U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:05 AM

4,721 posts, read 7,996,323 times

Advertisements

Tacos: El Chilito on Manor
Mexican: Curra's
Date Night: Justine's, Jacoby's
Study spot coffee: Epoch North Loop
Ramen: Ramen Tatsu-ya on Research
Pizza: Pinthouse, East Side Pies
Ice Cream: Lick
Burgers: get the Bulgogi at Burger Tex
Thai: Titaya's, though I do wonder if their quality is declining with popularity
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 02:26 PM

4,207 posts, read 3,738,513 times
Does anybody know of any bbq joints in Austin that serves "Southern" style pork bbq that's dripping with a spicy hot and sweet tasting bbq sauce? I don't believe I've ever heard of any bbq place in Austin like that. It looks like there would be a market for it in a foodie/restaraunt town such as Austin, where people tend to be a bit adventurous in their fondness of different styles of food.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:04 PM

8,965 posts, read 16,067,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Does anybody know of any bbq joints in Austin that serves "Southern" style pork bbq that's dripping with a spicy hot and sweet tasting bbq sauce? I don't believe I've ever heard of any bbq place in Austin like that. It looks like there would be a market for it in a foodie/restaraunt town such as Austin, where people tend to be a bit adventurous in their fondness of different styles of food.
Pulled pork is tough enough to find!!! I wonder if SLAB would have the sauce you seek? I don't think they would sauce the pork before serving; but it might be an option to try.

Pok E Joe's messed up when they started simmering their pulled pork in some sort of peach habanero sauce or some such.

Rudy's WAY over sauced their pulled pork experiment so much that I don't know if they even serve it any more.

Are you looking for a mustard base??? Like South Carolina? or vinegar based with sweetness added like central North Carolina???....or something I'm not aware of???

Old 09-21-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Pulled pork is tough enough to find!!! I wonder if SLAB would have the sauce you seek? I don't think they would sauce the pork before serving; but it might be an option to try.

Pok E Joe's messed up when they started simmering their pulled pork in some sort of peach habanero sauce or some such.

Rudy's WAY over sauced their pulled pork experiment so much that I don't know if they even serve it any more.

Are you looking for a mustard base??? Like South Carolina? or vinegar based with sweetness added like central North Carolina???....or something I'm not aware of???
It doesn't have a vinegar taste so it must be mustard based. I know I like it sweet and spicy and so hot that it will make my nose run and my eyes water and cause me to break into a sweat and it tastes so damn good it makes my eyes roll back in my head. The best ribs I ever had in Austin was Stubb's when he was located in the Travel Lodge Motel on the lower deck of I-35. The St. Louis ribs at Rudy's are good, but they couldn't hold a candle to Stubb's.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:09 PM

3,209 posts, read 9,419,499 times
My Top 5 favorite restaurants in Austin are

Cherry Creek Catfish (Manchaca just south of Stassney)
Evangeline Cafe (Brodie Lane)
Pok-E-Jo's (only been to the one on TX 360)
Cypress Grill (William Cannon)
Rio Grande Tex-Mex (Central Commerce in Pflugerville)

Old 05-25-2021, 07:05 PM

728 posts, read 260,381 times
Chuy's - Multiple Locations
Salt Trader's Coastal Cooking - Round Rock and Mopac
The Fox Hole - 183
The League - West Parmer/Avery Ranch

Old 05-26-2021, 10:00 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,813,816 times
A few of our favorites:

Jack Allen’s
Matt’s El Rancho
Jeffrey’s
La Piscina
Cafe Malta

Old 05-26-2021, 04:11 PM

I was glad to see a Taco Bueno open nearby on Wm Cannon just west of I-35 where the Burger King use to be. It's fast food but it's one of the best fast food Mexican restaraunts in the region.

The best fast food Mexican in the region in my opinion is Taco Palenque on Northbound 35 in New Braunfels. They are out of Laredo. I would love for a Taco Palenque to come to far South Central Austin.

A local favorite Mexican restaraunt of mine is Casa Garcia's in the strip center on SE corner of Manchaca at Wm Cannon. It's been there for at least 30 years and have a good business but it don't seem like it gets the recognition it deserves.

Another favorite in South Austin is Flore's on West Wm Cannon almost Oak Hill. It's west of the Torchy's Tacos.

Would also love for a Taco Deli and a Tacorrido to come to Far South Central Austin. Southpark Meadows would be a great location for either of them and a Taco Palenque would be a good fit. Convenient off and on to 35.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:32 PM

10,278 posts, read 5,439,569 times
Since this has been resurrected, I tried Via313 a few days ago and it was pretty good...

Between Via313 and Home Slice Pizza .. .. any preference?

Old 05-26-2021, 04:34 PM

11,849 posts, read 11,367,561 times
Our first indoor dining in 16 months at our favorite neighborhood TexMex joint - 4pm - Santiago’s on 620 just west of Round Rock.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-13-2021 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin