Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 07:59 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,875,598 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the $8 billion I-35 plan.
Thoughts on this?

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...lion-expansion

I'll put my thoughts...

I think it's "fugly" and a boondoggle and won't fix traffic problems, but maybe that's just me. They need to dig out 8 lanes underground and have 4 exits, from the river north they would be Cesar Chavez, 12th, MLK, and Airport. The key to moving traffic is not to have a lot of exits. It would be a cut and cover operation which is cheaper and a 6 lane boulevard (3 lanes each direction) with a bike trail would be built above the tunnel. It would serve as the access road, but it would be a surface street integrated with the street network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,115,957 times
pretty good discussion on reddit austin

I think it is a terrible idea. But nothing will "fix" traffic problems. It will increase capacity though.

I think the state should designate 130 as 635, and then put variable rate tolls on I35.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:39 PM

122 posts, read 95,067 times
That is pretty much what they did with US-75 (Central Expressway) in Dallas. It was a pain while they were doing it but it turned out ok.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:34 AM

12,945 posts, read 13,320,275 times
Anything would be an improvement.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:11 AM

15,267 posts, read 35,607,905 times
Funny - in the video, not a single car is using those overpasses. I guess they could just leave them out .

Old 05-10-2019, 02:00 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,569,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I think it's "fugly" and a boondoggle and won't fix traffic problems, but maybe that's just me. They need to dig out 8 lanes underground and have 4 exits, from the river north they would be Cesar Chavez, 12th, MLK, and Airport. The key to moving traffic is not to have a lot of exits. It would be a cut and cover operation which is cheaper and a 6 lane boulevard (3 lanes each direction) with a bike trail would be built above the tunnel. It would serve as the access road, but it would be a surface street integrated with the street network.
I concur pretty much exactly. I believe the plan they're showing would be designed so that the City of Austin could install parks over the interstate if they were willing to pay for it. TxDOT could easily just work with the city to fund the caps and construct them while the whole interstate is under construction, but that would make too much sense and be too beneficial to Austin for their bosses to approve.

There are a ton of old fuds in TxDOT (and a ton of constituents) that don't understand the concept of weaving reducing the capacity of the lanes involved in weaving action, and they especially don't understand that putting so many weaving zones close together reduces capacity of weaving zones even further. They also don't understand that there's a steep economy of diminishing returns for each lane added to a freeway. More lanes = more lane changes = lower capacity per lane. My traffic modeling experience leads me to say that anything more 4 lanes in each direction is pointless. I can get behind a reversible two-lane tollway in the middle, though, because it encourages public transit and facilitates emergency vehicles.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I concur pretty much exactly. I believe the plan they're showing would be designed so that the City of Austin could install parks over the interstate if they were willing to pay for it. TxDOT could easily just work with the city to fund the caps and construct them while the whole interstate is under construction, but that would make too much sense and be too beneficial to Austin for their bosses to approve.

There are a ton of old fuds in TxDOT (and a ton of constituents) that don't understand the concept of weaving reducing the capacity of the lanes involved in weaving action, and they especially don't understand that putting so many weaving zones close together reduces capacity of weaving zones even further. They also don't understand that there's a steep economy of diminishing returns for each lane added to a freeway. More lanes = more lane changes = lower capacity per lane. My traffic modeling experience leads me to say that anything more 4 lanes in each direction is pointless. I can get behind a reversible two-lane tollway in the middle, though, because it encourages public transit and facilitates emergency vehicles.
Yep, it seems anything more than 4 lanes is pointless, I think 3 lanes and a tolled managed lane is probably the way to go, but it all needs to be underground from the get go.

This is a horrible idea and Dallasifies us.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:03 PM

11,769 posts, read 7,978,594 times
I may differ in opinions on this matter and while it's not the prettiest thing I've seen, I would prefer they do this rather than do NOTHING given Austin does not seem to care much for expanding mass transit.

Texas Highways are awesome in ways but I really wish they could do away with the access roads on ever single highway.

While you may all hate it, it technically IS needed especially given Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation currently ... we cant think of it in terms of what's pretty or ugly but more so...what's necessary.

I do wonder though, given it's a submerged highway, how is it going to cross the river?

Old 05-10-2019, 10:21 PM

256 posts, read 155,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post

The other way of doing it is separating express lanes from local lanes, but Texas has been very slow to adopt that practice (besides the 35 upper level).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I may differ in opinions on this matter and while it's not the prettiest thing I've seen, I would prefer they do this rather than do NOTHING given Austin does not seem to care much for expanding mass transit.

Texas Highways are awesome in ways but I really wish they could do away with the access roads on ever single highway.

While you may all hate it, it technically IS needed especially given Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation currently ... we cant think of it in terms of what's pretty or ugly but more so...what's necessary.

I do wonder though, given it's a submerged highway, how is it going to cross the river?
They do that in the Netherlands all the time, but I think they'll be reconstructing the bridge over Town Lake on this one.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:03 PM

This is like the biggest transportation news in Austin in years and it seems people are just ambivalent at this at best.

There needs to be discussion so that the right thing is done, not just "something".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: