U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 09:39 AM

13,074 posts, read 13,688,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

I don’t care much for overpriced foo-foo stuff garnished with weed sprigs.
Same here. Sure I'll eat it if available, but won't go out of my way for it.

I don't regularly eat out, with its excessive sodium and calories, but when I do I prefer hyper local joints. My Mexican-American husband would eat soap before he'd eat any popular Tex Mex around here. Then again, nothing can compare to his grandmother, who didn't use measuring spoons and cups and always cooked with love.

Brotherton's BBQ in Pflugerville is good.

I like Gino's in RR, the owners are from New Jersey but I can't quibble about that.

Reales in Austin, haven't been there in years, but as a New Yorker it's pretty dang close to what I ate back home. Plus the owner is from the Bronx, so that's a plus one in my book.

And yes, I openly admit that I enjoy chain food. It may be the same but it's consistent. If I enjoy a particular dish, it's nice to get a similar experience most of the time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 09:55 AM

11,843 posts, read 11,362,193 times
My wife’s signature dish is crepe enchiladas (not the sweet breakfast crepes):

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-13-2021 at 06:58 AM..

Old 07-31-2019, 09:58 AM

11,843 posts, read 11,362,193 times
Rolling a few

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-13-2021 at 06:58 AM..

Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 AM

10,266 posts, read 5,428,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Rudy's BBQ - 46 locations in 5 states
BJ's - 202 locations all over the US
Saltgrass Steakhouse - has a location in atlanta
Grand Lux Cafe (Domain) - has a location in atlanta
Mimi's Bistro & Bakery - has a location in atlanta
There are no Saltgrass Steakhouses in Atlanta. They have Longhorn and Outback.
Grand Lux in Atlanta appears to be pretty new. Its located in Phipps Plaza which I've visited frequently but was not there on my most recent visit.
I already stated Mimi's was in Atlanta. It's near Mall of Georgia.

I havent been to or heard of Rudy's or BJ's before moving here. Those are new to me.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:24 AM

2,831 posts, read 2,831,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
There are no Saltgrass Steakhouses in Atlanta. They have Longhorn and Outback.
Grand Lux in Atlanta appears to be pretty new. Its located in Phipps Plaza which I've visited frequently but was not there on my most recent visit.
I already stated Mimi's was in Atlanta. It's near Mall of Georgia.

I havent been to or heard of Rudy's or BJ's before moving here. Those are new to me.
Don't sweat it, guess some folks read the title as "Your favorite Austin restaurants" and got triggered when someone dared to list a chain. This has come up before with discussions about favorite bbq joints and inevitably someone will mention Rudy's and a chorus of incredulous bbq cognoscenti dismissing the very notion that a mere chain can have some of the best bbq. Eat where you like and don't let folks shame you for your choices.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:46 PM

5,209 posts, read 3,604,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Eat where you like and don't let folks shame you for your choices.
Unless it's Olive Garden. Then be very ashamed.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:08 PM

7,660 posts, read 13,817,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I respect your opinion; but you lost me there. Their fries are as dusty and flavorless as their white buns
They are more natural potato than most fries. Most fries are overly fried, becoming closer to potato chips. If you want a less seasoned more cripsy fry, you can order in-n-out fries extra crispy and they come out like most other places fries.

I like phils ice house buns and hopdoddys, but they are very sweet. In-n-out makes a basic white bread bun.

Keep in mind that in-n-out burgers are $5, make sure you are comparing those burgers with other fast food burgers and not more expensive restaurants.

in-n-out compares favorably to mcdonalds, wendys, burger king, etc.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:38 PM

951 posts, read 455,475 times
Mine have all been run off by the huge tax burden and rent.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:50 PM

31,096 posts, read 19,464,545 times
Some new favorites;

Wild
Shore

Old 07-31-2019, 03:51 PM

8,965 posts, read 16,064,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
They are more natural potato than most fries. Most fries are overly fried, becoming closer to potato chips. If you want a less seasoned more cripsy fry, you can order in-n-out fries extra crispy and they come out like most other places fries.

I like phils ice house buns and hopdoddys, but they are very sweet. In-n-out makes a basic white bread bun.

Keep in mind that in-n-out burgers are $5, make sure you are comparing those burgers with other fast food burgers and not more expensive restaurants.

in-n-out compares favorably to mcdonalds, wendys, burger king, etc.
I would pay for a MOOYAH burger($5.69 and choice of bun) vs getting a free In n Out burger and I'm 0 for 2 on In n Out fries...just dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin