, by the way.) That's a problem with there not being a test for emotional maturity as part of the criteria for getting a driver's license.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:55 PM

724 posts, read 529,445 times
Quote:
Note that it does NOT say "Floor it so that you can get across the stop line before the light turns red," either.
Please do a modicum of research on this history of these camera intersections.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:59 PM

Sure it is, I have observed it over and over again. People react by slamming on their brakes or flooring it to clear the light to try to avoid a ticket. Not that hard to understand when you think about it. Well at least for most people it isn't that hard. Thanks, that means a lot coming from someone who keeps talking when they have been proven wrong over and over again. You really should go back and figure out all of the points you were wrong on before you attempt to take on anything else. Of course an emotionally mature person such as yourself would have apologized or at least acknowledged your many errors in here but I am not holding my breath. It would require a shred of intellectual honesty you are completely incapable of producing. Until then I guess just enjoy being the least informed person on this issue in this thread.

Quote:
That's not a problem with the cameras. (You really do sound 12 when you talk like that, by the way.) That's a problem with there not being a test for emotional maturity as part of the criteria for getting a driver's license.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:02 PM

Won't happen, she's still stuck on "if you don't like red light cameras you must want to run red lights" When the brain is stuck on that floor the elevator can never get to the top. Some issues are just too complex for some people so they have to settle for platitudes or emotional caves to protect themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Please do a modicum of research on this history of these camera intersections.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
Won't happen, she's still stuck on "if you don't like red light cameras you must want to run red lights" When the brain is stuck on that floor the elevator can never get to the top. Some issues are just too complex for some people so they have to settle for platitudes or emotional caves to protect themselves.
Uh... pot, meet kettle.

Seriously. Polarized takes only pushes people to the margins. Grow up.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:39 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Kindly disputing.

Quote:
Texas Transportation Code 544.007

(e) An operator of a vehicle facing a steady yellow signal is warned by that signal that:
(1) movement authorized by a green signal is being terminated; or
(2) a red signal is to be given.
code (e) reinstates my previous statement that the yellow signal is a WARNING phase that:

#1 right of way is 'being' terminated (but not has BEEN) in the next signal phase (red). There is no statute stating that vehicular traffic crossing a yellow do not have right of way through the intersection. The same applies if someone makes a right turn infront of a car with a yellow traffic light and a collision results, even if the vehicle crossing the yellow sped up, the vehicle making the right turn would still be at fault for failure to yield to right of way.

Quote:
No one instigated this either, this is merely an assumption. If I am casually driving and I approach a yellow and I know I cannot stop for it within reasonable means plainly because I am too close to the intersection, I am not going to try to. This doesnt mean I am speeding up, it just means, I am too close to stop.

HOWEVER

There is also nothing in the law that states it is illegal to speed up to cross an intersection during the yellow phase. The yellow phase contains just as much right of way as green. There was a time where the yellow phase didn't exist, it was only Green and Red but it was difficult to tell when a signal was going to change so drivers ended up running early reds. It was never implemented to slow drivers down, it was only implemented to warn drivers the signal would be changing red soon. Think of it this way, the Yellow signal is really just the last few seconds of a GREEN signal before it turns RED, in legality, thats all it really is.

The only time it is technically illegal to speed up to cross an intersection is if the driver executes excessive accelleration OR exceeds the speed limit.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:20 PM

Which emotional cave am I in or which platitudes am I clinging to? Or were you saying that I believe that people only oppose red light cameras because they want to run red lights? Or that this issue is too complicated for me? Polarized take? What was that? Hard to figure out which one of those you think apply to me but I would love to hear your theory. Plenty grown up, thanks for asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Uh... pot, meet kettle.

Seriously. Polarized takes only pushes people to the margins. Grow up.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Kindly disputing.

code (e) reinstates my previous statement that the yellow signal is a WARNING phase that:

#1 right of way is 'being' terminated (but not has BEEN) in the next signal phase (red). There is no statute stating that vehicular traffic crossing a yellow do not have right of way through the intersection. The same applies if someone makes a right turn infront of a car with a yellow traffic light and a collision results, even if the vehicle crossing the yellow sped up, the vehicle making the right turn would still be at fault for failure to yield to right of way.

No one instigated this either, this is merely an assumption. If I am casually driving and I approach a yellow and I know I cannot stop for it within reasonable means plainly because I am too close to the intersection, I am not going to try to. This doesnt mean I am speeding up, it just means, I am too close to stop.

HOWEVER

There is also nothing in the law that states it is illegal to speed up to cross an intersection during the yellow phase. The yellow phase contains just as much right of way as green. There was a time where the yellow phase didn't exist, it was only Green and Red but it was difficult to tell when a signal was going to change so drivers ended up running early reds. It was never implemented to slow drivers down, it was only implemented to warn drivers the signal would be changing red soon. Think of it this way, the Yellow signal is really just the last few seconds of a GREEN signal before it turns RED, in legality, thats all it really is.

The only time it is technically illegal to speed up to cross an intersection is if the driver executes excessive accelleration OR exceeds the speed limit.

How the heck old are you, anyway? I've been driving in Texas for 54 years now and there have ALWAYS been yellow lights and there were when I was growing up before that and riding in cars.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
How the heck old are you, anyway? I've been driving in Texas for 54 years now and there have ALWAYS been yellow lights and there were when I was growing up before that and riding in cars.
Totally irrelevant. The yellow light was indeed created by the need for a warning phase before the red.

Yellow is not red. It is not illegal to proceed through an intersection on a yellow light, which is why millions of camera tickets have been found invalid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin