Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 12:03 PM

40 posts, read 148,907 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!

First of all, I've been using this forum as a research platform in finding a new city to move to with my wife, after what it said about Austin (and other sources out there) we took a visit last fall and loved it. So, we will be joining your ranks come the beginning of June! Thanks to a lot of helpful posts on here, we've been able to get a great deal of understand and what to expect when planning a move 1200 miles from home. Ok, ramble over, here's my question..

I am a working freelance web & graphics designer. I am not oppose to werking in an office (though who wants that?!) I am wondering what the market is like for freelance artists out there. I imagine there are alot of new businesses popping up, therefore a lot of work available to help get them started. THough I could be wrong and this is why I ask> Freelance is my dream, is this feasible in Austin?

Thank you in advance for your input(s)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:06 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,174,300 times
There's a lot of us designers moving to Austin.

My college roommate has been down there 2 years now and she's found that she doesn't get near the money she made in DC. Also there are so many UT students that it's hard to get work and when you do get it, people are used to paying UT student prices. It's a broad generalization but it gives you an idea of what you might be up against. She's been unemployed for over a year now but has had a few small freelance projects.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 AM

40 posts, read 148,907 times
Yeah, I've heard that same story. Lots of students staying in that town after they get out of school. I guess I will rely on my skills & hopefully the clients will see - you get what you paid for.

onward & upward!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:35 PM

701 posts, read 2,474,757 times
Craig's List?

I moved from CA and I kept all my clients from back there. If you have existing clients you work with, that might be a good option. We have a Vonage phone so I was able to keep my phone number to make it easier for them. Most of the people I work with are really good about the time difference and it didn't matter much at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin