U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 09:52 PM

172 posts, read 151,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
When I lived in Austin I used to go to Rudy's for breakfast burritos - great food.
My favorite dining spot was Chuy's just south of the town lake not too far from Congress.
Did they actually serve you when you called them burritos?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 10:15 PM

8,965 posts, read 16,065,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post
Grab n go...nobody's the wiser

Old 08-07-2019, 02:55 PM

455 posts, read 445,292 times
One that always comes up on BBQ lists that I don't really get is Valentina's. It's unfortunate because it is the closest 'premium' BBQ place near me. I find the prices to be incredibly high for the skiddo-can and dirt floor atmosphere, the service to be a bit surly and slow, and the food to be just okay. The whole operation just feels minimum effort for maximum prices charged.

I'd rather go to Brown's truck or any of the places run by the many members of the Black family before Valentina's.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:01 PM

I haven't tried it, but have heard great reviews of Whitfield's on Brodie. It just reopened after a few months hiatus. They lost their pit man, so we'll see how they go.

I've also heard rave reviews about Leroy and Lewis BBQ on South Congress just north of Ben White. I need to try it soon.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:14 AM

951 posts, read 455,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post
It's okay. Burritos are larger than tacos.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:24 PM

And have a different presentation.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 PM

994 posts, read 1,174,748 times
Justine's for sure, the Home Slice off Airport, and Rudy's. And Central Market where the whole family can eat/drink for $40 and enjoy live music. (and a playground)

Old 08-18-2019, 11:14 AM

20,964 posts, read 42,475,202 times
If you're Texan and willing to drive more than 15 minutes (we regularly drive up to an hour to find hidden tasty places), I have a new favorite BBQ place, and it's in Georgetown. Hesitant to tell anyone about it, lest it be ruined, but I also want them to stay in business. Jimmy Vegas. The owner is both a pit boss and a chef, so the offerings are greater than the usual, though the usual is certainly top of the game.

And, yes, if you're going for consistent, Rudy's is adequate BBQ. My problem with it is not because it's a chain, but because it's adequate, but doesn't belong on any list of great 'cue.

El Pitayo in Jarrell is likewise worth the drive for Mexican food.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:39 PM

109 posts, read 49,967 times
For Breakfast, I like Chez Zee on Balcones in Austin and the Monument Cafe in Georgetown. For a fun dinner, I like Blue Corn Harvest in Georgetown.

I know you said Austin, but I think these are worth mentioning.

Restaurants I'm not all that all impressed by even though everyone seems to love them are Jack Allen's and Hopdoddy (just don't understand what all the fuss is about these places).

Old 08-18-2019, 06:17 PM

535 posts, read 1,179,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
If anyone can explain the crazed popularity of places like In n Out or P. Terry's, they can probably sell ice cubes to Eskimos. ( And can probably explain why ANYbody likes cilantro )
In n Out’s burgers okay, but I akin their fries to what the texture of eating foam may be like. And P.Terry’s is a poor excuse for a burger....unflavorful, thin. If it weren’t for them bulking the burger up with tons of pickles and lettuce you’d never even know there was a patty on there. And their fries are oily and droopy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin