U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 08:35 AM

35 posts, read 35,162 times

Advertisements

I am curious about those who have relocated to Austin with the intention of staying, but ended up deciding it wasn’t for them. What were your reasons for deciding to leave? If so, where did you end up deciding to relocate - either back to your original roots or elsewhere? And last, how long did it take for you to come to this decision?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 10:33 PM

3,231 posts, read 1,281,996 times
*crickets*

Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 PM

472 posts, read 268,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManaMist72 View Post
I am curious about those who have relocated to Austin with the intention of staying, but ended up deciding it wasn’t for them. What were your reasons for deciding to leave? If so, where did you end up deciding to relocate - either back to your original roots or elsewhere? And last, how long did it take for you to come to this decision?
What do you mean? Like relocating to Round Rock or Cedar Park etc.? /s

So ... it's kind of like an unspoken rule here. We don't ever talk anything bad about Austin area. Sorta taboo.

But yeah, I've known quite a few who bought in to the hype and got disappointed and left after a couple years. Then there are those who couldn't believe how hot it can get and left. Of course there are always those running away from allergies.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,462,630 times
People who moved here then left are unlikely to still be hanging out on the Austin forum. I can think of half a dozen who have moved here after coming onto the Austin forum and ignoring answers that disagreed with their fantasy idea of Austin -- then left Austin because it didn't measure up to that fantasy.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:09 AM

6,547 posts, read 9,052,289 times
I can think of one poster who, thank goodness, hasn't moved here based on the feedback they've gotten. They were under the impression they could find an apartment and have a good quality of life on a 25k a year salary. He hasn't made the move yet.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 AM

107 posts, read 49,820 times
Allergies may end up a reason to leave. Never had allergies in past, now weekly need for Zyrtec and wife has worse symptoms. If kids start to show similar reaction, need to find easier place to breath.

Carpets have been changed to hardwood, bedrooms have air purifiers.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:44 AM

6,547 posts, read 11,859,473 times
there have been a few posts like this in the past.

I would say

1) cost of living increases
2) allergies
3) too crowded/change of culture
4) never liked it
5) job change, would like to come back

Were the top reasons.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
People who moved here then left are unlikely to still be hanging out on the Austin forum. I can think of half a dozen who have moved here after coming onto the Austin forum and ignoring answers that disagreed with their fantasy idea of Austin -- then left Austin because it didn't measure up to that fantasy.
Well ... while people need to do their due diligence I also don't think this hype of Austin being some kind of a paradise is proper.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpo1 View Post
Allergies may end up a reason to leave. Never had allergies in past, now weekly need for Zyrtec and wife has worse symptoms. If kids start to show similar reaction, need to find easier place to breath.

Carpets have been changed to hardwood, bedrooms have air purifiers.
I know of many who put up with allergies of their own but when it affected their kids they didn't give it a second thought and got out of Central Texas.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:52 AM

7,220 posts, read 13,416,007 times
There have been several regular posters here over the years who struggled with the adjustment and eventually moved away and at least a couple who moved in and pretty rapidly moved out!

It definitely happens, Austin and Texas aren't for everyone. Took me five years to feel at home here.

Some reasons I have seen:

severe allergies
small and closed legal community
lack of director-level jobs
lower COI not offset by lower prevailing wage
no Italian bread, egg sandwiches, heavy metal concerts tours, pro sports, interest in the Patriots (folks from the NE who mistakenly think that their regional experiences/items are universa)
no public land for hiking/hunting
not urban enough -- the entire region can feel like a huge suburb to some
too hot for too long -- some people (and some dogs) just cannot handle the heat and the loong duration of the heat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or