Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 12:20 PM

33 posts, read 69,355 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in this community? What are your thoughts on it thus far? Are you happy living there? Even bigger question, how are the schools in the area? They don’t appear to be great from my research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,642 times
We are also looking to purchase here and I would love to hear anyone's thoughts! One of my huge concerns is the high tax rate - do you feel like it's worth it for the area? No kids here, but hoping that the schools get better as the neighborhood fills out...

Anyone have experience with the builders of the area - Brookfield, David Weekley, Dreamfinders, Pacesetter?

Old 05-29-2019, 01:17 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
IMHO, as a parent, I'd never move into an area hoping that "the schools will get better." While the subdivisions are new, that area is still working class and will probably remain that way for quite awhile. That's no issue if you are planning to remain childless and need an easier commute to your downtown job. You're also paying higher taxes too. What makes that area so appealing that you can't find anywhere else? A subdivision is a subdivision mostly. It all comes down to where said subdivision is located, i.e. zoned to better schools, amenities, etc., topography. That part of Austin doesn't check off many of those boxes I'm sorry to say.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:44 PM

Good points and definitely things we've considered. No future plans for kids, the hope that schools will improve is only for resale value down the road.

Easton Park is one of the only new build communities that I've come across within 10-12 miles of downtown (without known foundation issues) in this price range... unless I'm missing others?

Old 05-29-2019, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,515 times
It's growing like a weed around there, which is good for future values. During rush hour it's about 30 minutes to/from downtown and one of the few parts of Austin left that's within that distance to downtown at its price point. The Goodnight Ranch is a little bit closer to 35 and all the retail east of 35 and I think it is AISD. That neighborhood will feed directly into Austin's new major park, Onion Creek Park when it's all said and done.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:53 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
The Easton Park area is getting new schools, from maps and info I've been given. Where there are new schools, there is better technology and usually the good teachers will follow. Also, so many of the prices out there are much higher than "average working class". Many homes are well over $400k. That's not your typical $50k a year job. Where there is higher income, there are more concerned parents and those concerned parents tend to turn schools into better performing schools as they get involved.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:27 PM

Yes, they just completed the onsite elementary.... that's what I'm thinking - that the neighborhood will end up making the schools?

We checked out Goodnight Ranch as well due to the lower tax rate/proximity to highway and retail - not the biggest fan of the floor plans available right now, they seem a bit cramped. Will definitely keep an eye out as new builders pop up there though!

Old 05-29-2019, 04:45 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The Easton Park area is getting new schools, from maps and info I've been given. Where there are new schools, there is better technology and usually the good teachers will follow. Also, so many of the prices out there are much higher than "average working class". Many homes are well over $400k. That's not your typical $50k a year job. Where there is higher income, there are more concerned parents and those concerned parents tend to turn schools into better performing schools as they get involved.
A smattering of $400k homes isn't going to ultimately change the entire demographic of the area. There's plenty of pockets of higher priced homes but unless all three schools are comprised of only the $400k area, then yeah, you'll see what I'm talking about.

New schools and all the sparkly doodads is a mixed bag. There was a spanking dandy new school in my area that opened and it's decidedly average, despite having a good number of higher income people zoned to it. Why? because the high school zone is far larger than just the higher income neighborhoods.

And it's just the new construction in that area that's asking those crazy prices because the surrounding area is pretty working class, not like there's anything wrong with that. It's just the truth. If you're worried about schools, then sadly (and I truly mean this) income makes a difference. There will be no Eastern Park bubble.

I guess you mean 50k a year as a household because for a single person, it's far more than working class.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:14 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA0324 View Post
Good points and definitely things we've considered. No future plans for kids, the hope that schools will improve is only for resale value down the road.

Easton Park is one of the only new build communities that I've come across within 10-12 miles of downtown (without known foundation issues) in this price range... unless I'm missing others?
There are many new communities being built. New homes and foundations use tensile construction so really this shouldn't be a concern with a new build plus you have a warranty.

Easton is pretty nice and going for a community feel with events etc, we toured the model homes a while back. I think you will see fairly good appreciation too. Lots of families and young professionals moving to this area.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:21 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brta1 View Post
It's growing like a weed around there, which is good for future values.

That's a bit of a two-edged sword, don't you think?
With the non-stop new building(growth), the prices of "used" homes might be held down a bit. Unless there are other factors, many folks will choose new over pre-owned for roughly the same price(or just slightly more).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin